• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAR Tech

Anyone have any idea if the trade will be opening up again in the new year? Also, any input on how long the process takes (Application to BMQ) for Direct entry applicants?

Hey folks,
I've been working up an application for DE over the last year and a half (SCUBA, Jump license, heavy PT, GSAR, Rescue courses, etc.) and am starting my PCP program in the spring. However, while digging through the pararescue site I just noticed that the DE program is up for review in 2012. I'm wondering if any serving members/SAR TECHS would be able to comment on how the DE program has been received and if it's likely to continue. My assumption may be incorrect, but my current age (37) pretty much precludes joining up and going that route (getting in during cutbacks, MOC qualified, remuster, etc. probably sees me over 42 before I'd get a first shot).
I intend to continue regardless, but for the first time since I learned of the trade (I'm a new Canadian/Irish ex-pat) I'm facing a moment to pause and consider the way forward.
Any input would be much appreciated.
regards,
Irish

The candidates we have received thru the DE program are of an equally high calibre as the "traditional" military remusters. Once graduated from SAR Tech course, a SAR Tech is a SAR Tech, and nobody gives a sh1t where you came from. Hopefully the program will continue, I have no idea. We are such a small trade, that a few people over or under our establishment makes a huge difference. good luck. seems to me you are well educated and motivated for the training, and yes, direct entry may be preferred for you. But we have had remusters in their 40's, and they are great SAR techs.

Gully

This question may seem redundant but I've read all posts and could not find an answer.

I'll be obtaining my PCP Certificate from Criti Care in Manitoba soon and I'm extremely interested in DE SAR Tech. I've talked to multiple recruiters but have recieved no help. The SAR Tech site mentions the particular provinces which they require PCP certificates from and I noticed Manitoba was not on the list. I know paramedics that have went through both Saskatchewan and Manitoba PCP programs and have mentioned how Manitoba was much harder with more skills which is what confuses me about why Saskatchewan PCP certification is on their list and Manitoba is not.

Is SAR Tech looking at a particular set of skills they require or just certification from one of those provinces?

Also, would it be accepted to just receive a Saskatchewan PCP license through transfer (as in challenge their provinces test to get a license) because I know their provincial testing would be easy to acquire.

put in your application, and let training command, or whatever they call themselves, Dmil Pers C++ or whatever, figure out whether you got what they want. Wish I could be more help.

good luck,
Gully

kj_gully said:
Part of the reason the SAR Tech trade went with direct entry was to reduce the age of the trade.

That should have an effect. Most new Paramedics I have met go into the program straight out of high school, and then onto the job market.

Just wondering...I know there's 3 levels of paramedics such as primary care, advanced care and critical care..for DE SAR, would it be to your advantage to take an extra 2 years of schooling for the critical care paramedic before you apply for SAR?

-db- said:
Just wondering...I know there's 3 levels of paramedics such as primary care, advanced care and critical care..for DE SAR, would it be to your advantage to take an extra 2 years of schooling for the critical care paramedic before you apply for SAR?

Critical Care Paramedics transfer critically ill patients between hospital intensive care units. They do not rescue people:
http://www.torontoems.ca/main-site/service/cctu.html

The SAR techs do have to transport patients they rescue...however, they work under protocols, so to answer the poster's question, probably wouldn't be worth it, as you wouldn't likely be able to practice within your scope as an ACP/CCP.

MM

looking for some advice on the SAR Tech trade.  I am a civilian, 38 and am a very fit competitive athlete, no paramedic training.  I am considering paramedic training in prep for SAR but am intimidated not by the physical aspect of the trade but by the mental aspect of the selection process. Can anyone provide more info on the mental challenges of basic training and the Jarvis Lake selection process.  Also, I have read about direct entry by a civilian with no paramedic training but had civilian SAR training in BC.  Anyone know if this is possible?  Thanks

sar tech envy said:
Also, I have read about direct entry by a civilian with no paramedic training but had civilian SAR training in BC.  Anyone know if this is possible?  Thanks

You should ask a Recruiter. But, what it says on their website is: "To be selected for SAR TECH training, the applicant must possess a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) Certificate from one of the following provincial programmes: B.C. (PCP), Alb. (EMT-P), Sask. (PCP), Ont. (PCP), N.S. (PCP), P.E.I.":
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/searchandrescuetechnician-11#qr

Hi, I'm studying to become a paramedic in Montréal, Qc. I would be really interested to become a SAR Tech, but Québec isn't in the list of accepted paramedic certificate. Can anyone tell me why and how to still be able to apply to become a SAR Tech by direct entry?

Thank you
Maxime

AngelDelacroix said:
but Québec isn't in the list of accepted paramedic certificate.

Maybe the question you should be asking is why they don't accept Quebec's accreditation?  Is your training lacking something the other provinces provide?  Is your training done in french (the Airforce only speaks English).

If you are still in training and really want to direct enter the ST trade - maybe you should stop training in Quebec and take the Ontario course.

The reason why it's not acceptable is most likely due to CMA accreditation, or in your case, a lack of it.  Try to find one that is accredited.

MM

I'm not entirely certain that the accreditation is the issue.  There are in fact 3 CMA accredited colleges in Quebec, as well as in other provinces not noted to be accepted into the Sar Tech direct entry, as compared to the CMA website ( Ref: http://www.cma.ca/index.php/ci_id/50602/la_id/1.htm ) . 

It might be a lack of particular subjects taught in that particular program directly associated to the career of a SAR Tech, but this or any other reason would just be speculation on my part.  This is a subject best to be taken up with a recruiter, because they would be able to give you a definite reason.  Even if they didn't readily have the answer, they would most likely be able to get in touch with someone whom will be able to give you an answer, both why and if this is in fact possible. 

AngelDelacroix said:
I would be really interested to become a SAR Tech, but Québec isn't in the list of accepted paramedic certificate.

It may, or may not, have something to do with Labour Mobility.
"Paramedic Regulators from every province except Quebec met in Toronto December 2 and 3, 2008, to consider how to meet the requirements of the amended provincial-territorial agreement on Labour Mobility under the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT).:
http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/ema/com_1.html

Best bet is to ask a Recruiter.

I'll sure get in touch with my local recruting center, but I was just wondering if any of you guys knew why Québecc wasn't on the list since I'll only be near my local recruting center next week.
The college I'm presently studying in, College Aguntsic, is a training center for paramedics of the CF in Québec, it is accredited by the CMA and is conform with the National Occupational Competency Profiles (NOCP).
It is a 2 085 hours program (3 years), given in french.

But it is the exception, not the norm.
Most PCP trained in Québec have a 945h program not accredited by the CMA and not conform the the NOCP.

But thanks for your replies
Maxime

Zoomie said:
Maybe the question you should be asking is why they don't accept Quebec's accreditation?  Is your training lacking something the other provinces provide?  Is your training done in french (the Airforce only speaks English).
If you are still in training and really want to direct enter the ST trade - maybe you should stop training in Quebec and take the Ontario course.

Unless you are posted in Bagotville  >:D

I've been to my local recruiting center today and they told me that paramedics withing the DEC will be allowed to try the direct entry program but not those with the AEC.

Back