• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sapper Greenfield Killed in Afghanistan- Jan/ 31/ 2009

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
CBC NEWSWORLD reporting a 2 CER Spr was killed today in Afghanistan.

MORE TO FOL.....

Canadian soldier killed by bomb in Afghanistan
Last Updated: Saturday, January 31, 2009 | 5:08 PM ET CBC News

A Canadian soldier was killed by a roadside bomb Saturday near Kandahar city, the military reported.

Sapper Sean David Greenfield, 25, was a combat engineer based in Petawawa, Ont.

He is the second Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan in 2009, bringing the Canadian military's death toll to 108 since the Afghan mission began seven years ago.

One Canadian diplomat and two Canadian aid workers have also been killed.

A bomb exploded under Greenfield's armoured vehicle in the Zhari district, about 40 kilometres west of Kandahar city.

None of the other soldiers in the vehicle was hurt, said Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, commander of coalition forces in Kandahar province.

Greenfield was part of a mission looking for Taliban supplies, and the soldiers did find weapons and bomb-making material, Thompson said.

"Today we grieve, but tomorrow we'll persevere," he told reporters.

Greenfield was very fit and a singer and guitar player, Thompson said.

"He will be sorely missed."

Violent winter
The Taliban usually attack during the warmer months and have tended to lie low in the winter, but this year they have stepped up their attacks.

Eleven Canadian soldiers have been killed since early December, all in bomb attacks.

Coalition forces have gone after the Taliban hideouts and have been finding weapons. But the caches have been smaller than previous finds, indicating the effort to choke off the militant's supply line is working, Thompson said.

Greenfield was with the 24 Field Engineer Squadron, 2 Combat Engineer Regiment, serving with the 3rd Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group.

Canadian soldier killed by IED in Afghanistan
Updated Sat. Jan. 31 2009 4:43 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A Canadian soldier was killed in Afghanistan Saturday as he participated in a major operation to locate bomb-making factories in Taliban territory.

Sapper Sean David Greenfield, 25, was killed when the armoured vehicle he was riding in struck an improvised explosive device in the Zhari district, west of Kandahar city.

"It is with a heavy heart that I announce that a Canadian soldier was killed today," Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, Canada's top military commander in Afghanistan, said in a statement.

Greenfield was killed at the tail end of a joint operation with American and British troops to root out the Taliban's bomb-making abilities.

"The mission in question was meant to go into a zone, the western part of Panjwaii and Zhari districts in order to go after specific Taliban compounds of interest, where we did find. . .bomb-making material and other weapons," Thompson said.

The incident occurred as hundreds of soldiers fanned out over 20 kilometres, looking for Taliban weapons caches.

The other soldiers in the vehicle were not hurt, Thompson said.

Greenfield was a member of 24 Field Engineer Squadron, 2 Combat Engineer Regiment based out of Petawawa, Ont., serving with the 3rd Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group.

Thompson described Greenfield as exceptionally fit and said the young soldier recently completed a combat diver's course. He added that Greenfield aspired to join JTF2, Canada's elite and secretive special forces team.

Greenfield was described as having a great sense of humour and someone who loved to sing and play guitar.

A deadly winter

The Taliban have kept up a deadly offensive throughout this winter, a new tactic. In previous winters the Taliban hid in the mountains to regroup in advance of fighting in the spring.

Eleven Canadian soldiers have been killed since December, all in roadside bomb attacks.

The Taliban claims the deaths are part of a new aggressive campaign aimed at coalition forces.

Canadian military officials have attributed the deaths to bad luck and have dismissed the Taliban's claims.

Improvised explosive devices (IEDs) continue to plague Canadian troops in Afghanistan. IEDs are responsible for more than half of all Canadian troop deaths in the country, which now total 108.

Canadian soldiers have ramped up efforts to seek out IED materials in recent months.

In early January, Operation Shahi Tandar (Royal Thunder), a joint operation between Canadian, British and Afghan troops, seized detonators, wires and tubes, and other bomb-making materials.

Saturday's search yielded even more material that would be used to make IEDs.

"The engineers went in and found what seems to be a bit of a false wall," Platoon Commander Lieut. Aron Corey told reporters. "In behind that were some spools of wire, the same type of wire that's used in IEDs."

Thompson said that the weapon caches found Saturday were smaller than the ones they have found in the past.

"The size of the caches that were found ... (are) not as spectacular as previous finds, which is certainly an indication that we're whittling it down," he said.

"I can tell you that the intelligence we have leads us to certain areas. Tends to be the same areas; these people are creatures of habit. And when we go back, if we find that the stocks are lowered, then clearly they're having trouble re-supplying themselves."

160_cp_Greenfield_090131.jpg

Sapper Sean David Greenfield is pictured in this undated handout photo. (THE CANADIAN PRESS / DND)

Another sad day for everyone, especially for Spr Greenfield's family.  

My heart goes out to them and all of his brother beavers.

RIP Sapper Sean David Greenfield  :cdn:

Your job is done, now let us do ours!

Thank you.

News Release
One Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan
CEFCOM NR–09.002 - January 31, 2009

OTTAWA– One Canadian soldier was killed when his armoured vehicle struck an improvised explosive device about 40 km west of Kandahar City in Zharey District.  The incident occurred at approximately 2:45 p.m., Kandahar time, on January 31, 2009.

Killed in action was Sapper Sean Greenfield from 2 Combat Engineer Regiment based at CFB Petawawa.  Sapper Greenfield was a member of 24 Field Engineer Squadron and was serving with the 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group.

The remaining members of the vehicle crew underwent a medical examination as a precautionary measure and were subsequently returned to duty.

The soldiers were participating in an ongoing operation when the incident occurred.

All members of Task Force Kandahar are thinking of the family and friends of Sapper Greenfield during this difficult time.  We will not forget his sacrifice as we continue to bring security and hope to the people of Kandahar Province

The Final Inspection
Author Unknown

The soldier stood and faced God,
Which must always come to pass,
He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his shoulders and
said, "No, Lord, I guess I ain't,
Because those of us who carry guns,
Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,
And at times my talk was tough,
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep,

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here,
They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was a silence all around the throne,
Where the saints had often trod,
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, you soldier,
You've borne your burdens well,
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."

RIP Sapper.  :salute:

Condolences to the family and loved ones.

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the death of Sapper Sean Greenfield
January 31, 2009

OTTAWA— My husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I were overwhelmed when we heard that another Canadian Forces soldier, Sapper Sean Greenfield from 2 Combat Engineer Regiment based at CFB Petawawa, was fatally wounded by an improvised explosive device while conducting a security patrol, 40 km west of Kandahar City.

Attacks like these are ongoing and violence continues to rage in Afghanistan. The bravery and determination with which Canadian soldiers conduct their work and face terror on a daily basis is truly astounding. They are convinced of the importance of helping the Afghan people, of standing up to hatred, and of achieving security, which is an absolute necessity for reconstruction and human development in a country so filled with despair.

Our hearts and thoughts are with Sapper Sean Greenfield’s family, friends and comrades in arms, as they have suffered a heartbreaking loss. We know their sorrow is inconsolable. On behalf of all Canadians, we offer them our sincerest condolences and our utmost respect for everything he so generously accomplished before he paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Michaëlle Jean

-30-

Media Information
Isabelle Serrurier
Rideau Hall Press Office
613-998-7280
www.gg.ca
www.citizenvoices.gg.ca

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada
31 January 2009
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan:

“On behalf of all Canadians, I would like to offer my deepest condolences to the family, friends and comrades of Sapper Sean Greenfield, an engineer who died today in Afghanistan when his armoured vehicle struck an improvised explosive device in the Zharey District.

“We also wish a full and swift recovery to his four comrades who were injured in the same attack and thank them for their dedicated service.

“The Canadian mission in Afghanistan is a difficult one, but the Canadian Forces are making a difference in the lives of the Afghan people by maintaining security and stability that will allow the country to rebuild and look to the future. 

“The Government of Canada and all Canadians are proud of our men and women of the Canadian Forces who bravely give their all in support of this United Nations-mandated, NATO-led mission.

“Sapper Greenfield’s sacrifice will not be forgotten.”

R.I.P Sapper  :cdn: :salute:

I am confused though, were the others in the vehicle injured or not?

None of the other soldiers in the vehicle was hurt, said Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, commander of coalition forces in Kandahar province.

“We also wish a full and swift recovery to his four comrades who were injured in the same attack and thank them for their dedicated service.

Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the fallen  :salute:

Back