• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sailor who doubled in size wins disability benefits

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
medicineman said:
They came out with a 10 BX as well - my Dad was addicted to doing it back in the 70's and 80's.

It's still out there,

US Supreme Court Justice use RCAF Workout to Stay in Shape.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/116551.0
"I do the Canadian Air Force exercises almost every day."

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, an 81-year old cancer survivor.

10BX .pdf
http://www.thepathoftruth.com/mundane-matters-of-importance/10BX-exercise-for-women.pdf

Journeyman said:
All this discussion of fitness while sailing is moot; I gather the point was this chunky monkey was unable to workout because he was physically tied to a chair and force-fed deep fried food for 20 years. Not easy doing cardio when bound to a chair, and the only carbs burned are the reps from chewing Kentucky fried Mars bars...  :nod:

Easy. Just schedule 2 hours of firefighting practice each day for all hands. :)

I sailed for 15 years off and on. I put on weight just like mostly everyone else. The food on the boats was fatty and there was an ability to eat 5 meals a day (B'fast, soup, lunch, supper, midnight meal). The question in my mind is how much do we take personal responsibility for and how much was outside our control. The sailor was able to prove his genetics made him particularly susceptible to the old deep fried diet on the boats.
We all know how difficult it is to meet the VAC requirements. I'm therefore willing to cut this guy a break.

He proved he had a different diet before, which was a polar opposite to what he got on ship. But he also claimed they constantly ran out of fresh fruit and vegetables, and most of us are questioning why he wasn't capable of eating well in dock, and working out to cut down the weight gain.

At least they only gave him 1/5th.

PuckChaser said:
He proved he had a different diet before, which was a polar opposite to what he got on ship. But he also claimed they constantly ran out of fresh fruit and vegetables, and most of us are questioning why he wasn't capable of eating well in dock, and working out to cut down the weight gain.

At least they only gave him 1/5th.

Back in the day (early 90's) ships never had workout gear and we routinely ran out of fresh fruit and veg sometimes doing 35 days or more at sea which back then was a lot for the steamers. While alongside we did have the option to workout but back then it was absent from the navy culture. These days there's no excuse.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
You want a good work out at sea?

Go clear a halyard in sea state five or above  :nod:

Seriously though, while there is a combination of ship movement and dangers onboard ship that restrict us in getting a work out, we all have to admit that at times when such work outs were possible we have all been guilty of laziness and preferring to get some more shut eye instead of exercising (though I would never blame anyone from sleeping off, on a calm day, when we just went through a multiple days storm where all we could do is wedge ourselves in a corner of a compartment and stay awake in our bunks, resisting the rolls trying to throw us out of there.)
Nope, nope and nope. Last time I did that I unzipped my pants for an extra point of contact on the ladder. And it wasn't even SS 5.

Chief Stoker said:
Back in the day (early 90's) ships never had workout gear and we routinely ran out of fresh fruit and veg sometimes doing 35 days or more at sea which back then was a lot for the steamers. While alongside we did have the option to workout but back then it was absent from the navy culture. These days there's no excuse.
Actually I recall doing sit ups etc on work out mats on board NIPIGON after they removed the mortar-Mortar Well Gym and that would have been 85-86. Then posted to GATINEAU and we had stationary bikes and mats throughout the ship. Nowadays though, I think it is an individual responsibility and if you chose not to utilize the equipment available (or even walk 'laps' around the FD for f***s sake) then I think YOU are the problem, not the Navy.

Ah, but, they gave him something.  They are not shy at ******* you off quickly if they're not satisfied and you don't prove your case.  I agree, he probably could have taken (more) action to mitigate the effects of the navy diet as he experienced it as could have I ( and sadly why as I said I'm not necessarily half the man I used to be.  I wasn't at one time called the "Duff Buzzard" for nothing).

Going on with Chief Stoker, the chap at the centre did I'd wager spend time in the earlier days where it wasn't all muscle beach and tofu of today.  I expect his 1/5th award wasn't given without due consideration for all the evidence put before them.

Pat in Halifax said:
Actually I recall doing sit ups etc on work out mats on board NIPIGON after they removed the mortar-Mortar Well Gym and that would have been 85-86. Then posted to GATINEAU and we had stationary bikes and mats throughout the ship. Nowadays though, I think it is an individual responsibility and if you chose not to utilize the equipment available (or even walk 'laps' around the FD for f***s sake) then I think YOU are the problem, not the Navy.

Terra Nova is the early 90's had zero workout gear and the culture didn't exactly promote fitness. You were often pissed on watch as well. I personally never saw anyone doing push ups on watch either. Yes its a individuals responsibility then and now but back in the day fitness and a healthy lifestyle was not encouraged.

Back