• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Saddam sentenced to death by hanging

nova_flush said:
Imprison him. Initially, I thought most Canadians would agree with the fact that we shouldn’t hang him. I say prison for life. If we kill him then he'll never feel what he did wrong.

Do you really think he would if he were imprisoned for life? I kind of doubt that myself...

The problem with your arguement nova, is that Saddam believes that in the eyes of Allah that he did absolutely nothing wrong- that in fact the atrocities he committed he did so under the urgings of Allah. So if he did nothing wrong in his mind, how is he ever going to feel remorse for his actions?  All he'll do is rot, and maybe have the chance to escape or be used as a bargaining tool should some terrorist group make a demand for his release.  Execution is the only sensible means in my mind for a case such as his. (and yes, I'm an advocate of the death penalty).

If anyone would like me to explain the appeal process, I'd be happy to do so in order to save us all speculative diatribes.  Just one minor comment, an announcement that Saddam's lawyer intend to appeal does not tumble down to actually being given leave to appeal. As I said before, we wait. 

I believe it's customary for death penalties to have automatic appeal.

My opinion is that death penalties must be reserved for the worst cases. This would very much qualify.

niner domestic said:
If anyone would like me to explain the appeal process, I'd be happy to do so in order to save us all speculative diatribes.  Just one minor comment, an announcement that Saddam's lawyer intend to appeal does not tumble down to actually being given leave to appeal. As I said before, we wait. 

One part of the appeal process that was quoted on the news intrigued me. They (CTV) pointed out that if they lose the appeal, then the sentence is carried out within 30 days, irregardless of whether he is involved in another trial or not. Could this be correct?

Nothing he did was commited in the name of Allah and I know for sure that no part of the Quran can justify his action.
I'm interested in the your coment specialy for this part

Bobby Rico said:
some terrorist group make a demand for his release. 

Your argument makes sense and it is indeed is a big pro for his execution, but what is Saddam learning from his death? I see it more like a favor we are doing him since we saving him the long years of imprisonment . At least in jail, he'll known what it feels like to be imprisoned since he did it to soo many people.

nova_flush said:
Imprison him. Initially, I thought most Canadians would agree with the fact that we shouldn’t hang him. I say prison for life. If we kill him then he'll never feel what he did wrong.

Ummmmm, I don't think this guy has a conscience... ::)

I believe you're as likely to have angels fly out yer arse as that to happen..."Saddam's Remorse"...

nova_flush said:
but what is Saddam learning from his death? I see it more like a favor we are doing him since we saving him the long years of imprisonment . At least in jail, he'll known what it feels like to be imprisoned since he did it to soo many people.

If he is tried by a legitimate court in the country he committed the atrocities in, found guilty, and then hanged, the government has, in the eyes of it's people, done everything fairly. They are better off with him dead. Hanging around in prison would allow the insurgency to use his presence as a motivator.

Saddam is much a moslem as I am (I'm Roman Catholic, by the way), his "appeals" to Allan fly in the face of moslems everywhere.  To say that he felt the urgings of Allah  to do what he did is heresy

(response to niner domestic)
Hmm, the question then would remain, how many appeals does the defense come up with? If their court systems are anything like ours, then they can't carry out final sentancing until all of the appeals have been exhausted.  And you KNOW the defence will be looking into every single avenue in which to form an appeal.

About Allah- remember in the middle east state and religion are very much combined.  Anything the state does is essentially the will of Allah.  Additionally, lets not forget that Al'Qaeda proclaims to commit terrorist acts in the name of Allah.  Obviously though, these are all examples of extremist Muslim thinking, and to civilized Muslims, it's all completely contradictory to their beliefs.

The appeal process may take up to 2007 to exhaust because there is no specific time frame/limit on the appeal process.  Under article 25 of the Statute of the Iraqi High Tribunal, the convicted have a right to appeal in cassation to the Tribunal's 9 judge Appeal Chamber which may affirm, reverse or revise the decision of the trial chamber.  The lodging of an appeal must occur within 15 days of the trial decision (mandated by the Iraqi Code of Criminal Procedure # 23 of 1971. If th defendants do not submit an appeal within 15 days, an automatic (this is where some of the confusion lies with automatic procedure - 9D) review is required within 10 days before the Appeals Chamber in cases where a death sentence or life imprisonment has been given.  There is no time limit on the appeals review process.  

Article 27 of the Statute of Iraqi High Tribunal states that following a final decision, The "Penalites shall be enforceable within 30 days of the sentence or decision reaching finality". Article 27 also precludes any authority, including the presidentof the republic from pardoning or reducing the penalties issued by the Tribunal. A special law was established at the time of Saddam's trial the excluded any pardons or commuting of sentences by the Iraqi presdent.  A nine-member appeals panel will consider the application's merits according to whether there have been any errors of law, procedure or fact. Submission of briefs and oral arguments will be allowed.

Bobby Rico said:
About Allah- remember in the middle east state and religion are very much combined.  Anything the state does is essentially the will of Allah.  Additionally, lets not forget that Al'Qaeda proclaims to commit terrorist acts in the name of Allah.  Obviously though, these are all examples of extremist Muslim thinking, and to civilized Muslims, it's all completely contradictory to their beliefs.

Iraq under Saddam was definately a secular regime.  In 1990/91, Saddam made appeals to both Mohammed and Jesus Christ, as there is a significant Christian population in Iraq.  (Wasn't/Isn't Tariq Aziz Christian?).

nova_flush said:
Imprison him. Initially, I thought most Canadians would agree with the fact that we shouldn’t hang him.
That thought never even crossed my mind.... never.
nova_flush said:
I say prison for life. If we kill him then he'll never feel what he did wrong.
So waste food, money and perfectly good air on him?

I agree. He should be imprisoned for life in a hermically sealed cell; with no food, water, or precious oxygen.

Now THAT is a way for him to think about what he has done.

Iran weighs in on the subject of Saddam's future.

TEHRAN, Iran -
Iran called on
Iraq on Tuesday to carry out its death sentence on
Saddam Hussein, saying the former dictator who waged an eight-year war against Iran in the 1980s was a criminal who deserved to die.

"We hope the fair, correct and legal verdict against this criminal ... is enforced," government spokesman Gholam Hossein Elham told a news conference.

On Sunday, an Iraqi court in Baghdad sentenced Saddam and two other senior members of his regime to death by hanging for crimes against humanity for the killing of 148 people in the northern town of Dujail. The victims were detained and tortured after a 1982 attempt to assassinate Saddam as he visited the town.

An Iraqi appeal court is expected to rule on the guilty verdict and death sentence by the middle of January.

"He is a criminal dictator. No doubt about it," Elham said of Saddam. "We hope no pressure will be applied not to carry out this verdict."

In Vienna on Tuesday, the
United Nations' special investigator on torture, Manfred Nowak, said he disagreed with the death sentence and that Saddam's trial had not been well conducted.

"Even a person like Saddam Hussein should not be sentenced to death," said Nowak, who acknowledged that Saddam's regime had killed and tortured many political opponents and members of minorities.

The EU has welcomed the verdict but also said Saddam should not be put to death.

The Iranian spokesman said his government hoped Saddam would continue to be tried for other alleged crimes against humanity, including his invading Iran in 1980, starting a war that killed more than a million Iranians and Iraqis.

The suffering and losses in the war, which ended in 1988, are well remembered in Iran.

Elham rejected the suggestion that the execution of Saddam, a Sunni Muslim, would escalate the violence between Iraq's Shiite and Sunni communities.

"It is very clear that such a suggestion is mischief-making. Saddam has both Shiite and Sunni blood on his hands. His very existence is anti-human," he said.

Just after Saddam was sentenced on Sunday, Iranian state television interrupted its programs to announce: "A court in Iraq sentenced Saddam, the fallen dictator, to death."

If the appeal court upholds the death sentence, The Associated Press has learned that Iraq's three-man presidential council will sign papers for Saddam's execution. The hanging must be carried out within 30 days of the appeal court's decision.

Well, that'll teach everyone! Killing Saddam will show the Iraqi people and the world that killing is wrong.... wait a second...

That, and the trial was about as farcical as one could possibly imagine.

Naw, I've seen worse trials with worse outcomes.

Remember OJ's "trial"?

CNN stopped reporting the news (well, actually, did they ever report the news?) and became the "OJ" channel.

von Garvin said:
Naw, I've seen worse trials with worse outcomes.

Remember OJ's "trial"?

CNN stopped reporting the news (well, actually, did they ever report the news?) and became the "OJ" channel.

True enough - CNN has never been the beacon of journalistic light they like to make themselves out to be. Reporting on one event for 6 hours after having exhausted the topic in the first 20 minutes is monotonous to say the least.

Without even the appearance of legitimacy, this trial is more harm than good. Saddam needs to rot in prison - an execution is going to do little else but fuel the insurgent fire. Having him on display in prison like a pathetic has-been seems a better idea.

Saddam 'executed by end of year' 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6126404.stm

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki has told the BBC he expects Saddam Hussein to be executed by the end of 2006.
In an interview with John Simpson in Baghdad, Mr Maliki said the decision to hang the former president would not be affected by any pressure.

"We would like the whole world to respect the judicial will of Iraq," he told the BBC.

The former Iraqi leader was sentenced to death two days ago after being convicted of crimes against humanity.

Mr Maliki told the BBC that if the appeals court confirmed Saddam Hussein's sentence "it will be the government's responsibility to carry it out".
More on link

Iraq's bloggers weigh in on Hussein death sentence
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1108/dailyUpdate.html?s=mesdu

Their personal views on verdict's meaning, impact, reflect a society torn apart by war.
By Arthur Bright  | csmonitor.com

Despite the ongoing turmoil in Iraq, a community of bloggers has managed to grow there, offering first-hand accounts of violence and grassroots opinion of Iraqi and US politics. In their response to the death sentence for Saddam Hussein, Iraq's former dictator, they frame the verdict within an intense, personal, highly subjective view of their country.

While President Bush hailed the Hussein verdict as "a milestone in the Iraqi people's efforts to replace the rule of a tyrant with the rule of law," many bloggers are not as enthusiastic. Zeyad, a Baghdad Sunni currently studying journalism in New York, asks in his blog Healing Iraq: "A milestone for whom?"

It is a major achievement for Iraq's young democracy and its constitutional government," [Bush] said.

I say it's sad that a majority of Americans are still unaware that Iraq's "constitutional government" is a joke, and there is nothing that resembles democracy in Iraq today.

Warring factions control different parts of the country while the government is imprisoned in the Green Zone. U.S. and Iraqi forces are confined to their bases. Militias, gangs and death squads prowl at day and night unchallenged, if not abetted by Iraqi security forces. The tortured corpses of dozens of unfortunate Iraqis turn up in mass graves every morning. Services are in shambles.

Reconstruction is nonexistent, not even in safe regions of Iraq, even though hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent. Administrative corruption, smuggling, nepotism and cronyism are rampant. Local councils and religious parties have become entrenched in their positions and elections in the governorates have been suspended. The government threatens the press with prosecution if they dare criticise officials.
More on link

Back