• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sacrifice Medal Mega Thread

Which do you prefer

• Total voters
Sorry, I was unclear. I didnt mean your post in particular was a moot point, more that the whole debate about whether the badge was a good idea or not was a moot point.

PhilB said:
Sorry, I was unclear. I didnt mean your post in particular was a moot point, more that the whole debate about whether the badge was a good idea or not was a moot point.

Wether the CAB will exist or not is a moot point. Wether it is a good idea or not is still up for debate. Its not because something exists that its automaticaly a good idea. If that was the case, you can all stop bitching about the Tac Vest, Sperwer, the CH-146 and CTS.

I worked fairly closely with the 101st S1 in '02.  As part of my job, I attended the Bde S1 meetings which were held on a regularly scheduled basis (I don't recall the frequency - once a week?  twice a week? - doesn't matter).  I was sent after the BG Adjt attended the first one - they were one - two hour meetings, mostly filled with minutiae regarding the accurate reporting of "who was in the box" so that proper records were maintained regarding who was entitled to the US CIB.  A worthy staff duty, of course - but of no concern to us Canadians (but there were occasional snippets of information passed on there that WERE of concern to Canadians - thus someone from the Canadian S1 shop had to attend, thus my attendance - my Adjt was no fool).

What struck me was the amount of staff work (reports and returns, coordination and consolidation of those reports and returns for onward transmission to Div.  Questioning of those consolidations from Div.  Rockets from Bde to Unit in order to answer those questions.  Amended reports and returns submitted to Bde - onward transmission of amended consolidated reports to Div - ad nauseum) which went into our US ally's efforts to ensure that the CIB was awarded to everyone who deserved it, and NOT to those who didn't.

Don't get me wrong - staff work is essential, and needs to be accurate.  I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on this issue - but has anyone considered the added Clerk that's going to be required for every BG just to keep the stats straight?

Why not just get the medics to hand them out at the RAP (or equivalent) based on a doctor's professional assessment of the injury, and as noted in the casualty's medical records? Oops, I've probably just proposed eliminating a whole floor of staff in some HQ somewhere ... sorry.

daftandbarmy said:
Why not just get the medics to hand them out at the RAP (or equivalent) based on a doctor's professional assessment of the injury, and as noted in the casualty's medical records? Oops, I've probably just proposed eliminating a whole floor of staff in some HQ somewhere ... sorry.

I agree with you.

I'm just relaying what I saw while working with the Rakkasans.

the 48th regulator said:
Definitely something that must be looked at closely.  I mean their hearts are in the right place, but we must closely look at the method of awarding.  Maybe the moving of the stripe to a position and status of a medal.

Unfortunately, although I am a huge defender of the soldier that suffers OSI, I do not believe it deserves a medal of recognition.  Recognition of treatment is what is needed.

dileas

tess

This is a weird one. On one hand, and OSI is the same as a physichal wound, it is just a wound to the brain, and can't be seen. It deserves ever bit the same recognition as someone who was shot, or has lost a body part.

However..........

I myself have been diagnosed with PTSD, adn I also agree that having a medal on my chest and having to tell everyone why I have it would not in anyway at all help treat my condition.

Dang, if this ain't the ultimate catch -22 situation!!

Kilroy said:
This is a weird one. On one hand, and OSI is the same as a physichal wound, it is just a wound to the brain, and can't be seen. It deserves ever bit the same recognition as someone who was shot, or has lost a body part.

However..........

I myself have been diagnosed with PTSD, adn I also agree that having a medal on my chest and having to tell everyone why I have it would not in anyway at all help treat my condition.

Dang, if this ain't the ultimate catch -22 situation!!

I hear you brother,

I too have been diagnosed with PTSD, resulting from when I was shot multiple time on tour back in 1994.

However, as I am the greatest defender of the wounded, Physically and Mentally, it is very hard to distinguish the cause.

It is the ultimate catch 22. 

dileas

tess

Infanteer said:
I've seen the draft presentation on the medal; it's an ugly triangle with arrows and it comes in three fruity-flavours. 

The original design has been revised.  It is now a CF tri-service centre, topped with a crown, maple leafs pointing out from the sides and a scroll along the bottom with "combat".

Is it a cloth badge or a metal pin on thing? Do you have any pics?

PhilB
as has been said.... it's not out yet.
Some people have seen one medel, others have seen another model.  It it the final draft OR will there be more changes before it goes into production... who knows?

NO picture will be released before it is officially unveiled by the CDS.

oh yeah.... Pin!

geo said:
NO picture will be released before it is officially unveiled by the CDS.

Ahem.  Her Excellency the Governor General will be the authority for any such decoration should it be authorized.  The GG will unveil; the CDS will be hovering in the background.

Whups.... correct as always DAP.
(though I am certain that the CDS will probably lend a hand to carry it over to Rideau Hall)

Dirty Patricia said:
The original design has been revised.  It is now a CF tri-service centre, topped with a crown, maple leafs pointing out from the sides and a scroll along the bottom with "combat".

Ugg...doesn't sound much better....

dapaterson said:
Ahem.  Her Excellency the Governor General will be the authority for any such decoration should it be authorized.  The GG will unveil; the CDS will be hovering in the background.

Gents, it's a badge that will be handed out based on a set of criteria given to a unit CO.  It is NOT a formal "honour and award", any more so than a set of jump wings or a trade qualification badge is.  If the GG is involved at the unveiling it would be to acknowledge the perceived importance of its introduction to the military.

My 2 cents.

Gunner said:
Gents, it's a badge that will be handed out based on a set of criteria given to a unit CO.  It is NOT a formal "honour and award", any more so than a set of jump wings or a trade qualification badge is.  If the GG is involved at the unveiling it would be to acknowledge the perceived importance of its introduction to the military.

My 2 cents.

Absolutely correct, it is a badge and as such will be administered through the chain of command. DHH not DH&R will be the directorate responsible for it I believe.

Reccesoldier said:
Absolutely correct, it is a badge and as such will be administered through the chain of command. DHH not DH&R will be the directorate responsible for it I believe.

Sorry, my comments were made in reference to the CAB.  The "sacrifice medal" is another issue entirely and I think DAPatterson was actually posting in response to it.  The Comd/unit CO currently presents the wound stripe to a soldier in theatre.  I'm not sure if this will change once it transitions to a medal.

Yes, this thread is really two topics now:  the CAB and the Purple Heart Sacrifice Medal.  Perhaps one of the diligent, hard-working, under-appreciated  mods could work a split?

Okay, what happens if they decide OSI's qualify. How can this be awarded in theatre when an OSI is not usually recognized until the soldier has returned back to Canada? What would it qualify for, and how would they go about giving it? My big concern is, that they are giving a stripe / award / medal / whatever it is to be to someone and saying "Here is your award for having an OSI. Hope you get better. Anyone have ANY idea on how this delicate matter will be handed??

Since no one here is on the decision-making committee or tasked with writing up criteria for it, and if they were would have the good sense not to breach confidentiality, how do you expect anyone to reasonably answer your question?

Anything more along this line would be personal opinion, wild conjecture and most of all inaccurate.

Let's sum up this line of speculation.

The Army.ca staff

CSA 105 said:
Since no one here is on the decision-making committee or tasked with writing up criteria for it, and if they were would have the good sense not to breach confidentiality, how do you expect anyone to reasonably answer your question?

Anything more along this line would be personal opinion, wild conjecture and most of all inaccurate.

Let's sum up this line of speculation.

The Army.ca staff

No one here is on the decision making committee for this award either, but some have seen version of the "award, and we have a whole thread on it based on what some people have heard. I was just wondering the same. Has anyone heard how an OSI would be handled??

Back