• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russian squirrel pack 'kills dog'

D

D-n-A

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4489792.stm

Russian squirrel pack 'kills dog'

Squirrels have bitten to death a stray dog which was barking at them in a Russian park, local media report.
Passers-by were too late to stop the attack by the black squirrels in a village in the far east, which reportedly lasted about a minute.

They are said to have scampered off at the sight of humans, some carrying pieces of flesh.

A pine cone shortage may have led the squirrels to seek other food sources, although scientists are sceptical.

The attack was reported in parkland in the centre of Lazo, a village in the Maritime Territory, and was witnessed by three local people.

A "big" stray dog was nosing about the trees and barking at squirrels hiding in branches overhead when a number of them suddenly descended and attacked, reports say.

"They literally gutted the dog," local journalist Anastasia Trubitsina told Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper.

"When they saw the men, they scattered in different directions, taking pieces of their kill away with them."

Mikhail Tiyunov, a scientist in the region, said it was the first he had ever heard of such an attack.

While squirrels without sources of protein might attack birds' nests, he said, the idea of them chewing a dog to death was "absurd".

"If it really happened, things must be pretty bad in our forests," he added.

Komosmolskaya Pravda notes that in a previous incident this autumn chipmunks terrorised cats in a part of the territory.

A Lazo man who called himself only Mikhalich said there had been "no pine cones at all" in the local forests this year.

"The little beasts are agitated because they have nothing to eat," he added.

my guess would be that they have a Rat problem and that these beasties were out forraging for food when surprised by the dog.

Silly dog!

RIP!

I worked at a wildlife rehab center this past summer and they had squirrels very similar to those, I have no doubt in my mind that if they got on a small-medium dog they could rip chunks out of it, they got a few outta me!

Reminds me of the scene in Christmas Vacation.

"SQUIRREL!"

Seamus449 said:
I worked at a wildlife rehab center this past summer and they had squirrels very similar to those, I have no doubt in my mind that if they got on a small-medium dog they could rip chunks out of it, they got a few outta me!

If we are to believe you, and theres no reason not to. This is not the joke that it might appear to be. On hearing this, I think it might just be cause for alarm.

We all regard these interesting flurry little creatures as some what amusing little beggars, constantly looking for hand outs.

As Seamus449 and this Thread indicate, they can be a lot more than Nut gatherers. Lets face it, they are nothing more than Big Rodents with bushy tails that live in trees. We don't share the same endearment with their Sewer dwelling cousins.

My point !, think twice before picnicking near squirrel infested areas with infants or small toddlers or small pets, it only takes a second of inattention or absence for a incident to happen. You say, stop being such a alarmest, remember what coming our way also, Killer Bee's.

Thanks for the concern everyone.... but I would just like to report that I emerged from that particular incident unscathed.

I didn't even know you all liked me so much ;)

A course mate of mine recently got used as an escape route into a tree in Gagetown by a squirrel evading a fox.  Talk about the CADPAT blending in!

Those of us in Toronto have even more to fear (what with these black heavyweight squirrels everywheres)

Whats the deal? What ever happened to the little brown ones? Those i can take...

Must be an invader species  ;D... Reminds me of the time when a pack of penguins killed a polar bear VIA polar bear choking on penguin. :dontpanic:

:cdn:

VIA is making Polar Bears now??? And here I thought they were only involved in trains....... sheesh...

"witnessed by three local people."

- Clearly, a vodka Troika.

"I worked at a wildlife rehab center this past summer"

- Great, I thought if I fell off the wagon, i only had to line-up behind Ashley and/or Mary-Kate.  Now you tell me we got frickin ANIMALS in the line-up too?

Tom

These sound like Chernobyl super squirrels to me, or an old soviet-era genetic experiment that escaped from the lab...

The wildlife rehab is for young animals unable to survive on their own or wildlife which was domesticated and needs to be re-introduced to the wild before release. The large black squirrel at the center was hand-raised by humans as a young kit (I think thats what they are called). But was sent to the center soon after maturing because they do not make good pets like rats, mice or other domesticated rodents. You might not think that a squirrel not a lot bigger than a large grapefruit could be harmful but even the tame squirrel I worked with was quite agressive and extremely fast. A squirrel could harm an adult human but that would probably be the last thing it would do... A dog has some instincts and atleast it can run away, a toddler could be harmed quite a bit by a squirrel, but I have no idea why a squirrel would attack a child, maybe a little  nibble...

Seamus449 said:
The wildlife rehab is for young animals unable to survive on their own or wildlife which was domesticated and needs to be re-introduced to the wild before release. The large black squirrel at the center was hand-raised by humans as a young kit (I think thats what they are called). But was sent to the center soon after maturing because they do not make good pets like rats, mice or other domesticated rodents. You might not think that a squirrel not a lot bigger than a large grapefruit could be harmful but even the tame squirrel I worked with was quite agressive and extremely fast. A squirrel could harm an adult human but that would probably be the last thing it would do... A dog has some instincts and atleast it can run away, a toddler could be harmed quite a bit by a squirrel, but I have no idea why a squirrel would attack a child, maybe a little   nibble...

In your opinion, if they were deprived of their natural food source, could that trigger their aggressive behavior to attack anything they deemed fair game and not threatening ?.

Cheers.

Tree Rats (Squirrels0 are the bane of all cottagers, and can even burn down the odd camp by gnawing on matches.  Mice will do some damage, but squirrels will destroy a place.

Had to kill one with a broom handle in the kitchen of my log cabin once.  it was him or me.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

;D

Tom

If two squirrels go up your pant leg and you hear one of em talking to the other about taking the right one while offering the left one to his friend......... be afraid!!!

Dog said:
VIA is making Polar Bears now??? And here I thought they were only involved in trains....... sheesh...
They have a sub contract through Bombardier to manufacture them.  The Liberals gave them a 9.3 billion no interest grant to develope the Polar Bear plant, as it was recently learned that Saab and Boeing are also venturing into Polar Bear development.  It is critical to the Polar Bear manufacturing infrastructure in Canada that this precious industry be protected from international pressure.  :cdn:

Back