• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russia woos our military with deals on guns, planes

I'll have to go with "we can't trust the ba$tard$" on this one. I don't care how good the stuff may be (considering their military doctrine of quantity over quality I wouldn't even look at their equipment). As some other posters have pointed out, these clowns like to have a revolution every now and then, and they still tend to remember Uncle Joe Stalin as a pretty good guy.....

TCBF said:
Now THAT is very interesting.  Thanks.

``We’ve decided to deploy some thirty T-80U tanks and another thirty BMP-3 infantry combat vehicles in frontline units located in central and eastern sections of the border in Kangwon Province,’’ a Defense Ministry official said.

They are part of the Russian weapons that Seoul purchased to offset some of the $1.47-billion loan, which was extended to the former Soviet Union in 1991.

It is the first time that Russian-made military equipment will be adopted as a main weapon of the ROK Army, which is largely relying on U.S.-made weapons.

I found the purchase as well as the deployment unusual, seeing as how the ROK has its own Type 88 MBTs.  Honestly, I expected them to sell or donate the equipment to someone else already using Russian gear.

NewCenturion said:
and they still tend to remember Uncle Joe Stalin as a pretty good guy.....

It's Great Father Stalin to you!

...Well, it is good to see the Russian have changed th location of the fuel tank in the BMP-3.
No more back doors of flaming death!

or so it looks...

Koenigsegg said:
...Well, it is good to see the Russian have changed th location of the fuel tank in the BMP-3.
No more back doors of flaming death!

or so it looks...

Old news.......didn't you get them memo back in 89?  ;D

Perhaps Bombardier could come up with something for us instead?  Slap a nice over-inflated price tag on it, make sure it's a complete POS and unload them all on the CF.  ::)

Realistically though, I'd love to see our Government give the Russians a serious look.  Break free from the old stigma of the Russians being the 'Reds' and give them a genuine look.  As stated earlier, competition is good, and listening to their pitch is free.  We need to stop relying so heavily on the Americans for everything.  This isn't just restricted to the Russians, take a good look at ALL options out there - there's plenty of good kit out there that's not built by the U.S. 

I could care less if Russian kit screams out low income Army by other nations as was previously mentioned.  I'm sick and tired of seeing vehicles of all sorts grounded because we're waiting on parts.  If the kit coming out of Russia is good quality, not old and decrepit, and spare parts are cheap and plentiful, it should be looked at.

Food for thought

ever tried to get parts for a Lada?

they weren't plentyful

I've been really impressed by the mechanical engineering of the jeeps and military trucks, electronics are crap but we can install that stuff ourselves. We should really buy the Antonovs we are always renting too. Dirt cheap and gets the job done.

I was born in 89...I must have missed the memo.  ;D

I am tending to side with the people who are saying to take a look.  Don't commit to anything, just take a short glance, or a good look at some of the stuff that the Russians seemed to have done alright with.  In the off chance that there is something worth putting a few bucks toward, then maybe we could buy or lease a few, test them, and use them for adversary training (the Americans and Germans do it together).  We could even use them as examples of what NOT to do.  ;)

Just out of curiosity, how expensive are Sukhoi 27s and 30s on the market from Russia?  used or not.
If anyone has any knowledge of this of course.

Koenigsegg said:
Just out of curiosity, how expensive are Sukhoi 27s and 30s on the market from Russia?  used or not.
If anyone has any knowledge of this of course.

The Chinese, when they purchased their first batch of 38 brand new Sukhoi SU-30MKK in 1999, got their's for about $2 billion US.

Whoa-ho!
I suppose that price would be expected though.

A little out of Our reach, no?
Thank you, that makes me happy to know what Russia's buddy can get fighters for.  I am not sure I want to know what a country that Russia does not care for would have to pay...

Okay, thank you for the specific answer, more specific than I hoped.

Interesting to note that the Russians have finally got capitalism figured out - at least in the defence market -  "what the market will bear".  ;D

Nemo888 said:
I've been really impressed by the mechanical engineering of the jeeps and military trucks, electronics are crap but we can install that stuff ourselves. We should really buy the Antonovs we are always renting too. Dirt cheap and gets the job done.
      Sounds great except for....................$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ .
To actually bring them up to stanard you might as well just remove  your right arm at about elbow level and hand it over to good old Boris at Antonov.And if you want to improve maitainabilty you might as well start with a fresh sheet of paper and start designing a new aircraft,It will be cheaper.
I still want to know what kind of kickback Simon Fraser gets if they sell one of these beasts to the CF?? :D ;)

Just a few amateur observations from my trip around the WWW this morning.

1) Air defense
    S 300/  I think Greece bought this system. I don't know what they are paying for it but a US Pac-3 battery goes for about 225 million

Tor m1/ Weird vehicle, neat concept. Vertically launched from inside the turret thingy. Missles could fit in the back of a LAV

Tunguska/ Gepard-ADATS lovechild, 10km range missiles air/ground but has a revolving radar dish on top that says "over hear,
                    hear I am"!

2) Air transport
    An-124/ Quadruple redundant flight control systems, RR RB211 engined version in development, getting all the western systems

Il-76MF/ Stretched version, PS90-A2 high bypass turbofans made with parts from western Europe and the US. CFM engined version
                in development. Rollers in the floor instead of plywood over titanium.

Personal note: All this is fine and dandy but with the anti-NATO riots in the Ukraine and the Russians just being Russians I think it would best be left to the entrepreneurs like VIH, Kelowna Flightcraft and Skylink Aviation to deal with the flaky/volatile politics and for the CF to steer clear of these rather murky waters :cdn:

Back