• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russia to counter US space-based missile systems with its S500

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Thoughts, anyone?

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4229263&c=AME&s=AIR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russia To Counter Space-Based Missile Systems
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 11 Aug 2009 06:53 

MOSCOW - Russia is developing missiles to counter space-based missile systems that could soon be deployed by the United States, Russia's air force commander was quoted as saying Aug. 11.

"We are building new missiles that will be capable of defending not only against air-defense systems but space-based systems," Gen. Alexander Zelin said, quoted by Russian news agencies.

The United States and other countries will have deployed such satellite-based missile systems capable of striking any target in Russia by 2030, he said.

"Foreign air forces, above of all the United States, will acquire the capability to deal time-synchronized precision strikes on a global scale at virtually any target on Russia territory," Zelin said.

The threat "is not virtual, but real," he added.

To counter such potential, Russia has begun work on the S-500 surface-to-air missile system that would have ballistic missile tracking capabilities and aim at a range of up to 3,500 kilometers (2,175 miles), according to defense reports.

"The S-500 system is capable of defeating all manner of ballistic missiles and supersonic air devices," Zelin said.

Moscow vehemently opposes U.S. plans to site a missile defense shield in Eastern Europe and has reacted warily to plans under the previous U.S. administration it claimed had accelerated the militarization of outer space.

Washington insists its shield plan is not directed against Russia but threats from "rogue states" such as Iran.

Last year, when the U.S. military was planning to shoot down a rogue U.S. spy satellite, Russia's defense ministry said the plans looked like a veiled weapons test and an "attempt to move the arms race into space."

Both Russia and China have proposed a new treaty banning the use of weapons in space, but the idea was rejected by the White House.

j0hn_r1 said:
Totalitarianism at its finest...

:-\

Russia perceives a threat and is taking measures to mitigate it.

Totalitarianism ?

CDN Aviator said:

Totalitarianism ?

Don't you know the real definition of totalitarianism? Ordering people to do stuff!

In a proper Military, everyone does whatever they want, and nobody gives or takes orders. Things work out much better that way.

Neo Cortex said:
Don't you know the real definition of totalitarianism? Ordering people to do stuff!

In a proper Military, everyone does whatever they want, and nobody gives or takes orders. Things work out much better that way.
What "proper" military in history has ever operated that way?

dangerboy said:

I think you may have missed the sarcasm there.

dangerboy said:

Anarchist and Trotskyist forces fighting against Franco during the Spanish Civil War such as the Confederación Nacional del Trabajo (CNT) and the Partido Obrero Unificación Marxista (POUM).

You can judge how well the experiment worked; they lost...

CDN Aviator said:

Totalitarianism ?

Who said I was talking about Russia...?  ???

Back on topic,

Weapons in space just doesn't sit well with me.

j0hn_r1 said:
Who said I was talking about Russia...?  ???

The article is about Russia. You were talking about who then ?

Again ....Totalitarianism has to do with this story how smart guy ?

CDN Aviator said:
The article is abour Russia. You were talking about who then ?

Again ....Totalitarianism has to do with this story how smart guy ?

To play Devil's Advocate (while remaining mostly on-topic), j0hn_r1 may have been referring to the United States' attempt to assert its sovereignty over space via the United States' space-based missile system.

If the US were successful it would create a situation where the US would be able to exert total control (though obviously not totalitarianism) over any space accessible by the US government, simply because they could blast anyone out of space who doesn't agree with them.

Edit: to fix name.

Is there really a legit need for this against Russia?  Or is it just the weapons industry on two sides of the world keeping itself going? 
However, with clowns like Iran and North Korea, I would think that both countries would want a space defence/strike capability.  But sabre rattling at each other?  That's, like, SO 80's.  :p

CDN Aviator said:
Cold war 1945-Present

I would argue that the Cold War ended when the Soviet Union collapsed, but then I would have expected Russia to join NATO as a sign of their goodwill.

Is there still a Russian equivalent of NATO? Given that the Warsaw Pact fell apart when the Soviet Union did, they must be handling their own defence? (Well, I'm not sure how being in the EU affects things. Do they have a mutual defence agreement?)

Neo Cortex said:
I would argue that the Cold War ended

I can understand why you would think that. Most people do. I even used to make alot of cold war jokes mysefl. I live in the real world now however.

CDN Aviator said:
I can understand why you would think that. Most people do. I even used to make alot of cold war jokes mysefl. I live in the real world now however.

You mean the one where everyone buys China the economy and military it needs to take over the planet?

Back