• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running

Sizzle, that is the "Couch to 5K" plan which many people have followed (including myself). I found it very helpful; as a guy who couldn't run for more than 30 seconds without getting winded, I now regularly go 3-4K (25+ minutes) during my workouts.

I can run 10 km in 66 minutes very easy.But it is only 9.1 km per hour.How to improove speed ?

MMSS said:
Sizzle, that is the "Couch to 5K" plan which many people have followed (including myself). I found it very helpful; as a guy who couldn't run for more than 30 seconds without getting winded, I now regularly go 3-4K (25+ minutes) during my workouts.

Thank you for the confirmation. I have slacked off a bit this year and am pumped to get back to everyday running.

Cheers

Good way to start running is just get out and run for 30 minutes without stopping and don't worry about speed or distance to begin with.
You should try to run 3 - 5 times a week once you get your muscles used to running and no longer have shin splints.

After about a month of cardio and endurance building you should move on to a goal of running 3 - 5kms in a certain time.

To increase speed the easiest way is to sprint short distances. Find a marked track for running at a college or highschool and practice doing sprint/jog/sprint/jog for as long as possible.

I've tried other methods to increase endurance and speed such as sprinting the final half km or 300 metres of your run if you are running a longer distance say around 5kms.

A great way to increase speed is also on a treadmill. Start at a light jog to get the blood pumping for a minute or two and then go into an all out sprint with the aim of hitting 1 km.

My routine for the past 9 months has been jog 5km on my days off from work and on the days I work I will go to the gym to do my regular workout followed by a 1 km sprint on a treadmill.

I never did like treadmills but I find they can be useful for setting a speed and then keeping a consistent pace.

Constant work on the leg muscles is also very key. Two things will always give out when you run it is just a matter of which will go first: Cardio or leg muscles. If your muscles are the first to fail then do your run followed by leg work outs such as leg presses/calve presses and muscle building of quads and hams. If your cardio goes first then just run more and try sprinting.

I do 5kms in 22 minutes and sprint 1km in 3 minutes.

That's my regular routine and I'm not sure if it will help anyone but there it is.

Sizzle said:
I just want to get some input to find out if it is indeed a good program to go by. 

"I like the Couch to 5K routine":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107009/post-1163514.html#msg1163514

"Finally started my couch to 5k regiment": ( sic )
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/97095/post-986829.html#msg986829

"Take a glance at the 'Couch to 5k' running program":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search2

"I would recommend the Couch to 5k":

"The couch-5k is an awesome program though.":

secondchance said:
I can run 10 km in 66 minutes very easy.But it is only 9.1 km per hour.How to improove speed ?

Incourporate speed work and tempo runs into your work outs, as well as hills and repeats.

4X100m sprints  warm up(5-10 mins running) then do 100m full efforts(or you can use a time like 30s) rest 3-5 mins with either light jog or brisk walk, don't stop altogether.  Repeat 4 times to start and go from there

Hill repeats, 1 min all out effort(90-100%) on a hill that takes longer then 1 min to run.  Warm up well, start on incline and push yourself at max effort from the bottom to the 1 min mark, return to the bottom with a light jog, brisk walk, repeat trying to beat your last effot.

Tempo runs, this involves running at a steady state above your average speed for a duration of about 5 mins.  Warm up well, then speed up untill you would have a hard time saying more then a few words to someone, keep this speed for 5 mins, drop your speed down to a light jog for 5 mins, repeat.

do one of the above each week in combination with your regular runs.  Increase your mileage about 10-15% each week stepping back after 3 consecutive weeks about 20% as a recovery week.

enjoy.

SentryMAn said:
Incourporate speed work and tempo runs into your work outs, as well as hills and repeats.

4X100m sprints  warm up(5-10 mins running) then do 100m full efforts(or you can use a time like 30s) rest 3-5 mins with either light jog or brisk walk, don't stop altogether.  Repeat 4 times to start and go from there

Hill repeats, 1 min all out effort(90-100%) on a hill that takes longer then 1 min to run.  Warm up well, start on incline and push yourself at max effort from the bottom to the 1 min mark, return to the bottom with a light jog, brisk walk, repeat trying to beat your last effot.

Tempo runs, this involves running at a steady state above your average speed for a duration of about 5 mins.  Warm up well, then speed up untill you would have a hard time saying more then a few words to someone, keep this speed for 5 mins, drop your speed down to a light jog for 5 mins, repeat.

do one of the above each week in combination with your regular runs.  Increase your mileage about 10-15% each week stepping back after 3 consecutive weeks about 20% as a recovery week.

enjoy.
thanks,
I am going to use

Ducam said:
You should try to run 3 - 5 times a week once you get your muscles used to running and no longer have shin splints.
I heard  for running you must have day off after. Therefore it is good to run maximum 3 times per week.Every second day. 

secondchance said:
I heard  for running you must have day off after. Therefore it is good to run maximum 3 times per week.Every second day. 

Depends on comfort level, muscle strength and even the type of shoes you run in.

Due to my work schedule my regular routine would be two days off of work where I run 5 km each day and then two days working so due to time restrictions I will only do 1 km sprints on those days.

That is just my regular routine but I will agree that the further distance you run the more beneficial it is to have a rest time the next day.

and "should try to run 3-5 times a week" means 3 times minimum and 5 days maximum.

During your build up phases, say 3 times a week where you do a low/medium/long run
after the longest of the runs take the next day as a rest day.

The other days you can "rest" by doing push-ups and sit ups or hitting the gym like Arnold.

secondchance said:

To increase speed, you can do track repeats or hill training. For track repeats, I will run 400-600m at 110% race pace for race training around 5-7k and 1600m for longer distances - 15k and up. For hill training, start just running up a steep hill or mountain, and once your legs get a little stronger, you can start doing sprints.

I can do 5km in 30min
And 2.4km in 10min52s

I prefer doing short distance with high speed than high distance..

Did after like 1 years doing these exercise I will be better ?

If you're doing the same thing over and over and over, you'll be "better"...but better only at doing a 5k in 30 min, and 2.4 in 10.

Try doing 6k in 30. Or 5k in 28.

The way to get better, stronger, faster, is to increase distance, lower the time, etc., something to make it more challenging.

6km in 30min :O omg I dont think is possible.. 12km/H Running Speed  :-\

Thanks for your response

I recommend the Running Room.  If there is a store in your neighborhood check it out... they have clinics (5K, 10K, Half, Marathon) and a free Sunday morning group run.  Great environment to learn more about running

Zulopol said:
6km in 30min :O omg I dont think is possible.. 12km/H Running Speed  :-\

Thanks for your response

If your starting point is 5km in 30 minutes, you will probably be surprised by how fast you can get to 5km in 25 minutes.

A good running program for any regular joe that just wants to improve is 3x a week, a high-intensity interval session, a low-intensity long distance session, and a mid-intensity mid-distance session.

If you want to use 5km / 25 minutes as a goal (a good "first" goal for anyone), try this:

So 3 workouts per week, depending on your schedule but Mon, Wed, Fri is what a lot of people adapt to...

#1. Intervals (should vary each week). 80-85% intensity, 200m. Walk 100m. Repeat 10x.... 75% intensity, 400m, slow jog 200m. Repeat 8x.

#2. 8km as long as you need.... then stretch it out to 9km... then 10km. Each week try to stretch it out (to a reasonable amount of 10-13km).

#3. A 5km run at the best pace you can maintain. You should focus on improving your 5km time from the week previous. You'll be surprised how fast the interval/distance work will start to affect your time.

Ive used that, my sisters used it I've also sent it to a few buddies. My sister has since gone on to run 10ks and is now working on a half marathon. I also recommend this program to anyone on this site.

I barely completed the first week, at the time. But now I've never had a problem with pt with the army and I'm better at sports. It is a great program, it is very simple and you will get the results you want.

Good luck.

Back