• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

running: treadmill or outside?

Jaxson

Inactive
Reaction score
which is better?i find outside in this extreme heatwave weve been having that i cant go more then 15 minutes because i just get so damn hot where as on my treadmill i can go for like half an hour and ill still be feeling cool what do you guys think? i know im  going to end up having to get used to running outside but for now should i just keep with the treadmill? thanks guy.

C'mon man 20 something pages worth of running info and junk are all right here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22788.0.html

As far as a fast answer generally it's better outside.. pavement/grass is different than the treadmill, though I - and this is just a personal preference, will attempt to run my goal distance/time on the treadmill first so I can accurately gauge things, then go attempt to do the same outside.

man i looked at alot of those pages but i started getting very tired (its 2am ive been awake since 6am and put in 9 hours of factory work today) so i apoligize for not reading the entire thng but after a number of pages i didnt think i would find my answer thus the new page.. but thanks for your answer... goodnight for now everyone  :salute:

It was probably mentioned in that large thread, but for what it is worth, if you run on a treadmill (like me), then you have to increase the incline to make up for the fact there is no wind resistance while using the treadmill.  One of those running magazines has a chart to help you figure out your treadmill pace vs how you would compare outside.

Run outside late in the evening or early in the morning. beats the heat and if your lucky people leave their lights on and you can see how they live. Just like being at a Zoo.

Just a side bar or note. Even though it probalby was mentioned in some post four years ago or his answer is hidden in another 20 pages of text, what is the big harm of someone asking the question again?

And if the problem is about bandwidth and storage space etc etc. Why don't dormant posts becom deleted after a time. Just like we do at work with real paper files. Discarded after 5 years or something? Or is this done already?

Just a question. Please point me to the thread that dicussed this already or tell me to do a search on the subject or tell me how inferior of a human being I am by not knowing......starting.........NOW.

I like the treadmill because it's easy on my legs. Last summer i was running outside and i had shint splints and next came cramps. I'm runnig on a treadmill now and i think it improves cardio a lot. I hope it will make my bones stronger as it says. What do you think guys? Does it make your bones stronger?

Do proper stretching exercises. Begin running at a pace where your body can handle it. Try no to bounce so much. Keep an eye on the horizon and  your running form as smooth as possible. Running with too large of a step will cause undue shock to your body as you pound your feet into the pavement.

Running on the road is said to be better for you because it is even and has no cracks in it like the side walk. This can punish your body. As well try running for ten minutes walk for one then run for ten etc etc. you will improve your running time by giving your body short breaks....

Use a spell check when writing posts. It will help us understand you better and we wont immediately write you off as a jack@$$. As well wasn't it you who was asking what the most demanding trade in the military?
Running not Runnig
Shin not Shint
use capitals when using I
Calcium makes the bones stronger. so drink your milk at recess

If the opportunity is available, run in beach sand.

Insanehuman said:
  Why run in a  beach sand? Do armies have such an opportunity?
I'm curious....how old are you?

Have you ever done any physical training in your life?

Next question....Is English your second Language?

Is it better to run fast/long distances than slower/long distances? I try to run as fast as i can on a treadmill. Don't know if this is a good idea....

Why not start running outside an get used to it. Everytime you go for a run for PT it will be on a road. If you can run short distances at a fast pace thats good, aswell as run longer distances at a good(medium/fast) pace. Anymore questions on running an PT check out Paracowboy's thread.

I use the US Army Infantry/Airborne run distances/times to judge myself.

Yeah i will when it becomes a little warmer outside.  I once ran outside in winter and become very sick. The good thing about the treadmill is that it shows the time and distance pretty accurately. By the way, is it a good idea to run in winter time? I'm afraid i'm gonna be sick again

recceguy said:
Little circles in the sandbox? :D

Hell yeah, but make sure you don't go the same way every time, you'll get dizzy plus you will build up only one side of calf muscles! LOL

No really, if you have a stretch of beach available, use it.......it is great for your legs....

Run in the winter. Its easy. You just have to dress the part. In layers.  The trick is not to dress to warm to run.
Running like everything else takes time to work up to. At first you can only do 1 km then 2 then 5 then 8 km it gets easy as time goes on.
If you can scrounge enough allowance together you can go to a sports store (IE Zellers) and get some good running gear
When you turn old enough to get a job at McDonald's or Tim Hortons you can afford to go to Cleve's Source for Sports..
If you join the reserves or cadets you can shop at the military store called CANEX they have the coolest Army stuff from Roots Canada and there is always sales on.Once I got this cool shirt  and it said..
Join the Militia
Travel to exotic Lands
Meet interesting and exotic people
Then kill them...
But Only on weekends

It was so cool I wore that shirt every where. It was olive Drab with 3/4 lenght sleeves
But it got a hole in it and my mom threw it out.

As for running on the beach
There is lots of Beach to run on in the Army.
CFB Shilo has one of the nicest inland beaches I have ever had the privilege to walk on.

I think you should run on a treadmill until the heat wave is over. Try to get out as much as you can i can run for hours of treadmill but not outside and they aren't gonna ask you to run a a tread mill for basic so if i was put in that situation i would run on the tread mill until the heat wave is over or it cools down then go out and run

Back