• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Run Up to Election 2019

Remius said:
It's a chink in the armour.

Right now, it's all about sowing the seeds of doubt and showing that old stock Conservatives have never changed and will never change.

Haggis said:
Right now, it's all about sowing the seeds of doubt and showing that old stock Conservatives have never changed and will never change.

Exactly.  I think it does show some desperation but it might actually work.  The CPC needs an effective counter to that.  Liberal Corruption might be it but I'm not sure it will have the same impact.

Journeyman said:
It's becoming more and more difficult to find social liberalism and fiscal conservatism.  :not-again:

Harper put the nails in that coffin when he reneged on his agreement with Peter MacKay...happy to get the transferred PC votes, but not so big on the “I’ll pass it to you after I PM the first two rounds...’  :nod:

Regards,
G2G

I don't put much stock in polls, but a recent one done by Yahoo, shows over 70% of Canadians want trudeau gone. I doubt those numbers will go down. Contrarily, I expect that to grow.

I also doubt there's many people out there waiting for an epiphany or an Ahh Ha moment. Most, I believe, have made up their minds and nothing will sway that.

People are not blind to the slander that constantly gets tossed out by the liberals. I think the grits may have peaked too early by campaigning for months, on taxpayer money, while the other parties can't campaign at all. I'll bet there's tons who are already fatigued by all of the grit promises to spend your money. People are also not impressed with the way trudeau, and party, are using divisive, untrue terms like racists, nazis, etc to describe opponents. He said it was going to be a dirty campaign, but it wouldn't be him doing it. He is the only one truly campaigning and the only one that is being really ugly about it. I don't believe Canadians want, or need, Republican vs Democrats style politics here, which is exactly the road trudeau is following.

>Dirty move but effective.  No one is talking SNC and everyone is talking Scheer, but not in a good way.

Lesson learned.  There are no disputes conducted civilly with gracious losers and winners anymore; there will be no golden bridges; no-one is allowed to accept defeat and move on without agreeing to apologize whenever so demanded.  Concede nothing; compromise nothing; they will use your opposition to what they want now to destroy you if they can in the future.

Next time people wonder why there is less compromise in politics, they can be pointed to this issue.

Brad Sallows said:
… There are no disputes conducted civilly with gracious losers and winners anymore; there will be no golden bridges; no-one is allowed to accept defeat and move on without agreeing to apologize whenever so demanded.  Concede nothing; compromise nothing; they will use your opposition to what they want now to destroy you if they can in the future ...
Sad, but true ...

Remius said:
The key to grow is to actually grow. 

In his response on Tuesday, Scheer's spokesperson said that the Conservative leader "supports same-sex marriage as defined in law and as prime minister will, of course, uphold it."

Seems like growth to me.

Remius said:
Goodale voted for it in 2005 and has marched in pride parades since (not sure why this is a right of passage for politicians but whatever).  Did Scheer vote for it in 2005 and has he marched?  That is what they are trying to highlight.  They are saying essentially he isn't marching so he hasn't changed.   

It's a chink in the armour. 

So what! Trudeau et al didn't march in Caribanna. Does that mean he doesn't support Caribbean Canadians? Singh marched in a parade that glorified a terrorist. Does that mean he supports terrorism?

Marching means putting one foot in front of the other. No more, no less, unless you're looking to gain SJW points.

ModlrMike said:
In his response on Tuesday, Scheer's spokesperson said that the Conservative leader "supports same-sex marriage as defined in law and as prime minister will, of course, uphold it."

Seems like growth to me.

So what! Trudeau et al didn't march in Caribanna. Does that mean he doesn't support Caribbean Canadians? Singh marched in a parade that glorified a terrorist. Does that mean he supports terrorism?

Marching means putting one foot in front of the other. No more, no less, unless you're looking to gain SJW points.

You are missing the point.  Scheer now has to explain or not as to why he isn't marching.  They've put him on the defensive and in an uncomfortable position.  So what happens when the media asks if he still believes if LGTBQ marriage lack the  ‘inherent’ quality of marriage ?  He will likely try to dodge that.  Several still serving Liberals that were around in 199 and 2005 have already responded.  the media is going after them as well but some are pretty clear on their stances now.  Scheer is still dodging and using talking points.

I really don't care if he marches or not or anyone else for that matter but the LPC is banking on the fact that some people will.  They have successfully put the spotlight on Scheer. 

the election is about top drop and it looks like the LPC made the first strike and are trying to shape the narrative.  Let's see how the CPC responds and reacts.

And the media is saying the same thing I've mentioned.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/what-andrew-scheer-believes-about-same-sex-marriage/

Haggis said:
Not that he had to but Trudeau just bought won Montréal.

Although perhaps better characterized as ‘soft infrastructure’ it is infrastructure nonetheless which is actually quite good use of public money.  Also not a bad thing to increase environmental resilience. 

A savvy, but also reasonably value-added move.

At this rate, the rather mundane guy who has, IMO, been one of the most unremarkable people in politics astonishingly for more than a quarter of a century may be hard pressed keep the Grits from another majority...

Regards
G2G

>Scheer now has to explain or not as to why he isn't marching.

Pride isn't an event to exclusively commemorate SSM.  Some gay people don't want to be involved in it any more.  Must they explain themselves, or have enough people explained enough times to enough other people that there are aspects which some do not care to be involved with or to witness?

So long as the Grits can characterize Scheer as stealthily intolerant, and he chooses not to participate in an event more for his personal reasons than a strategically savvy purpose to de-power his opponents, they’ll be winning the ‘perception is reality game’...he could have entirely deflated their efforts by participating and it wouldn’t have cost him anything...would any of the Reform/Alliance/CPC voters really swing to Mad Max if Scheer had walked in the parade with the other National leaders? ???  Dying on a hill so far away from the front seems detached from the end goal...

:2c:

Regards
G2G

I just watched an interview on CBC. The host kept trying to draw the guest in with that question. What about Scheers personal belief, not the party's. Asked it 3 or 4 times. The guest dismantled him every time. The gay guest. The guest also made a number of very salient points about the reasoning and attempt the liberals made in trying to smear Scheer with this.

I don't see this lasting the weekend.

On the other hand, this is pretty fucking low. Even for the grits. I have no doubt at all that they will get even lower, but I just can't fathom anything more distasteful and despicable for electioneering, from the liberals, even though they will certainly try.

It is just a matter of time and desperation before they get so far into the sewer that even their support will be disgusted with their foulness. This is a party with no good record. They have nothing they can campaign on. Their term is bereft of anything they can crow about. All they have are more promises that will be ignored after 22 October and  smear, scandal and false narrative. This party hasn't told the truth in four years. They aren't going to start now.

Good2Golf said:
So long as the Grits can characterize Scheer as stealthily intolerant, and he chooses not to participate in an event more for his personal reasons than a strategically savvy purpose to de-power his opponents, they’ll be winning the ‘perception is reality game’...he could have entirely deflated their efforts by participating and it wouldn’t have cost him anything...would any of the Reform/Alliance/CPC voters really swing to Mad Max if Scheer had walked in the parade with the other National leaders? ???  Dying on a hill so far away from the front seems detached from the end goal...

:2c:

Regards
G2G

Exactly what is happening here. 

He probably has no votes to gain by doing it but he could deflate the whole attack.  I wonder if there was a calculation at potential lost votes if he did go?  They might not park their votes with mad max but they might not show up. 

Most people I talk to could care less about this latest ploy. It's a shoulder shug and "Meh, it's liberals. What do you expect". Stuff like this doesn't stick around. It's a drive by. Especially during an election. Oh wait, it hasn't been called yet has it? I'm sure there's some that don't agree, but I don't think it has the legs, or votes, they think it does.

Just my opinion among the rest here.

Brad Sallows said:
>Scheer now has to explain or not as to why he isn't marching.

Pride isn't an event to exclusively commemorate SSM.  Some gay people don't want to be involved in it any more.  Must they explain themselves, or have enough people explained enough times to enough other people that there are aspects which some do not care to be involved with or to witness?

I hear you Brad.  I’m not arguing the merits of pride parades.  I’m not against them or gay rights.  People can go or not go, support or not support.  But like it or not they are political and they are used to that end. when the only federal leader who does not go and refuses to explain his position, it’s  been mostly awkward avoidance and talking points it plays right I to the “secret agenda” or “intolerance” narrative.  Doug Ford went to one.  Hard to label him as intolerant to the LGBTQ community after that. 

Remius said:
Doug Ford went to one.  Hard to label him as intolerant to the LGBTQ community after that.

Having been mandated to work the Pride parade in Toronto, I agree that Doug's description of "buck naked men running down the middle of Yonge St." was pretty accurate.  :)
https://www.google.com/search?ei=hJFgXfSKA6K-ggfw5LnACg&q=%22doug+ford%22+buck+naked+men+Yonge&oq=%22doug+ford%22+buck+naked+men+Yonge&gs_l=psy-ab.12...13054.14530..17269...0.0..0.143.610.0j5......0....1..gws-wiz.t_R6D_5BiqU&ved=0ahUKEwj03JSjrJrkAhUin-AKHXByDqgQ4dUDCAo#spf=1566609813333

I believe he did finally relent under pressure and participated in a much tamer Pride event up in Newmarket.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=x5JgXYLpE8Pp_QaZwYu4AQ&q=%22doug+ford%22+pride+newmarket&oq=%22doug+ford%22+pride+newmarket&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39.13510.16900..17491...0.0..0.157.303.0j2......0....1..gws-wiz.WAotZkENQUQ&ved=0ahUKEwjC6Ke9rZrkAhXDdN8KHZngAhcQ4dUDCAo&uact=5#spf=1566610136782

mariomike said:
Having been mandated to work the Pride parade in Toronto, I agree that Doug's description of "buck naked men running down the middle of Yonge St." was pretty accurate.  :)
https://www.google.com/search?ei=hJFgXfSKA6K-ggfw5LnACg&q=%22doug+ford%22+buck+naked+men+Yonge&oq=%22doug+ford%22+buck+naked+men+Yonge&gs_l=psy-ab.12...13054.14530..17269...0.0..0.143.610.0j5......0....1..gws-wiz.t_R6D_5BiqU&ved=0ahUKEwj03JSjrJrkAhUin-AKHXByDqgQ4dUDCAo#spf=1566609813333

I believe he did finally relent under pressure and participated in a much tamer Pride event up in Newmarket.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=x5JgXYLpE8Pp_QaZwYu4AQ&q=%22doug+ford%22+pride+newmarket&oq=%22doug+ford%22+pride+newmarket&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39.13510.16900..17491...0.0..0.157.303.0j2......0....1..gws-wiz.WAotZkENQUQ&ved=0ahUKEwjC6Ke9rZrkAhXDdN8KHZngAhcQ4dUDCAo&uact=5#spf=1566610136782

I lived at Bay and Bloor for a year.  I saw it first hand.

Remius said:
I lived at Bay and Bloor for a year.  I saw it first hand.

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.  :)

Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course.

>when the only federal leader who does not go and refuses to explain his position, it’s  been mostly awkward avoidance and talking points it plays right I to the “secret agenda” or “intolerance” narrative.

If this is all just people who wouldn't vote for him under any circumstances, it hardly matters.  Try to imagine the voter who is waiting to switch from not-CPC to CPC on the basis of whether or not the leader attends a Pride event.  What kind of person is that?  How many of them are there?

This is about making Scheer bend the knee.  Does kowtowing to Goodale's gambit benefit Scheer?  Suppose Scheer attends.  Possible responses from the critics:
1) Thank you, Andrew! Way to go.
2) Oh, he doesn't really mean it.  He's just doing this because Goodale called him out.

I don't think there's a scenario in which Scheer wins, but there is a scenario in which he looks weak and willing to pander.

Back