• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rucking with body armor?

pbi said:
Hey   >:D 39.   How's pogue-atory? I remember the 32 km march: I did one in the winter in Calgary (1PP) a part of a fitness test trial. Seemed like quite a demanding thing at the time. When did we stop doing it? Cheers.

Pogue-atory is exactly that.   Could be worse, I could be riding the OC Transpo in my monkey suit every day.  

32 km was a real test in my opinion.   I don't know when they stopped them, but it was not a very popular activity for most.   But that doesn't mean it wasn't worthwhile.  

I did a winter 32 km march that started at midnight in Ghost River at the end of a 7 day winter ex.   A couple of troops didn't pack combat boots as per Ops 150 and completed the march in mukluks.   Ouch.

The 32km was hard, but I completed it so it must be possible. I think we should bring it back in Reg Field Force units as a more challenging and "task oriented" test than the current 13km which any average person can do with a little bit of backbone. Doing that once a year is really a test of much. Cheers.

Do they still do 32km ruck marches for reserve units?

I would like to try one (although I'm sure it's a lot easier said than done).

pbi said:
The 32km was hard, but I completed it so it must be possible. I think we should bring it back in Reg Field Force units as a more challenging and "task oriented" test than the current 13km which any average person can do with a little bit of backbone. Doing that once a year is really a test of much. Cheers.

I think they should bring it back for Reg Force Infantry units, and those attached who are expected to march with the "F" ech.

Why wouldn't we ruck with that stuff? We have to train as we fight do we not? If it is issued it should be worn.

I found your forum by searching on the web.  I am one of those civilians your moderator discusses when you register.  I'm writing as I have a good friend whose son (a U.S. Marine) is about to start his first duty in Irag.  No jarhead comments please.  Since I'm pretty good at getting around on the web, his mother asked if I'd look into what they could do to help protect him as much as they can.  It has made the news from time to time here that the protective body armour availability is a little sporatic.  I've read in your messages that Oakley glasses are a must as well as Nomex gloves. Additional body armour for the legs has also been mentioned as being essential in some other articles I've read.  Also it would appear as though the heat is a major factor.  I've found information about body cooling systems, interceptor body armour with ceramic plates, etc.  This marine isn't stupid.  He'll be researching this as well, but if any of you have any suggestions about what we might do to help him out and get back home standing up, we'd appreciate it.

Back