• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP time commitment for Regs

safeboy43

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am applying to the Regs through ROTP and am wondering about the time commitment involved if I am working towards a History degree at a Civi Uni. I phoned my local CFRC and talked to an Officer Cadet in ROTP. I got some answers from him but they were kind of shaky. I asked him about the time commitment for a 4 year degree and his first answer was 5 years max and by the end of the conversation it was 13 years!

Now, from what I can gather, the commitment depends on your trade and the degree you are taking. So....would I be able to find how much time I will be committing to the CF if I pursue a 4 year History Degree through ROTP?

Any help would be great!

Twitch said:
Hey everybody,

I am applying to the Regs through ROTP and am wondering about the time commitment involved if I am working towards a History degree at a Civi Uni. I phoned my local CFRC and talked to an Officer Cadet in ROTP. I got some answers from him but they were kind of shaky. I asked him about the time commitment for a 4 year degree and his first answer was 5 years max and by the end of the conversation it was 13 years!

Now, from what I can gather, the commitment depends on your trade and the degree you are taking. So....would I be able to find how much time I will be committing to the CF if I pursue a 4 year History Degree through ROTP?

Any help would be great!

And of course you search for an answer prior to posting this?  Obligatory service is the service you must serve to pay the CF back for paying for your degree.  If you decide to release before the obligatory service is complete then you will be required to pay the CF any monies owing back, which is prorated.  The obligatory service is approximately 5 years.  The 13 years is the contract that you sign or the Variable Intermediate Engagement (VIE).  So you will serve nine years (4 for the degree plus 5 for obligatory service) plus another 4 years to complete your VIE.  However, you may request a release after your obligatory service is complete and if granted you would not owe any monies. I am positive that is how it was explained to you at the recruiting centre but of course you weren't listening.

HH and DA

kincanucks said:
And of course you search for an answer prior to posting this?  Obligatory service is the service you must serve to pay the CF back for paying for your degree.  If you decide to release before the obligatory service is complete then you will be required to pay the CF any monies owing back, which is prorated.  The obligatory service is approximately 5 years.  The 13 years is the contract that you sign or the Variable Intermediate Engagement (VIE).  So you will serve nine years (4 for the degree plus 5 for obligatory service) plus another 4 years to complete your VIE.  However, you may request a release after your obligatory service is complete and if granted you would not owe any monies. I am positive that is how it was explained to you at the recruiting centre but of course you weren't listening.

HH and DA

Hi kincanucks,

Thanks for your reply.  I did a search and did not find what I was looking for. Therefore, I posted a new topic. I can also assure you that I did not receive an explanation as detailed as yours at the CFRC. The OCdt started off saying that 5 years is the max that you have to serve (total) and then reversed himself after five minutes saying that 13 years is the max. Otherwise, he was great at explaining the process but that was one difficulty I had.

I'm not joining the CF so I can get a degree and release either. The only reason I'm inquiring is a "worst case scenario" situation where I join and hate it. I just wouldn't want to be stuck in the CF for 13 years being a stupid asshole who hates his job, that's all.

Thank you again, kincanucks :)

Twitch said:
Hi kincanucks,

Thanks for your reply.  I did a search and did not find what I was looking for. Therefore, I posted a new topic. I can also assure you that I did not receive an explanation as detailed as yours at the CFRC. The OCdt started off saying that 5 years is the max that you have to serve (total) and then reversed himself after five minutes saying that 13 years is the max. Otherwise, he was great at explaining the process but that was one difficulty I had.

I'm not joining the CF so I can get a degree and release either. The only reason I'm inquiring is a "worst case scenario" situation where I join and hate it. I just wouldn't want to be stuck in the CF for 13 years being a stupid asshole who hates his job, that's all.

Thank you again, kincanucks :)

You are welcome.  Sorry I didn't see the Ocdt part.  That would definitely explain your confusion.

That's why WE tend not to let the OCdt's answer the phones ...  ;D

Subsidized education such as ROTP and NCMSEP obligatory service are the standard two to one ratio. For every month of subsidization you owe two months of service. If you are taking a four year degree you are in school for approx 8 months per year = 32 months subsidized education so you would owe 64 months of service. The other 4 months your are working usually on various courses all summer.

Your Terms of Service (employment contract length) would be the standard 13 years. You can leave before the end of your 13 years is up but may have to pay for any obligatory service you have not completed.

Hope this clears it up. (I'm not an OCdt nor have I been thru ROTP but someone can correct me if I'm wrong) 

Back