• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP/RMC Application - Interesting high school marks!

pumpy14

Inactive
Reaction score
This is my first post on Army.ca, so if I'm doing something obviously wrong that I have failed to see feel free to tell me!
Also, I'd like to say that this forum is very helpful and impressive.

THE SITUATION: (its kinda long, but worth reading!) ;)
So here is my situation. I have always been interested in joining the military but I wasn't sure it was what I wanted to do until a couple of months ago. I want to apply for pilot (I know, many people do!) and I think ROTP is my best route to becoming an officer. I have finished grade 11 and I am starting grade 12 in a month. I have my private pilot's license, I have played house league hockey and AAA and AA baseball for over 10 years. I taught myself programming and made some iPhone apps which are for sale on the App Store. I have earned thousands from these apps. I taught myself to solve a rubik's cube, practiced a lot, and competed in many competitions. I bike and swim all the time, so I'm fairly active. My flight instructor told me I was in his top 3 students and he's been teaching for many, many years. I am starting to volunteer a couple times a week at the Canadian Warbird Heritage museum, and I have volunteered in the past managing baseball tournaments for kids, and being a "dummy" (pretending to drown and choke and stuff) for my friend while he completed his life guard training. Some of my other hobbies consist of RC airplanes and cars (I like tweaking them and stuff), playing ping pong (a lot of ping pong), and model trains. I was in the Toronto Star, Global TV, A Rogers news channel, CP24 TV show, Discovery Canada TV show, and 2 radio talk shows, including Virgin radio in Toronto. I also received a letter from the mayor of Mississauga congratulating me on my successes (never told anyone that!).

Here's the problem. I am in the International Business and Technology program at a high school called Gordon Graydon, 200 out of over 1000 get in. I must take IBT (thats the program acronym) courses instead of normal academic courses when they are offered. They are much, much harder. The idea is that you get used to the challenge and when you get to University everything seems easier. The problem is that because the classes are harder, my marks are lower than they would be if I was in a normal high school, taking normal academic classes. One of my friends had some marks in the 60s, some 70s, and the odd 80. He decided he wanted to go to his home high school to be with his friends and because it was easier. He told me that he was doing less work, and his average went from being in the 70s, to being in the 90s. He also told me the grade 11 math class he was taking was easier than the grade 10 math class in IBT. I have heard similar things from some of my other friends.

THE QUESTION:
I have had some 60s, some 80s, but mostly 70s. My grade 9-11 average is 74.6, and my grade 10-11 average is 73.5. I am told that for RMC/ROTP they average grade 10-12 marks. If I send in a note from my school explaining the program that I am in, will they understand why my marks are lower, or will they just look at it and say: "He has mid 70s, everyone else has mid 80s, who cares what high school he went to."?

Do you think despite my average I have a good chance at getting into ROTP or even going to RMC?
If I somehow pull off a 90 average in grade 12 (it's a big if, but still, IF) then will they see I have drastically improved? Or will they just look at it as another year of high school?

All opinions are appreciated!
Thanks!

(I don't want it to seem like I'm bragging, I never talk about this stuff with anyone and was kind of nervous about posting on this forum, I just want some help and opinions from this great community! I really want to get into ROTP, even if I have to apply every year for the next 4 years!)

If your school is that much harder and has a competitive enrollment - RMC might already know that.

Best bet is stroll on down to your recruiting centre. depending on what area of Mississauga you are that would be Toronto or Hamilton whichever is closer to you.

Doesn't hurt to apply - and these are all things you can talk to the recruiting staff about or the career counselor during the interview.

If you are talking about the International Baccalaureate Programme then it is already recognized by RMC

http://www.rmc.ca/adm/nces-senc-eng.asp

Back