• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2010-2011

Breaking my posting cherry in this thread:

So, I'm three years into my non-Science degree in university. I spend Christmas making some big life decisions, and then head to the CFRC here in town to discuss the CEOTP, having researched all the options and feeling that was the best path for me (as I had planned to enrol in the CF and do my university courses part-time on my own time, only to find out there was a TP for it!).

However - of course the CFRC has no information on the CEOTP. At all. No wonder I couldn't find much information about it online, as there doesn't seem to be much information in existence. So... they suggested the ROTP this past weekend, which I was fine with. I had originally avoided it, having thought of it as super competitive and not thinking they would want to pay for a bachelor's degree in English Literature... but they pushed me towards it. (Even though I read somewhere on here that the ROTP requires at least two years of subsidized schooling, and by the time it comes into affect for me, I'll only have one and a half left... yet the recruiters didn't seem to know anything about that... so maybe not.)

Now I've been rushing to try and get all the information together for my application and filling it out this past week (I got the package on Tuesday), and trying to get it in for THIS Tuesday.

So, to sum up my outlook on the future of my application:

Possible Negatives:
- Grades might not be high enough, depending on how competitive it is.
- I have a 'black spot' on my medical record, in that I went through some tough times in my teens. Had a bout with depression that saw me into a psych ward for about a month, albeit a relatively relaxed psych ward 'program' for teens. Unfortunately, how this looks in my medical records and the decision that comes from seeing it will be in the hands of some individual in Ottawa. Should they see it as a negative, I'll most likely be unable to join the Forces /at all/, not just the ROTP. If that is the case, I wish I could explain the issues to those passing judgement on my past, as I see the fact I came out successfully from this 'black spot' as a strength, and not a weakness. So, I hope they do as well.

Possible Positives:
- Applying for a MARS officer position, which everyone seems to say is in desperate need of capable individuals. (If anyone dares to just laugh at my choice of occupation, you'd best back it up with some sound reasoning - I'm tired of reading people's responses to those who choose to apply as a MARS Officer, with no reasoning behind why they think it's a bad choice.)
- Lots of extracurriculars...

I guess once I've handed it in - the rest is up to fate.

Also - from what I've read consistently in the threads here - only the paperwork needs to be in by the 15th. The medical, CFAT, and interview can be done soon after. Which is good... because I need to upgrade my glasses before I go do any eye testing and whatnot.

PrairieBoy said:
I've got another question, Arcany, about updating marks: What if some of the marks we had when we submitted our application have gone down since then? For example, I had a 75% in Mathematics when I submitted my application, not too great, but passable. I had a rather bad unit, and then failed a test, and that mark has gone far down. I might be able to recover and end this semester in the mid to high 60s. Will they still judge me based on my 75%, or will they look at the more recent marks?

Well for me they looked at my average to see if it was at least 70%. If they do the same for you then as long as your average hasn't gone down below 70%, you're not out of it. For exemple, my grade profile is schyzophrenic to say the least. I have high  nineties in history and geography, mid-low eighties in economy and I am esperately mediocre in mathematics yet my average is above 80% so RMC found my file "academically" suitable.

Hey, does anyone know when the early selection board is being held, or if it has already happened? I've been waiting for it since November, and the last I heard it was moved to January, but I'm not sure if this is a rumour or fact.  :)

VBanks said:
Hey, does anyone know when the early selection board is being held, or if it has already happened? I've been waiting for it since November, and the last I heard it was moved to January, but I'm not sure if this is a rumour or fact.  :)

I too have been on the Merit List, waiting since November when I was told that there would be an early selection board in either December or January, but have not heard anything since.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also - from what I've read consistently in the threads here - only the paperwork needs to be in by the 15th. The medical, CFAT, and interview can be done soon after. Which is good... because I need to upgrade my glasses before I go do any eye testing and whatnot.

No, you have to have your application, medical and CFAT done by the 15th, that way you're in the system.

VBanks said:

I too heard the same thing from an RMC liaison officer as I had stated earlier in the thread. On the merit list too so I'm in the same boat.

Arcany said:
No, you have to have your application, medical and CFAT done by the 15th, that way you're in the system.
I was definitely told by the recruiting office that only the paperwork needs to be in by the 15h. I think it's preferable if the medical, interview and CFAT are done before so aswell, but not mandatory.

(Just what I was told, don't rip my post apart.)

It's cool, I might be wrong. Here's why I believe that the medical and CFAT needed to be done by the 15th.

I called the recruiting office a few days ago to ask if it was alright if I did my ACS test after the application deadline and the recruiter said that it was alright as long as I have my medical, CFAT and paperwork handed in by the 15th. Maybe they were wrong, but I'm going to play it safe and get my things done by the 15th.

Better not need your medical and everything done before the 15 or I won't even be considered :( I live in the UK and just send my forms in this morning

i emailed cfrc vancouver today regarding my (starting to look like problematic) medical stage and they said they sent a letter to me.... Now the interesting is I'm fine, but I'm starting to worry about what could be in the letter... anyone would have a vague idea?

Whats problematic with your medical stage? What do they actually do during your medicals? Anything physical like pushups and all that? Or is it just blood tests and what not?

simple stuff, nothing difficult, pushups yes alittle bit. its problematic in my opinion cuz its taking a long time... compared to everything else which was done very smoothly

I'm applying since march and I had a lot of pitfalls...But still, I think I may have a chance...don't worry , sometimes we choose a hazardous path...it is bureaucracy , it meens paper work and time.

So I handed all my paperwork in yesterday. Not going to lie I was a bit nervous since this was my first university application. So I forgot to ask when I should get a call about my CFAT, Medical and Interview. Anyone have a rough idea when I should be expecting that?(I went to the CFRC in New Westminster, BC.)

Thank You!

i got my letter today and they require more info.... considering the time it takes for me to make a docs appointment and etc I should still make the first selection board right??

So yesterday I received an email from the CFRC saying I need to book an update interview. I did an interview last year for ROTP Pilot but I guess I need to do another just to make sure it's still what I want. I'm assuming it won't be as long as the first, I just know the interview was what I was most nervous for during last year's application process...so hopefully I can upgrade from my original interview by going in confident, unlike last year haha. I'm guessing this will be the last thing to complete in my process though, but who knows what else the CFRC could surprise me with!

I am so nervous right now, I don't think I've been more nervous for anything else. I have the medical and CFAT tomorrow and it's such a make or break type of thing y'know? I know that I'll be more worried about the ACS and interview though... I wonder what your updated interview will be like,
"Hi, would you still like to be a Pilot for the CF?"
"YESS!!!"
"Alright, thank you, NEXT!"

Haha...if only eh?

terminator50 said:
i got my letter today and they require more info.... considering the time it takes for me to make a docs appointment and etc I should still make the first selection board right??

What was in the letter? Was it the merit list letter?

Back