• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Roll Out of New VAC Programs

This is the issue that I'm pondering. I have two years, not counting any extension, to CRA. If I continue to serve I can't access the programme, but I'm not convinced just yet that I want to fully release.

ModlrMike said:
This is the issue that I'm pondering. I have two years, not counting any extension, to CRA. If I continue to serve I can't access the programme, but I'm not convinced just yet that I want to fully release.

I guess for your situation, you would need to judge is whatever you would do with that money worth more than two years of additional employment?

If you've already reached 35 years and top out the pension at 70%, maybe not. 

I can tell you that as a 31 year old man with plenty of time left to give any organization I work for, unless the CAF gives me what I asked for, I'm taking the money and running.  I would join the Res Force but not if I lose 80k money. 

Kind of funny how they want to grow the Res Force but can't make an exception for former Regulars  ;D

Humphrey Bogart said:
Kind of funny how they want to grow the Res Force but can't make an exception for former Regulars  ;D

Why start now? As I understand it, it's already far easier for a civvie to become a reservists than for a Reg F member ;)

Humphrey is it possible in your situation to fully release from reg force get the education benefit and then once approved enrol as a reservist? Enrollment is suppose to be rather quick nowadays anyway.

I believe that's D&B plan on how to get around it unless the policy covers that.

Teager said:
Humphrey is it possible in your situation to fully release from reg force get the education benefit and then once approved enrol as a reservist? Enrollment is suppose to be rather quick nowadays anyway.

I believe that's D&B plan on how to get around it unless the policy covers that.

He definitely can. The policy allows reenrolment without penalty.

Brihard said:
He definitely can. The policy allows reenrolment without penalty.

My understanding is as soon as you re-enroll, the funding immediately ceases.  It can be started again if you leave but you can not be enrolled in any service while you claim it.  If I'm going to school, would it not benefit the military if I remained in the service and kept relatively current in my trade/branch?  Do I have some corporate knowledge that could provide immediate benefit to the service? 

Treating the Reserves and the Regular Forces as one and the same is a nice thought but they aren't and will never be one and the same.

Does anyone think this program may be clawed back? It looks similar to training an officer in ROTP, but cheaper. But I can't help but get the feeling that it is perhaps too good to be true for the long term. Any thoughts?

Cwes said:
Does anyone think this program may be clawed back? It looks similar to training an officer in ROTP, but cheaper. But I can't help but get the feeling that it is perhaps too good to be true for the long term. Any thoughts?
Its a horribly under funded program that'll run out of money before the next election. I wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear.

So far this has gone pretty much as I expected. A complete waste of time.

I applied for the education benefit the day it was available. Didn't hear anything back after a month, it says that the applications can take up to a month so I didn't think much of it and sent in a message asking for a status update and got a stock response basically saying "yeah it'll take up to a month we're working on it just keep waiting".

So I waited another few weeks, got busy with life, and before I know it I'm at 2 months since applying so I send in another message asking for a status update. They reply saying that somehow my application was received but somehow the department that processes the applications was never notified but they'll submit an urgent ticket to get it rectified.

Then I get another message pretty much right away, which was encouraging, but it said "We have received your application and are processing it, which can take up to 4 weeks.

I've asked other members and found that they already got it and are enrolled for semesters this past summer. But now it's too late for me to do the same and I'm going to have to wait till the fall semester.

So yeah another shit show, honestly I have such low expectations for military administration and they always manage to surprise me anyway.

Clerk Wannabe said:
So far this has gone pretty much as I expected. A complete waste of time.

I applied for the education benefit the day it was available. Didn't hear anything back after a month, it says that the applications can take up to a month so I didn't think much of it and sent in a message asking for a status update and got a stock response basically saying "yeah it'll take up to a month we're working on it just keep waiting".

So I waited another few weeks, got busy with life, and before I know it I'm at 2 months since applying so I send in another message asking for a status update. They reply saying that somehow my application was received but somehow the department that processes the applications was never notified but they'll submit an urgent ticket to get it rectified.

Then I get another message pretty much right away, which was encouraging, but it said "We have received your application and are processing it, which can take up to 4 weeks.

I've asked other members and found that they already got it and are enrolled for semesters this past summer. But now it's too late for me to do the same and I'm going to have to wait till the fall semester.

So yeah another crap show, honestly I have such low expectations for military administration and they always manage to surprise me anyway.

So you already applied for and got accepted to an educational program, right?

No, the application just asked if I was or not and the course I'm taking doesn't require you to apply and be accepted. It's a tech school so you just attend courses and apply for graduation.

OK, so you at least registered for a course and included that in the education and training plan you submitted to VAC, right? As the program policy states you're expected to?

You don't just apply for funding and they throw cash at you then you apply to school. You're expected to show VAC that you are accepted for / registered in a program or course and that the educational institution is on HRDC's list of educational or training institutions.

Here is the VAC policy on the ETB. You need to read it thoroughly.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2685

No, you apply for eligibility and when you're approved, you do the education plan, then they give you access to the funding.

The paperwork I have from the application I submitted states "An eligibility decision must be made before you can submit an ETB plan".

And from the link you sent me, completion of an ETB is not listed as a part of the eligibility criteria. It states that an ETB must be completed before the start of the PROGRAM, not before eligibility is determined (see para 21). And even if it were a requirement, that would (one would hope) have been a part of the application, which it is not. 

Brihard said:
OK, so you at least registered for a course and included that in the education and training plan you submitted to VAC, right? As the program policy states you're expected to?

You don't just apply for funding and they throw cash at you then you apply to school. You're expected to show VAC that you are accepted for / registered in a program or course and that the educational institution is on HRDC's list of educational or training institutions.

Here is the VAC policy on the ETB. You need to read it thoroughly.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2685

So if you are correct, they want you to shell out money for admission, a plar and other fees before their willing to tell you if you are eligible? I don't think that is true and if it is, it's wrong.

When using the terms to refer to a benefit, it's good to be careful with what the words / abbreviations mean. This assists in making it clear what is being discussed:

ETB: Education Training Benefit (the entire program),
ETP: Education and Training Plan

Yes. Under paras 32 and 33, a veteran must submit an Education Training Plan before any funding for the ETB are released. With some pro-active creativity, the required information for paras 32 and 33 do not require a PLAR to be started. So the only real up front expense, would be your previous school transcripts sent to the university / college and their admissions fee (save the receipts). Once accepted, use the school's course calendar to estimate: costs, time to program  completion and intended course descriptions. Update your file as changes become necessary.

So up front costs are a few hundred dollars, but those are reimbursable once approved for the ETB.

Clerk Wannabe said:
No, you apply for eligibility and when you're approved, you do the education plan, then they give you access to the funding.

The paperwork I have from the application I submitted states "An eligibility decision must be made before you can submit an ETB plan".

And from the link you sent me, completion of an ETB is not listed as a part of the eligibility criteria. It states that an ETB must be completed before the start of the PROGRAM, not before eligibility is determined (see para 21). And even if it were a requirement, that would (one would hope) have been a part of the application, which it is not.

First- my apologies. My tone sucked.

I just logged into MyVAC and checked out the application, and I now see what you mean. I just submitted an application myself basically to see what was involved; I may well be diving in on this a year from now, there's a program I intent to apply for, and if I get accepted I'll be releasing to access this benefit.

So from waht I now understand, you submitted this application and are basically waiting for the 'yup, you're good to go' decision, at which point you would register for a program or course(s) and submit your education and training plan.

From what it looks like to me, yes, this does mean you will incur costs before they approve and release funding. On the flip side, ETB comes with minimal criteria other than eligible service and being completely released, so as long as your education / training institution is recognized by the government, you should be set from there.

I would venture to guess that they are getting more demand for this than expected. I don't think they anticipated a bunch of people taking release specifically to access this benefit... I'd be curious to know what the numbers are.

Brihard said:
I would venture to guess that they are getting more demand for this than expected. I don't think they anticipated a bunch of people taking release specifically to access this benefit... I'd be curious to know what the numbers are.

Sounds like a good subject for a poll  :nod:

I don't think they anticipated a bunch of people taking release specifically to access this benefit

I'll take things a blind man could see for 500, Alex. How could they not see that?

Back