• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rocky SV2 boots

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Rockey's (sv2's) from Work world in Pembroke (one of the best stores I've ever bought from, owner and staff are awesome)

I love these boots.  Their a mix between (IMO) mark 3's and jungle boots.  $237 but well Worth it.  Their a little heavy (actually pretty noticeable) but I didn't notice wearing them. The first day I had them I broke them in by doing section attacks up and down the Mattawa. 0 break in time and no blisters, everyone else who has them whom I spoke with agree.
Further to the section attack week I wore them for a week of recce patrols and raids and have no comfort issues. Best bots I've purchased.

One issue I've had with them though and hopefully someone can give some advice on what to do.

After the first couple days I noticed the threading coming out of the boots. They still worked but threading shouldn't come out after a day or two. Other people didn't have that problem, figured I got a bum pair of boots.
I took them in to work world and he handed me a brand new pair.
The threading on the second pair is starting to come out. Work world offered to replace them with a brand new pair again however I declined and then they offered to have them fixed up at a shoe repair place (they cover the cost)

The boots are still totally functional but I'm wondering why the threads are starting to pop out.
It's almost like a whole batch of the boots were threaded poorly. Would shoe glue work to kinda seal the threads in?

How are they for sizing? Do they size as noted on the box or smaller/bigger than other of the same indicated size? Seems like a strange question, but as we all know, one company's last is not necessarily the same for another company.

I ended up having a shoe repair guy re thread some spots on the boots. Cost a couple of bucks ($4) but their perfect now.

As for the sizing, I'm not sure how to answer.
She size I take 9 1/2
Magnums and Swats I take 9w
With the rockies I got 9 1/2 wide so I think their basically made to spec with running shoes as far as  sizing difference goes?

Thanks for the reply. Ordered a pair from an Ottawa supplier, and just wanted to get anecdotal info on how they fit compared to other manufacturers' tactical-style boots. What I gather is they indicate 1/2 larger for same actual fit as others (Magnums and Swats)? Same socks (eg black/green sock system) and stock insoles (Rockys seem to have a very thick insole, esp at the heel)?

If they are, as you say, a mix of Mk IIIs and jungle boots, then I am definitely looking forward to trying them on, as I consider the Mk IIIs to be the most comfortable boots I have worn.

Side note: R.Nichols does not/not carry Rockys anymore. Ottawa Safety Supplies gets them more regularly now. Not sure of any other retailers in the NCR that carry them. Closest I have heard is Pembroke.

What I gather is they indicate 1/2 larger for same actual fit as others (Magnums and Swats)?
That's what I've found. I didn't actually try on a pair of rockeys in 9w but the 9-1/2w fit perfectly.

Their a little heavy but I think that's because I'm used to magnums.  Once their on your feet I find you don't notice the extra weight.

As far as being water resistant goes, their not.
Their probably the least water-resistant footwear I've ever owned next to sandals. Marching in the rain they got instantly wet (not just from the drain holes in the side), other guys had dry boots.
On the bright side they dry near instantly.  I think it's a good trade off. 
The insoles are thick, I picked up an extra pair for $20.  The heel is thick on them and theirs little pockets and channels in the bottom of them designed (so I'm told) to actually channel water out of the insoles and boots when you walk (which stands to reason considering how fast they dry).

I'm not sure how good Ottawa Saftey Supplies is but I got mine in Pembroke (Work world/valley work wear? I can't remember the name).  I only buy boots from them and I'll drive 3 hours each way to do so.

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
How is the stock at Work World in Pembroke? Good selection of sizes? Black, tan and/or hunter?

When I got mine last year, they were running out of black so I tried on tan boots to get the size.  One I had that, I don't remember it being more then a week for them to order the boots in for me.

Rocky S2Vs and the Green Superfeet insoles are the shiznit, yo.

Are there any places around the GTA or Toronto where they would sell the Rocky S2V's?

Well, I've had these in brown and black.  Either way the best boots I've ever owned.

I spent up to 14 hrs a day standing on a differential case in the hmmwv turret on the last roto, and I was always comfy.  I didnt do a whole lot of walking (read almost none) outside the wire, but the one 26km mountian mind@#$% patrol I did, the boots held up really nice.

As for the black ones I finally won the boot battle at work (18 months and 30 pairs of bloody socks later)
I found out they made them in black, and I did'nt even have to shop around at all, my mind was set.

I did my BFT in them after wearing them for 6 work days.

It sounds stupid, but wait!

I was FINE.  No work ups either, I haven't done a ruck march before then in over a year, the only place I took it was from my bunk to the gun truck, to the laundry and back.

I had zero blisters, zero hot spots, my ankles and knees were fine, I came home, took my boots off and did a bare foot "victory lap" across the carpet in the living room. (those of you who have had hot spots know how much this sucks).  Then I went for a run, had shower and went grocery shopping.

Tonight I took them out with me fishing, ir rained BUCKETS.  My feet did get wet, I went into the water getting a lure un-stuck, I took one step out of the water and watched as half the river was instantly ejected out of my boot. Within about 2 hrs my feet were almost toally dry. 

hope this helps.

AB

Ps.  I take a 10-10 1/2 E MkIII and I take a 10 1/2 R rocky.

Sam;

Gordon Contracts on Norfinch rd in North York.  They aren't on the site, but they will order them for you.  Takes about 2 weeks.  W/ a mil discount comes up to $244 a pair.  Glad the green machine is footing the bill on this one for me.

AB
http://www.gordoncontract.ca/

Wonderbread said:
When I got mine last year, they were running out of black so I tried on tan boots to get the size.  One I had that, I don't remember it being more then a week for them to order the boots in for me.

Rocky S2Vs and the Green Superfeet insoles are the shiznit, yo.
Did you get the insoles at Work World too?

I usually wear an orthodic (Vasyli or Sole) in all my other boots but the Rocky insole is so thick that any of my orthodics seem too thin and leave too much room in the boot for my feet to move around in.  I knew when I bought them and looked at the stock insole that my orthodics weren't going to work but I figured they seemed comfortable enough.  I do notice the aches in my feet from inadequate arch support though.

Overall I think the Rockys are a decent boot in dry weather.  I had a horrible time breaking them in, specifically around my ankle area.  What I like best about them is there apparent durability when compared to some other boots I own 9Danners, and SWATs), but I won't be buying a tan pair until I can sort out the insole problem.

Nope, Sportcheck at the mall in Pembroke.  I've seen them carried at other Sportchecks as well.

DirtyDog said:

I usually wear an orthodic (Vasyli or Sole) in all my other boots but the Rocky insole is so thick that any of my orthodics seem too thin and leave too much room in the boot for my feet to move around in.  I knew when I bought them and looked at the stock insole that my orthodics weren't going to work but I figured they seemed comfortable enough.  I do notice the aches in my feet from inadequate arch support though.

Overall I think the Rockys are a decent boot in dry weather.  I had a horrible time breaking them in, specifically around my ankle area.  What I like best about them is there apparent durability when compared to some other boots I own 9Danners, and SWATs), but I won't be buying a tan pair until I can sort out the insole problem.

Don't forget the Soles come in three thicknesses - Mark's Work Warehouse sells the "boot" versions, or thickest Soles (black coloured). Worth a test at the store with your boots.
How long did it take for you to break in the S2Vs? and under what conditions?

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
Don't forget the Soles come in three thicknesses - Mark's Work Warehouse sells the "boot" versions, or thickest Soles (black coloured). Worth a test at the store with your boots.
How long did it take for you to break in the S2Vs? and under what conditions?
I wanted to use my issued orthodics as they seem to work for me, and are free.  I accomplished this by buying a thin, flat, mesh insole and then stacking my orthodic on top.  Seems to work so far, but I haven't got any really time with them.  Also prompted me to buy a set of tan Rocky's (alongside a pair of Oakleys and a pair of Danners).

I broke the Rocky's in mostly in garrison as I try to avoid wearing uncomfortable boots to the field.  I hope the tans break in faster.

My boots are starting to eat laces.  Well one boot and only at a specific eyelet.  Does anyone have any fixes for this that have worked in the past or can recommend heavy duty laces?
I bought a set of laces at FSG in Petawawa for $8 and they lasted 2 weeks, non-field work.

DirtyDog said:
I wanted to use my issued orthodics as they seem to work for me, and are free.  I accomplished this by buying a thin, flat, mesh insole and then stacking my orthodic on top.  Seems to work so far, but I haven't got any really time with them.  Also prompted me to buy a set of tan Rocky's (alongside a pair of Oakleys and a pair of Danners).

I broke the Rocky's in mostly in garrison as I try to avoid wearing uncomfortable boots to the field.  I hope the tans break in faster.
Rockys will tend to eat laces.  It's usually due to burrs on the metal eyelets.  I solved the problem on one pair by smoothing the burr down with a file.  It can be tricky to get at it properly.

On a side note, I couldn't be happier with my tan Rockys so far.  Since I wear them pretty well all day everyday for the last 5 months, I've had ZERO foot issues due to the constant support.  True to their namesake, and the tread on the sole, they were great through humps up rocky mountain slopes and were able to get a good purchase when climbing over grapefield walls.  They have held up well and both pairs look like they could easily do another tour.  I've seen a few others lose the breather grommets and one sole seperate.

That was exactly it. I couldn't find them down so I rotated the eyelets. Should be good for another little while.

Does anyone by chance have the number or email address for Work world in Pembroke. ( store across from McDonalds )

Has anyone had a problem with these boots and the eyelits? I've had a lace cut off and 2 eyelits pop out of the leather. Only response I got from Rocky was a canned response about warranty and that I'd have to ship them to Tactown who will ship them to Rocky and then maybe I'll get boots in a month or so.

I haven't had any issues with my Rockys yet.  I did replace the laces as soon as I got them to paracord though. 

Back