• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RMC team ends 128 game losing streak

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1428394&auth=Sun%20Media

Royal Military College women's hoops team earns its first-ever win, ends 128-game losing skid
By Sun Media  10 Feb 2009

Some screamed. Some cried. Some just jumped for joy.

Members of the Royal Military College women's basketball team had every right to celebrate long and hard last night after the Paladins broke a 128-game losing streak to record their first regular season win in school history.

RMC beat the York Lions 64-61 in Ontario University Athletics play recently, notching its first win in the fourth-last game of its sixth season of play.

"I just started yelling at the top of my lungs (when the buzzer sounded)," said RMC forward Sharlene Harding, a 34-year-old mother of two who returned to school to complete her master's degree in war studies this season and played a starring role Friday night.

"The whole gym just exploded. The men's team was yelling, parents were yelling. People were jumping, hugging and crying. It was crazy."

Harding, a former Queen's Golden Gael who was an assistant coach with RMC for the past five years before playing this season, had 25 points and 12 rebounds in the historic win.

RMC, 0-18 on the season heading into play last night, led by 11 at halftime but had the edge whittled down to one in the fourth quarter.

"It was a really long (fourth quarter)," said Harding, who has a five-year-old son named Kingston (her parents were born in Kingston, Jamaica) and a two-year-old daughter named Saba. "It was very stressful the whole time. But we all just said, 'Calm down.'

"At the end, I was just in a bit of awe. I couldn't believe it ... This is the best win ever."

Harding and coach Brad Schur both have been with the program since it began play in 2003.

"There were fountains all over the place, there were a lot of tears," Schur said.

"The biggest thing for me was just seeing how happy the players were. They were like kids in a candy store."

The Paladins planned to go out for a team dinner last night before travelling by bus to Sudbury today for a game tonight against the Laurentian Lady Vees.

"Life is good," Schur said.

"I never had any doubt (the Paladins eventually would win), especially the way we've been playing this year. It was just a matter of time."

Kim Egert of Westport was the third-leading scorer for the Paladins, scoring nine points.

What a great story, well done to the team. Now if only my Maple Leafs can break their losing streak!!

Awesome job, keep it up and good luck with the next game!

I saw the headline, and thought "Please don't let it be York, please don't let it be York..."

Darn.  :p

So their lifetime record is 1-128.

The CF pays for this sports team why again?  Has the concept of reinforcing success ever crossed anyone's mind?

dapaterson said:

The CF pays for this sports team why again?  Has the concept of reinforcing success ever crossed anyone's mind?

128 more to go for a winning record! :)

dapaterson said:

Perhaps it's the concept of perseverance  ;)

dapaterson said:

Maybe because the concept of giving it your all is something more important to learn?

Seems funny that some rant that there are too many in high places more worried about their *success* rather than their giving it the best attempt possible, yet would toss this team a sucker punch from the back.......

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Maybe because the concept of giving it your all is something more important to learn?

Seems funny that some rant that there are too many in high places more worried about their *success* rather than their giving it the best attempt possible, yet would toss this team a sucker punch from the back.......

Well said. I was taught that to win or lose is not important, it's how you played the game that counted, and never give up. Good life lesson that applies to just about everything, and that is why we support sports teams, to develop our people, not to win. We can leave winning to the Maple Leafs (I digress).

What's wrong with intramurals?  Why does RMC need extramural teams at all?  (Particularly those with 1-128 lifetime records.)  From a recruiting standpoint, offering the Washington Generals of CIAU basketball hardly seems the image we want to portray.

Personnally, I'd scrap the CF (read Reg Force) sports program and re-invest those funds in gym and recreation facilities - a more broad based approach.

On the other hand, right now they're in the middle of their greatest winning streak of all time - so perhaps it's just how you spin the story...

Its important to keep these teams going.  I think teamwork is the main fundamental to be taken away from this.  Lets also not forget that, university life at RMC is a much rougher go then civy street.  Teams like this are probably a good way to save a little sanity for some of the students.

dapaterson

I guess its safe to assume you never played sports as a kid because after all what could teamwork, initiative, physical fitness, coordination or morale have anything to do with life in the military.

rampage800 said:
dapaterson

I guess its safe to assume you never played sports as a kid because after all what could teamwork, initiative, physical fitness, coordination or morale have anything to do with life in the military.

Glad you are so insightful.  And wrong.

As I said:  Why not intramurals?  Why not reinvest the funds spent on CIAU teams (and some other parts of the sports program) to provide better gym and rec facilities across the CF?

And don't try the "poor old RMC students" line - that dog don't hunt.  Who has it harder over the course of their degree - DEO paying their own way vs RMC?

dapaterson said:
As I said:  Why not intramurals?  Why not reinvest the funds spent on CIAU teams (and some other parts of the sports program) to provide better gym and rec facilities across the CF?

Intramurals are much different.  Personally, I didn't think there was nearly as much competition and team spirit as in a real sports team.

dapaterson said:
And don't try the "poor old RMC students" line - that dog don't hunt.  Who has it harder over the course of their degree - DEO paying their own way vs RMC?

Meh, I have never experienced DEO, however, many get grants and bursaries (especially athletes), so I'd say that for someone in a sports team, the RMC kid has it much harder than the DEO kid.

We should scrap sports because they don't meet your lofty expectations or ?

The CF pays for this sports team why again?

Funny how you didn't mention only CIAU before

Personnally, I'd scrap the CF (read Reg Force) sports program and re-invest those funds in gym and recreation facilities - a more broad based approach

If you don't like sports than thats fine but to can them to have a nicer running track which coincidentally enough will have almost all the same people that you see on the sports teams and a few others is pretty narrow minded I would think. Not everybody is ready to play "rec" once they join the CF.

Navy gets their arses kicked just about every year by Notre Dame in NCAA Football yet they keep coming back.

Notre Dame won 43 consecutive games against Navy, the longest such streak in Division 1-A football.

This streak ended on November 3, 2007, when Navy beat Notre Dame 46–44 in triple overtime.

Good stuff, I says.

Point is, not everyone is focused on "winning" because, in sport, what exactly is "winning" sometimes?

Edited to add: The armed services schools have had some very good athletes go through them. Maybe a separate thread.

dapaterson said:
Glad you are so insightful.  And wrong.

I was not refering to financial hardship in any way shape or form.  More the constant cockwagon that one gets as compared to a civy university.

I will try to keep this simple.

The CF exists to project force at the will of the government.  Enablers in the CF exist to ensure that, when called, the CF is ready.

Widespread fitness facilities exist for CF mebmers to ensure their physical fitness, and is something that should be supported and encouraged and resourced as a erquirement of military readiness.

Playing university basketball, sending biathletes to Europe for training or competitions, or other CISM or CIAU activites do not map well against the CF mandate.  Those resoruces can be much better applied to other parts of the defence program.

dapaterson said:
Playing university basketball, sending biathletes to Europe for training or competitions, or other CISM or CIAU activites do not map well against the CF mandate.  Those resoruces can be much better applied to other parts of the defence program.

Out of curiosity, what is the true mandate of the Canadian Government?  We've been sending athletes to the Olympics for years, and, comparatively speaking, our winning streak is pretty low.  Should we instead pass the torch off to Private Industry, or personal financing for those athletes that can't win?  (Should note, this is actually sort of happening with the Own the Podium stuff).

People need role models too.  Doesn't it foster esprit-de-corps, morale and dedication to the Forces community when CF members see one of their own  simply competing in a prestigious competition where entry alone is a feat?

There must be balance between the two positions.

Bruce Monkhouse said:

“It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required”  - Sir Winston Churchill

That being said, from a taxpayer's perspective, I wouldn't want my money paying for a team that is 1-128. RMC has some very physically fit Cadets. So why don't we have a track and field team? Or even a football team! We'd be guaranteed to at least beat U of T!  ;D

Back