• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RIP George Carlin 1937-2008

Jorkapp

Inactive
Reaction score
Edgy comic George Carlin dies at 71

Article Link

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs, dirty words and the demise of humanity, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart and drug-dependency problems, died at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material developed over 50 years, the bald, bearded Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine called "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television." A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of the routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

More at article link...

Quite a sad day for the world of comedy.

Damn, he was one of the few comedians who could always make me laugh. Brilliant social satirist. RIP George.

I remember first hearing an excerpt from one of his albums on late night radio in the early 70s.  I guess there are still words that can't be used.  Therefore - one! three! five six!  Two and seven (and seven, the friendly word, should never have been there) have passed into more everyday semi-acceptable use; however, they and four don't apply to this circumstance.

Back