• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rick Mercer Fights Back!

MarkOttawa said:
Baden Guy:

I would be willing to bet $10,000 that the Golfperson has heard of the Battle of Stalingrad, but not of Kursk.  If one said "Unternehmens Zitadelle" (OK, "Operation Citadel") to her I am certain one would draw a complete blank.  "Conversant"?  No, just not educated.  And by her own choice.

Mark
Ottawa

To be fair Mark that is out of her lane. She’s a self declared SME on Feminism, English Lit and Film Studies not Conflict Studies, military History or even Soviet History.

Memorial BTW does, or at least did have a reasonable good Military history program. They set it up in the late 1980’s.

However going back to the original topic. I hereby now declare myself to be the self appointed army.ca SME on Feminist Cinematography. My  credentials in that regard are at least as valid as Professor Golfman’s are on the current conflict in Afghanistan.

In accordance with the Fair Dealings Act, this is the letter that Noreen Goffman wrote to The Independent, as passed around with many of Rick Mercer's reply in emails that are crossing the country:

Blowing in the wind . . .

Between mouthfuls of fruitcake and blissful stretches of catch-up sleep, you
couldn't ignore the war (oh, sorry, is that peaceful restoration work?) in
Afghanistan during the holiday season if you tried. On the one hand, you
were given license to let go and savour slow food, idle afternoons, and the
constant pleasure of friends and family-in other words, fully appreciate the
privileges of life in the West; on the other hand, you were constantly
reminded of Our Boys our on patrol, eating reconstituted turkey in the
Afghan desert-in other words, invited to feel guilty for not chowing down
sand and fighting the war on terror.
Every time you opened a newspaper or listened to the news, especially on the
CBC, you were compelled to reach for the box of tissues. If it wasn't a
story about some poor sod's legs being blown off then it was an extended
interview with some dead soldier's parents. Indulging in another bite of
dark chocolate was meant to be more painful this year. Here, have a plate of
guilt with your second helping, my dear, and pass the self-reproach.
Amidst all the cranked up sentimentality and the daily barrage of stories
from the likes of reporter Christy 'one of the boys' Blatchford or Peter
'not exactly on the front lines' Mansbridge, The Globe and Mail's television
columnist, John Doyle, dared to question the nature of the coverage. Doyle
openly wondered, as is his right and responsibility, what in the world the
public broadcaster was doing, let alone his own privately owned newspaper,
devoting so much mawkish attention to the Canadian troops?
It's one thing to pay full respect to the men (and some women) who have
chosen a life in uniform and are therefore more or less voluntarily enduring
punishing conditions, risking their lives many thousands of miles away from
the comforts of home.
It is another to report on their presence in that unfamiliar place without
so much as a hint that they don't belong there, that the campaign to restore
order and keep the Taliban from returning to power might be doomed, that
blood is obviously begetting blood and that Canadians, and especially the
Newfoundlanders who comprise such a disproportionate percentage of the
overseas troops (compare with the number of African-Americans fighting in
the doomed project of Viet Nam), are destined to return in body bags.
Shouldn't we-the media, our public intellectual, citizens in general-at
least be questioning, not merely glorifying or going sloppy over this fact?
Any time anyone questions the coverage, as Doyle did and as this column is
venturing to do, you can practically hear the rage mounting in the neck
veins of the military huggers. Peter Mansbridge threw a public hissy fit,
obviously protesting too much. And Doyle told his readers that he'd been
receiving some pretty nasty hate mail after his columns in December, not
surprising, really, when you consider how defensive people are about the
troops. I expect I'll get some ugly stuff, too. It is a trite irony that you
are chastised for daring to question the purpose of the military mission
when that very mission is allegedly about restoring democracy and freedom of
speech.
Which leads me to kick at another sacred cow--that is, Rick Mercer and that
whole lot of star Newfoundlanders who went over to entertain Our Boys (and
Girls) over Christmas, reportedly flown to unmarked destinations and,
presumably, forced to share some dehydrated food and wear really ugly
clothing for a few days.
What in the world is going on? Where are the protest songs of yesteryear? I
guess, when General Rick 'MUN Graduate' Hiller invites you to come along and
share the joy ride you have to join up faster than you can say 'Bob Hope is
dead.' Reading Mercer's widely circulated piece on the joys of serving gravy
to the grateful Canadian boys was almost as painful as watching Peter McKay
flirt with Condoleezza 'Condee' Rice.
Just when did the worm turn? When was it suddenly acceptable for your garden
variety progressive, satire-loving celebrity to hug the troops, praise
military actions, and pass the ammunition without so much as a hint of
dissent or any questioning of the value of the mission, not to mention its
obviously USA-linked agenda? Can you imagine popular talk show host Jon
Stewart flying overseas over for a few feel-good shows in Iraq?
What looking-glass world have Rick and his talented cronies walked into?
Inevitably, in the United States the right-wing White House mongers who
first encouraged the post 9/11 invasion of Iraq are now retreating faster
than a camel in heat. It's taken an awfully long time and thousands of body
bags, but public opinion is finally forcing an undignified about face. The
buzzword for 2007 is 'exit strategy.'
But not here, not if you listen to Stephen Harper, not if you are getting
all warm and fuzzy about how meaningful it is to stand in line waiting for a
double double at the Tim Horton's shop in Kandahar, not if Christy
Blanchard's columns make you cry, and you want to make Rick Mercer and his
buddies honourary soldiers.
It is really hard to see how the road to open debate, let alone peace, can
be paved with military offensives and the song and laugh shows of
Newfoundland talent, and there is something deeply disturbing about the
unquestioning belief that it can.

Danjanou said:
However going back to the original topic. I hereby now declare myself to be the self appointed army.ca SME on Feminist Cinematography. My  credentials in that regard are at least as valid as Professor Golfman’s are on the current conflict in Afghanistan.

Damn I just checked my CV with 57 odd movie reviews written and published plus whatever academic papers I churned out at MUN technically I am an SME. :-[

niner domestic: For a broader, if self-serving, perspective, how about "Verlorene Siege" (in translation of course, as I read it).

Mark
Ottawa

I find it rather interesting that she is reportedly upset that Rick Mercer's reply slams her directly.  In reading this letter, she not only slams Rick Mercer, but several other prominent people in the entertainment and political fields.  Surely she must have some clue as to what kind of response she should receive if she spews forth comments like she has about people.  I am sure they just as equally feel slighted and it seems to have caught her completely off guard that one would so eloquently put her down.

Danjanou:  You can only claim that if you read Antonia Lant, Laura Mulvey and Kaja Silverman...LOL

Mark: von Manstein's bucher?

scas said:
In regards to who Rick is Honorary of it is 423 Sea King Squardron

Cool thanks for the answer.  I don't want to waste my time writing a email to this so called Professor.  It is sad that I a young man should have more knowledge of the realities of this world than a woman who has apparently spent her whole life educating herself and others.  I will however, gladly, nominate Rick for an Order of Canada.  If he wins then I'll be sure to be on that tasking to stand proud in Rideau Hall to see him accept it.

niner domestic said:
Danjanou:  You can only claim that if you read Antonia Lant, Laura Mulvey and Kaja Silverman...LOL

I have, remember I took English Lit/Film course at MUN.  Besides I like to get in touch with my inner feminist  ;D

George Wallace: "The Ivory Tower" (which, in this case, is clearly not a citadel).  ;)

Mark
Ottawa

Wolfe117:  "It is sad that I a young man should have more knowledge of the realities of this world than a woman who has apparently spent her whole life educating herself and others. "

It's sad that we have so-called "academics" like this teaching in Canadian universities.  Many, like her, are total flakes who have nothing more to show than framed credentials on a wall, and a few writings in obscure journals that no one in a supermarket line-up would read.  Having spent their entire adult lives in university, they have no true-life experience in the real world - yet they spout their academic views on the world through newspapers and media.  Well someone took notice (Rick Mercer), and now she's all offended.  How pathetic for her. 

an excerpt of what i have sent to Rick Mercier

As a ex infanteer 17 yrs ex Patricia i know many ppl deployed right now .I know far too many names that have been added to the book of rememberance , and the names on the new monuments . I know far to many of them and its support like yours that makes it more worthwhile when we polish our boots,and cap badges dust off our berets. and form up for a slow march to see our comrades off for the final time.

It's sad that we have so-called "academics" like this teaching in Canadian universities.  Many, like her, are total flakes who have nothing more to show than framed credentials on a wall, and a few writings in obscure journals that no one in a supermarket line-up would read.  Having spent their entire adult lives in university, they have no true-life experience in the real world - yet they spout their academic views on the world through newspapers and media.  Well someone took notice (Rick Mercer), and now she's all offended.  How pathetic for her.

Good post Josh.
It's funny how quickly she was ruthlessly hurt by Ricks horrible horrible comments.
Reminds me of the new recruits (and fourm posters) who get offended by the slightest comment and scream racisim and personal attack expecting it to scare everyone into some sort of submission.

Well since Ms Golfman is highly unlike to appear on this forum, allow me to play devil's advocate. In order to call this a debate at least one of the 140+ posts should be a dissenting post.

You state that Ms Golfman does not posses the credentials to form an opinion on the issue of the Mission in Afghanistan, but what are Rick Mercer's credentials? Does he hold an advanced degree in International Conflict Analysis or Central Asian Studies? or is it we tend to agree with him on this issue so we are much willing to accept his views
If we were only able to speak to our specific areas of expertise, then not many of us would have much to say.

Ready Aye Ready said:
Well since Ms Golfman is highly unlike to appear on this forum, allow me to play devil's advocate. In order to call this a debate at least one of the 140+ posts should be a dissenting post.

You state that Ms Golfman does not posses the credentials to form an opinion on the issue of the Mission in Afghanistan, but what are Rick Mercer's credentials? Does he hold an advanced degree in International Conflict Analysis or Central Asian Studies? or is it we tend to agree with him on this issue so we are much willing to
If we were only able to speak to our specific areas of expertise, then not many of us would have much to say.

Yes but one expects a person to take the time, especially an academic, to become informed on the topic they have chosen to express an opinion on.
Looks to me like Ms Golfman couldn't bother, or found it "to distasteful" to read up on military matters.

Ready Aye Ready said:
You state that Ms Golfman does not posses the credentials to form an opinion on the issue of the Mission in Afghanistan, but what are Rick Mercer's credentials? Does he hold an advanced degree in International Conflict Analysis or Central Asian Studies? or is it we tend to agree with him on this issue so we are much willing to accept his views

I don't know.....Could it be that he as actually been over there to witness what is going on, to a small extent?.....More than once.   Could it be that he makes a living doing Political Satire?  Could it be that he has taken an interest in the CF and done some research into what the men and women do in the CF?  

Does one have to have some sort of Advanced Degree in some strange Field to be an expert?  Does one need a piece of paper, with a nice little stamp embossed on it, framed and hanging on the wall with several other pieces of paper of similar nature, to be an expert?  That would be like saying that all officers require Degrees, and as they have a Degree, they are automatically Leaders.   ::)

I would say that Rick Mercer has more relevant credentials than Noreen Golfman if it came to that point of a discussion.

Ready Aye Ready said:
You state that Ms Golfman does not posses the credentials to form an opinion on the issue of the Mission in Afghanistan, but what are Rick Mercer's credentials? Does he hold an advanced degree in International Conflict Analysis or Central Asian Studies?

I'll take the word of those who have been on the ground over either of them, and since it seems the majority of those who are/ have been on the ground agree she is out to lunch, well.........

"International Conflict Analysis or Central Asian Studies"
Yup, that degree and $2 will get you a cup of coffee in this rapidly evolving world warfare.

Quote from Ms. Golfman,
"It is really hard to see how the road to open debate, let alone peace, can
be paved with military offensives"

My nephew is in Grade 9, and writes on history with a better understanding than that drivel......

Ready Aye Ready said:

Agreed, Ready Aye Ready; it is, I suppose, the nature of there Internet fora to become unreasonably polarized.  Most Army.ca members are close to the Afghanistan mission and the people involved – much closer than ordinary Canadians.  So, oddly enough, is Prof. Golfman – she just comes at it from another angle, 180º out of phase with ours.  She speaks for a substantial minority of Canadians who are just as locked into their knee-jerk anti-American, Trudeauist- isolationist mindset as most Army.ca posters are into theirs.

Rick Mercer is, indeed, a major cheer-leader for the men and women in the Canadian Forces.  His support for the people in uniform doubtless transcends any and all doubts he may have about the wisdom or even utility of Canadian foreign and defence policies and actions.

Prof. Golfman has neither connections with nor any felling for the people in Afghanistan – Afghan women, Canadian soldiers, makes no never-mind.  She is a cheer-leader for a specific socio-political POV and her support for those ideas transcends any sympathy she might, normally, feel for some poor sod who lost his legs or for a grieving mother.

She’s entitled to her opinions – making sure she’s free to express them is why there were/are so many grieving mothers.  Rick Mercer, having been singled out in her little diatribe, was entitled to respond; he did.  Neither added much to the debate about why we are in Afghanistan and when/how we should leave.

I don't see what Ms. Golfman could have informed herself on as her Op/Ed presented no facts or serious critical analysis of the political/military situation in Afghanistan. Her point was to criticize the coverage of the Afghanistan Mission in the Canadian Press, which is within her right in a editorial. Why she chose to include condescending remarks about the troops themselves, I don't know. But I would hazard a guess that she confused being controversial with being intelligent. He statement comparing Blacks in Vietnam with Noofs in Afghanistan proves that, while I have no doubt Ms. Golfman is intelligent, her analysis in this piece is not. The US army in Vietnam was a conscript army that imposed draft rules that unfairly conscripted from from poorer segments of the population (often minorities). The all-volunteer western armies of today recruiting disparities are largely based on economic realities.      

Ready Aye Ready said:

One does not have to be an expert on something to have an opinion on it, even if that person has a public platform from which to speak that opinion (hell I was over in Kandahar Jan 06 to Aug 06 and I certainly don't consider myself an expert on that conflict) but one SHOULD at least make themselves somewhat knowledgeable on the topic before using their public platform to express there opinion so particularly if they plan on mentioning other people (ie:Rick) who have public platforms in their opinion, that would avoid those people from using their platforms to rebuttal yours and make you look like a foolish A**.  

That's just my 2 cents but what do I know, other then the military her credentials far outway mine  :)

Ready Aye Ready said:
I don't see what Ms. Golfman could have informed herself on as her Op/Ed presented no facts or serious critical analysis of the political/military situation in Afghanistan. Her point was to criticize the coverage of the Afghanistan Mission in the Canadian Press, which is within her right in a editorial. Why she chose to include condescending remarks about the troops themselves, I don't know. But I would hazard a guess that she confused being controversial with being intelligent. He statement comparing Blacks in Vietnam with Noofs in Afghanistan proves that, while I have no doubt Ms. Golfman is intelligent, her analysis in this piece is not. The US army in Vietnam was a conscript army that imposed draft rules that unfairly conscripted from from poorer segments of the population (often minorities). The all-volunteer western armies of today recruiting disparities are largely based on economic realities.      

Did you loose your train of thought there?  You lost mine. 

Back