• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Revolutionizing Fortified Structures?

BadgerTrapper

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHVKFCoYFc&feature=player_embedded

So, the video pretty much speaks for itself. What are your opinions on this technology? Practical? Downright cool? Personally, this rocks my socks.

So it's a tent.
You can stack HESCO Bastion or something similar around it.
You can do medical stuff in it.
It has insulating properties.

Other tentage can do this and don't take 24 hours to set up.

Only major advantage looks like the fire resistance.

AmmoTech90 said:
So it's a tent.
You can stack HESCO Bastion or something similar around it.
You can do medical stuff in it.
It has insulating properties.

Other tentage can do this and don't take 24 hours to set up.

Only major advantage looks like the fire resistance.
It also starts at about 25k a piece, without volume discounts.

DRASH shelters will run you about the same price. Though are "reusable".

I like how it's concrete. If built around proper, it can be camoed as a hill. In war-time, higher resistance against artillery.

Concrete that thick will provide very little ballistic protection.

AmmoTech90 said:
Concrete that thick will provide very little ballistic protection.

Against mortars or artillery, but against small arms it would help....

Durability vs immobility    it's a tradeoff, but might be desirable in some situations

I see more of a use for something like this in relief camps, etc. 

edited to add:      great idea for an instant cabin by that lake you moved to, to while away the rest of your days, fishing, etc..... ;D

The pictures when everything was all white simply reminded me of a zombie movie, interesting looking device :D

This sounds more like something that can be sent to disaster areas like Haiti or Japan to provide quick "prefab" shelters for displaced people. For military use, being able to set up and take down would be much more of an advantage

Thucydides said:
This sounds more like something that can be sent to disaster areas like Haiti or Japan to provide quick "prefab" shelters for displaced people. For military use, being able to set up and take down would be much more of an advantage

I see some potential, maybe they can make a lead lined model?

Would kind of kill the transportability and ability to fold wouldn't it?

a Sig Op said:

Couple layers of lead foil would do the trick. Wouldn't keep out high levels of radiation, but it would be enough to keep out some.

EDIT: Or you could throw a really big Demron blanket over the top of it.

If you are talking resistance for a minor nuclear incident like a reactor leak, piling dirt is probably a better solution. In the case of a nuclear device, if you are close enough to ground zero to be concerned about radiation, blast and thermal, especially the former, are probably much more of a threat. I am grossly out of date, but one of my old qualifications was tactical nuclear weapons employment. Yes, there is a lot I don't like to remember about the real dark days of the Cold War.

The thin concrete shell would collapse under the shockwave of a nearby nuclear strike (if the material wasn't already compromised by the thermal pulse. You would have to pile a lot of earth over top of it to act in any way as a nuclear shelter; and the 24 hour cure time makies it a non starter if you need to get into shelter in a hurry (although the concrete will dry rather abruptly under the thermal pulse).

Over all, while it is indeed really cool, it is more of a solution looking for a problem than anything else. If you need to make quick, cheap semi permanent shelters for refugees or similar use I'd give this consideration, otherwise something like this may be more useful.

a Sig Op said:

Can't fold?! What would infantry privates ever do instead of regular mod-folding parties?  ::)

GhostofJacK said:
Can't fold?! What would infantry privates ever do instead of regular mod-folding parties?  ::)

Paint rocks.  ;D

Not totally sure, but could a zombie chew through that?, I suppose if it got filled over and a brain-scent-filter were installed, it could certainly be a useful inner-city-backyard hideout. 8)

Having such a hideout in your backyard in a city would greatly limit your ability to evacuate said area. Don't forget the all important need to be able to bug out at any point. Inner cities may contain a large concentration of zombies, which would greatly complicate easy movement in and out of such hideout (lets say to gather supplies). Perhaps having such structure in a highly defendable location far away from major populated areas could be contemplated.  :nod: Unless you wish to be a zombie snack of course.

Also, something else to consider is the cumulative "dead" weight of zombies should they try to scale your "fortress". I believe some stress tests should be conducted prior to purchasing such a structure. It may be chew safe, but may not be collapsable-safe with hundreds of zombies trampling it.

My husband is going to laugh at me for posting about zombies. But what can I say, to each his own obsession... :-[

Back