• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Review of CF Infantry Weapons in Afghanistan

scm77

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.sfu.ca/casr/id-macpher-1.htm

Review of the weapons used by the infantry in Afghanistan , written by Captain Dale MacPherson 2IC of B Coy 1PPCLI.

Anyone agree/disagree with the Captains opinions and reccomendations?

I give full points to Capt MacPherson simply for writing this article.

The idea of having a snap-on iron/plastic "backup" sight appeals to me, especially after one experience I had when my Elcan broke on the range ... (i.e. I'd hate to have had that happen in the field ... under fire ... gulp).

I certainly also echo his comments about the usefulness of pistols.

As for the rest of it, I've got my personal opinions (which largely are supportive) however I was CIMIC in Kabul and therefore didn't have hands-on with too many other wpns systems ... so I'll refrain from being JAR.

I see "KevinB" all over this article.  ;D

Patrol Troop 3 Commando Brigade RM, the SBS and that other lot...the SAS all use the Canadian C7 as opposed to the US manufactured M16.   They find it superior.   We use our own optics when used though.  I hope that they adopt the 'A2 changes including the short barrel.   Good article!

And WHO's weapon pic is featured  ;D

C8SFW (which he called the C7A2 with short bbl  ::) ) my own personal surefire light my own EOTECH - oh and my own personal LMT rear BIS...

If I did not know better I might think someone condenced my UCR's into an article.  :-X

Hmm, KevinB makes the paper yet again, just wait until he takes up mud wrestling too.

C8SFW (which he called the C7A2 with short bbl  Roll Eyes ) my own personal surefire light my own EOTECH - oh and my own personal LMT rear BIS...

So, is every soldier IN FACT issued a surefire and a good BIS? Or do they only go to old CFLs who complain about everything? ;D You're not instilling much confidence in the Captain's credibility here.

The utility of  suppressed systems was  proven  in Afghanistan with the C7CT silenced rifle (right). ...Supressors should be purchased en masse at once.

Hmm... Indeed.

Actually Capt Mac listened very well to the troops.

His point in the paper are what we brought forward. 

We had a few issued EOTECH's (not enough) and the issue BIS was the Diemaco plastic one (which is not bad - but not somethign I personally woudl trust my life on).

The IR laser, MNVG and Suppressor isssue is bang on and something ever soldier needs.

How much training in Canada did you get with the night and thermal sights?  Also did you get to use the surpressors in Canada and when would they be used in operations?  How does ower use of supressor rank with the Americans ie are they employing them as well etc.

We didn't see the thermal until we were overseas.  Even then there was only one or two, so only a few people were up to speed on it.  Nice piece of kit from what I saw on my brief time with it.  As for the IR Laser (PAQ-4) and the MNVGs, we had them during work-up and the troops got to work with them.  The only problem was the lack of range time with them.  Most of the guys in my Pl were fairly well versed in their useage having used them previously overseas, but for some of the new guys they just didn't get a chance to use them enough till we got overseas.

The suppressors were only on the C7CTs, and since we never had one in the Pl I'll defer that question to Kev.

I read the article and found it very interesting.

The C9A2 and the C7A2 look like good peices of kit. I was reading some where, two clowns worrying about how to perform drill movements with the new C7.

Shake my head and laugh. We shouldn't let drill and ceremony dictate how we perform ops and what kit we get !!!

We shouldn't let drill and ceremony dictate how we perform ops and what kit we get !!!

I don't think we would.  All that stuff can come off anyway (scopes, lights etc).

CFL, I wish I rembered what thread I had that in. It was a guy with an MP insignia on his screen name and I think the other guy was like logistics or maybe sigs, I can't remember.

Anyways of all the concerns these two had, they were worried about how to perform drill with the new rifle (LOL).

This is the thread your talking about...

http://army.ca/forums/threads/23489.0.html

Back