• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Return of NDI 75: Veteran Service Card [Merged]

I don't believe you are entitled to anything beyond your certificate.

8141chuck said:
I served in the canadian military for  only 3 years. Are there any card besides the NDI 75, or CF 75  which require 10 years of service to get that i qualify for.  My situation is with marine atlantic whom has a promotion on where they are giving a discount for military personel, veterans, etc. They are requiring both of these cards, and the vac card of which i have neither. I only have my certificate of service with the date i joined and the date of honorable release. Is there anyone out there that can help me out. Thanks, 8141 chuck.

According to Marine Atlantic you need at least one of the fol for the special fare:

Eligibility
For the purpose of this promotion Canadian Forces personnel are defined as active or retired members of the army, navy, air force or reserves.

An eligible individual must possess one of the following pieces of identification at the time of booking a reservation and must also present it at the time of travel:

• an identification card for the Department of National Defence (cards NDI 20, NDI 30, NDI 50, DND 2262);

• a Record of Service Card (NDI 75 or CF-75) or certificate of discharge (together with photo identification) for retired military; or

• a Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Benefit Card for veterans.

The Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2011 is designed to thank current and past members of our armed forces by providing them with a discount when travelling for personal reasons. Therefore, to qualify individuals must be travelling either in a personal vehicle or as walk-on customers. This discount is not provided in conjunction with other special fares such as group rates.

REF: Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2011

EDITED TO ADD:

Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare 2011

If you have questions related to the 2011 Canadian Forces Appreciation Fare, please contact:

Customer Relations
Tel:  1-800-897-2797
Email: customer_relations@marine-atlantic.ca

In addition to that.. I was wondering if anyone knew if members with less than 10 years service who are 3a, or 3b medical released - are they issued any sort of photo id  - in comparison to the CF 75? I was told in passing once that it was possible to be issued a CF 75 with less than 10 years service if you are  released under 3a, or 3b medical release, and were Reg F.

I have looked every where to support that information, but have had no luck. If anyone knows the answer please let me know!

8141chuck said:
I served in the canadian military for  only 3 years. Are there any card besides the NDI 75, or CF 75  which require 10 years of service to get that i qualify for.  My situation is with marine atlantic whom has a promotion on where they are giving a discount for military personel, veterans, etc. They are requiring both of these cards, and the vac card of which i have neither. I only have my certificate of service with the date i joined and the date of honorable release. Is there anyone out there that can help me out. Thanks, 8141 chuck.

Ask your local MFRC about the Military Family ID Card

8141chuck said:

I'm in a similar boat. As I understand the definition of veteran including any member who completed MOC training, I believe I qualify having served for a year following 3 years training and then on Supplementary Reserve for another 8 years or so.  However, NDI 75 is for 10 years of service, not including Supplementary. Were you able to find another form of card, 8141 chuck?

this may help for both your queries....reply #1: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/55981.0

snowball17 said:
In addition to that.. I was wondering if anyone knew if members with less than 10 years service who are 3a, or 3b medical released - are they issued any sort of photo id  - in comparison to the CF 75? I was told in passing once that it was possible to be issued a CF 75 with less than 10 years service if you are  released under 3a, or 3b medical release, and were Reg F.

I have looked every where to support that information, but have had no luck. If anyone knows the answer please let me know!

Yours too snowball:

ELIGIBILITY

5.    Effective 31 January 2000, forms CF 54 and CF 75 shall be issued
to a member who has completed 10 or more years service in any component
of the Canadian Forces (CF) or who, at the time of release, was entitled
to an immediate annuity.  The only exception is that these documents will
not be issued to members released under item 1 (misconduct) or 2
(unsatisfactory service).

same link as above.

I just spoke with  DMCARM-4
They informed me that you CAN use your certificate
of service as proof of your Military employment. It is
8x10 so carrying it around in your pocket wouldn't be advised.
You can request additional copies from DMCARM-4 in Ottawa.
1-866-240-6726.

I feel that any former member of the CAF who
received an honorable or medical discharge should in fact be entitled
to a NDI 75. Times have changed and the reasons for it initial use
are obsolete. Mr MacKay it's time you brought in legislation to reflect
the needs of today's solider as well as the others who have given service
of less than 10 years. Some of these veterans of WW1 WW2 Korea and other
battles. Many only had a few years service and they too are being exempted from the NDI 75 .

We deserve to be recognized for our service regardless of length !!

MommyB said:
Some of these veterans of WW1 WW2 Korea and other
battles.

No one, alive today and that is without a card is a WW1 veteran.

We deserve to be recognized for our service regardless of length

If you need a CF 75 to make you feel good about your service, you have much bigger issues. Lets start giving out the CD on BMQ graduation then, i'm sure people who leave the forces after a year deserve recognition too.

Apparently for ex service members, I am told one can obtain a "record of service" card that can be used for discounts etc. Does anyone have more information on this? Cheers and thanks! 

See here for the application.  You need to have more than 10 years service I believe.

whiskey601 said:
Does anyone have more information on this?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33531.0
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/100945.0
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/55981.0

So I had to renew my license, and while there I asked about Veteran's plates. The woman at the counter gave me an application form, and told me I would need to bring in my Veteran ID card. I told her I had never gotten one, and she said it was necessary. I called my case manager VAC and asked her and she said no such thing existed to her knowledge. The woman at Service Ontario was very insistent that there is a Veteran ID card with a picture, etc on it to prove I am a Vet and that she had seen one every time people came in. Anyone know what this is, or how I go about getting one?

Sythen said:
Anyone know what this is, or how I go about getting one?

This may help.

NDI 75 - Record of Service ID Card 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33531.0

She means the NDI 75 Record of Service card.  You only get one if you've served more than 10 years.  You don't need it for a veteran's plate.

All that's required to get a veteran's plate (in Ontario) is to follow the instructions at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/plates.shtml, and submit the form found on that page.  The form has to be sent over to the Legion first so they can get their $5 cut to verify you're a veteran.

They should have one ID that fits everyone.  Right now, if you have less then 10 years, all you get is a VAC Card, only if you have an injury and the 1 Card. Problem is they are not ID Cards, they only act as proof of service and in many cases, like for Shades of Green in Orlando, these cards, not even the ND 75 are not good enough and this comes from them.

bwatch said:
They should have one ID that fits everyone.  Right now, if you have less then 10 years, all you get is a VAC Card, only if you have an injury and the 1 Card. Problem is they are not ID Cards, they only act as proof of service and in many cases, like for Shades of Green in Orlando, these cards, not even the ND 75 are not good enough and this comes from them.

???

I am not sure what you are getting at.  Are you trying to say that there should only be one card, like this

bwatch said:

They are not good enough for them because:

"Military personnel of foreign nations and their family members when assigned or attached to a U.S. military unit or installation or on U.S. Travel Orders.

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/eligibility.htm

So it doesn't matter what card you have, you don't meet the above criteria and you don't get in. Their playground, their rules.

Back