• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservist transferring into Reg force in the future

JesseC

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and I just have a question that maybe someone can answer, and maybe your answer will help someone else as well. Some time in the future, not really soon, I will want to transfer from the army reserves into the reg force. No, my question isn't about how hard it will be or how long it will take. My question is: Do members of the reg force have the same respect towards former army reserve members as they do towards their peers who have been in the army reg force since the beginning? I ask this because my buddy told me that you basically get s*** on by other soldiers if they find out that you were in the reserves. Is this true? If it is, I was told that I should ask for my rank to be stripped before I transfer because it has something to do with authority. Any opinions?

JesseC said:
Hello, I am new here and I just have a question that maybe someone can answer, and maybe your answer will help someone else as well. Some time in the future, not really soon, I will want to transfer from the army reserves into the reg force. No, my question isn't about how hard it will be or how long it will take. My question is: Do members of the reg force have the same respect towards former army reserve members as they do towards their peers who have been in the army reg force since the beginning? I ask this because my buddy told me that you basically get s*** on by other soldiers if they find out that you were in the reserves. Is this true? If it is, I was told that I should ask for my rank to be stripped before I transfer because it has something to do with authority. Any opinions?

Some guys will crap on you. Some will not. Most - and those most worth paying any mind to - will wait and see how you prove yourself. The old cap badge will fade under the new one. If you suck you suck and you'll face the normal fate of those who bring little to the table. If you're good to go and demosntrate that consistently, that too will be recognized. I've seen it go both ways with friends and acquaintances of mine who've made that hop.

Most of the guys who get on with the res vs reg force nonsense aren't worth listening to, and usually don't have much time in, don't worry about them.

Be good at your job, aim to be the best, and don't be mouthy about it. You'll be fine.

I wasn't really worried about it at all, whether the guys had something to say about it or not. But what you two have responded to me with gives me a bit of relief. Thanks guys.

I would safely guess over 70% of the infantry soldiers I've spoken to in the regular force have been former reservists. From a year or two in the reserves to 14 year+  reserve sgts who transfer over.

By far the biggest "fucking reservists" types are the ex reservists who have transferred over because they were tired of reserve BS. And that's not to say they will harp on you for being a reservist but rather dislike the institution.

If you put in to go reg force the military will look at your shit and decide what rank they will place on you.

@JesseC
As a former reservists who's worked with a ton of RegF peers before CT"king over, I can promise you that as long as you do your job well no one will rag on you or give you bs. I know a ton of former mbrs from my battalion that went on to different RegF trades, and were all treated as equals.

Like ObedientiaZelum said, the guys who are surly about the reserves are the former reservists who got jerked around a lot.

Just don't try being Mr. Know-it-all trying to show off to everyone. Haha.

Out of curiosity,what trade are you and what are you considering.

@ClerkyType and @ObedientiaZelium

Thanks, your comments were very useful. (No sarcasm intended)
To answer your question ClerkyType, I am Infantry and I intend to stay Infantry when I apply for my transfer.

JesseC said:
@ClerkyType and @ObedientiaZelium

Thanks, your comments were very useful. (No sarcasm intended)
To answer your question ClerkyType, I am Infantry and I intend to stay Infantry when I apply for my transfer.

You should be fine then. Most of the guys that I know that did that were very welcomed.

Just a heads up for the time it takes to transfer. You will have to do a Component Transfer and it can take a long time depending on many factors. For example I have been waiting to Component Transfer to Marine Engineer for almost a year now. Others I know transferred to the Arty and it took them a grand total of three months. If you seek to transfer I would recommend putting in the transfer as soon as possible so your not stuck ready to go but having to wait for another two years. Best of luck.

ClerkyType said:
Like ObedientiaZelum said, the guys who are surly about the reserves are the former reservists who got jerked around a lot.

This, had an instructor on my Mod 6 who was definately this type.  He never mentioned it, but when he actually called the toorie on my balmoral a toorie instead of a pompom, it was a dead give away he was ex reservist (specifically probably from a highland or scottish unit, since everyone I have ever met in the CF calls it a pompom).

Eaglelord17 said:
Just a heads up for the time it takes to transfer. You will have to do a Component Transfer and it can take a long time depending on many factors. For example I have been waiting to Component Transfer to Marine Engineer for almost a year now. Others I know transferred to the Arty and it took them a grand total of three months. If you seek to transfer I would recommend putting in the transfer as soon as possible so your not stuck ready to go but having to wait for another two years. Best of luck.

Speed of CT depends on a large number of factors.  All things being equal, if you are qualified in trade and are staying in the same trade it will be faster than if you are not qualified in your desired Reg F trade.

Back