• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservist probed for 'racist activity' as police prepare for white pride rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Csdi0nfwQ

Video of CPS arresting an ARA member, only 2 people were arrested and both of them were ARA. Of course, the police were picking on them, because all ARA members are pillars of morality ::)

As TV said, as a species, we tend to pride ourselves and segregate ourselves based on the very things we are not supposed to discriminate by. The fact that a certain group suffered oppression for years in the past (and sadly still do sometimes today) is an absolute travesty that (at least in the case of the past) can't be changed. That said, when we have groups based on ethnicity or sexual orientation or gender, we are not moving forward as a country. We are further dividing ourselves in a way that for some reason we judge as acceptable. If we don't get rid of groups and unions and associations based on these discriminatory criteria, we are doomed to repeat history and we will never be able to get rid of the discrimination that is still too prevalent in our society. (N.B.: Too prevalent shall be defined as existent.)

nuclearzombies: Clearly they're pillars of morality. Isn't that what "f*** the police" signifies?  ::)

Legend said:
There is a big difference between a "white pride parade" and a "black pride parade". The values held by the opposing forces are different. CF members fight for freedom and equality regardless of race or ethnicity.
Your two statements here are diametrically opposed.  Please explain "White Pride" (eg: proud of your heritage as a white person, NOT pretending to advocate for pride in your heritage when all you do is spew hate) and "Black Pride" (eg: proud of your heritage as a black person, NOT pretending to advocate for pride in your heritage when all you do is spew hate).

Legend said:
"White pride parade" is terminology associated with neo-nazi ideology.

I'm definitely with TV on this one. There is no reason that one need be more inherently racist than the other. If one can't say "white pride parade" to talk about a pride with a genuine pride in one's heritage, what can they call it? Are we too say that because the person is white that they're not allowed to demonstrate such pride? Why can a white pride parade not express "freedom, equality, and fortitude?"

The problem is that people have too many preconceived notions on this matter. "White pride," despite the connotations, need not be any more inherently racist than "black pride." If we allow one group to do something, we have to allow other groups to do it or we are justifying racially biased behaviour, one of the very roots of discrimination.

For the record, I am not advocating for white pride parades, nor am I advocating for black pride parades. I am simply advocating for equity. My previous post here should make my overall viewpoint on these parades clear.

JMesh, we just saw a plethora of pride parades that involved REAL white culture, not for the sake of "being white."  It was called St Patrick's Day.  Then there's Oktoberfest, the Santa Claus parade, and who knows how many more?  These parades essentially celebrate white culture, from where they were born, and have been embraced by other colours throughout the years.

Saying that white people have A culture is a crock of stinky poop.  White people have MANY cultures.

There may be a Black History month, but we have to remember that those events look on the bad as well as the good.  Caribbanna?  Would that be considered Black Pride?  No.  That would be considered Caribbean pride.  I would say that Black Pride = Black Panthers, and where are they today?  Why?  Because they focused on the race instead of individual cultures.  People seem to prefer being referred to as a culture (Japanese, German, Afghan) then a race (Oriental, White, Semitic/Aryan).  Huh.  Go figure.

One word to answer that:

History

Maybe in two generations we will be able to use that terminology for what it means, and not what it represents. When I talk of equality, I do not mean in an economic sense or ethnic orientation. I mean having the ability to look at the world and the people that inhibit it, and have the rational to realize that no one is right. We are all following what are previous generation has passed down, or what information has been passed up in Academia. With the 6 major religions in today's world, who is to say one has more ground than the other. It all comes down to freedom for all. With a clash of civilizations approaching, and borders shrinking because of globalization, this is a concept we must inherit. As said before, Canada is a benchmark. We are leading the way.

This is my last post on this forum. This is not a matter of ideology. This is a matter of conduct within the CF and how it reflects its members.

Strike said:
JMesh, we just saw a plethora of pride parades that involved REAL white culture, not for the sake of "being white."  It was called St Patrick's Day.  Then there's Oktoberfest, the Santa Claus parade, and who knows how many more?  These parades essentially celebrate white culture, from where they were born, and have been embraced by other colours throughout the years.

Saying that white people have A culture is a crock of stinky poop.  White people have MANY cultures.

There may be a Black History month, but we have to remember that those events look on the bad as well as the good.  Caribbanna?  Would that be considered Black Pride?  No.  That would be considered Caribbean pride.  I would say that Black Pride = Black Panthers, and where are they today?  Why?  Because they focused on the race instead of individual cultures.  People seem to prefer being referred to as a culture (Japanese, German, Afghan) then a race (Oriental, White, Semitic/Aryan).  Huh.  Go figure.

I agree with what you're saying here. At the same time, black people too have many cultures, yet we still see parades that are called "black pride parades" which are for the sake of "being black." I do not object in the least to culturally based parades; rather I fully support them as a celebration of the many diverse histories and cultures that make up our country. Further, they give others insight into these cultures so that we might better understand each others' traditions and hopefully develop a greater respect for one another. I object to parades that have pride based on nothing other than race, from any side.

You're absolutely right on black history month in that it does focus on the negative aspects as well as the positive. There's no reason there couldn't be such a month for any race or culture, and indeed many do have it. If we look at history in both the positive and negative aspects, we serve to advance our species and our collective society.

JMesh said:
...yet we still see parades that are called "black pride parades" which are for the sake of "being black."

Really?  I've never heard of that before and I've lived in some pretty cultural cities.

JMesh said:
There's no reason there couldn't be such a month for any race or culture, and indeed many do have it. If we look at history in both the positive and negative aspects, we serve to advance our species and our collective society.

Before people ask why there isn't a "White History Month" take a second and think about who all the major players were in your grade school history classes.

Strike said:
Really?  I've never heard of that before and I've lived in some pretty cultural cities.

Before people ask why there isn't a "White History Month" take a second and think about who all the major players were in your grade school history classes.

As far as the black parade comment, I'd point to Joliet, Illinois as an example. Their annual Black Pride Parade and Picnic is to "promote positive aspects of the African American community." I looked into this parade a bit I've seen no binding point to suggest a specific culture. Other than race, I've found no binding links whatsoever.

As far as the white history month comment goes, you're absolutely right, and implying otherwise on that issue was not my intent (though on rereading I can certainly see how others might have construed this). My comment about looking at positive and negative aspects was meant towards history in general, not just the history of specific groups.

EDIT to add: http://www.unitycdc.org/blackpridejoliet.html A link to the Joliet Black Pride Festivities (including the aforementioned Black Pride of Joliet Parade)

Never heard of a "black pride parade".

I'm with Strike on this one. Well said!

Strike said:
I don't ask that question, but I don't buy that reasoning.  If there is a (insert ethnic or other group) pride event/month, then there is no reason why there can't be one for every group (ethnic or otherwise).

Yes, there is Saint Patrick's Day, which arose in North America as a response to anti-Irish bigotry, there are Gay pride marches, which arose out of anti-Gay bigotry, and the list goes on.  But if there is an event or whatever based on a race, then there is no reason whatsoever why there can't be one for any race.  Period.

I do have to ask, what, exactly, is a "cultural" city?  Or do you mean ethnically diverse?  Or do you mean "non-white"?  (I'm not trolling here, I'm just asking).

You see, for me, race doesn't matter.  But when I see racially focussed events (not cultural), I raise an eyebrow out of suspicion, because I think it's hypocritical to 'highlight' our differences, when I feel we ought to instead highlight our similarities and focus on those.  "Diversity" doesn't make us strong, but unity of effort and having common ground does, even if that common ground comes from different perspectives, be they cultural or otherwise.

My :2c:

Technoviking said:
I do have to ask, what, exactly, is a "cultural" city?  Or do you mean ethnically diverse?  Or do you mean "non-white"?  (I'm not trolling here, I'm just asking).

Oh I know you're not trolling.  Not to me anyway.  ;D

What I mean by "cultural" city is one that celebrates different cultures with various events like Oktoberfest or Caribbana, etc, or includes various enclaves (Little Italy, Chinatown) when advertising for tourism.

And I didn't infer that anyone believed that we should have a White History month, just that some might ask me why I believe we don't need one.  It was a matter of answering the question before it was asked.

Strike said:
And I didn't infer that anyone believed that we should have a White History month, just that some might ask me why I believe we don't need one.  It was a matter of answering the question before it was asked.

I would answer the question the same as you; however, I do ask "Why a Black History month?"  It divides us, highlighting our differences.  IMHO, anyway.

Please, please, please do not try to interchange or even interconnect race with culture. They are quite different.

There is no “white” culture; nor is there a “black” culture. Cultures are, broadly, tied to time and space and language. Thus, the Roman culture, which did exist, is not the same as the modern Italian culture, which is also sufficiently distinct from, say, the neighbouring Slovenian (Balkan), French or Austrian (German) cultures as to stand on its own as a distinct culture. Equally, there is no African culture, per se: too many tribes, too many languages; too little written language; too many barriers to contact and so on.

Some cultures, that part of the Sinic culture we call Confucianism, for example, cross linguistic boundaries, but most do not.

In my (fairly long and varied (I’ve lived and worked in North America, Europe, Africa and Asia)) experience there is nothing in race (skin colour, eye shape, etc) to make anyone special: there are, proportionately, just as many black geniuses as white, just as many Japanese charlatans as English ones and just as many entrepreneurial Fijians as Americans.

But, culture is wholly and completely different. Some cultures are very 'advanced,' (and yes, I know that's a very subjective judgement but it is my considered judgement and I am prepared to defend it in reasoned debate) others, for a whole host of reasons, are ‘retarded’ – delayed in their development, perhaps unable to develop in the 21st century. We are all prisoners of our cultures – weak or strong – but not of our skin colour or eye shape.

So, please: culture matters; race does not.

Strike said:
JMesh, we just saw a plethora of pride parades that involved REAL white culture, not for the sake of "being white." 

Really?  Maybe we should break down these false misconceptions;

Strike said:
It was called St Patrick's Day. 

A religious holiday, of the Catholic faith Celebrated throughout the Christian world for the festival it represented.  You know why?  By the oppression of the Roman empire, nothing to do with race.  We celebrated a Saint that brought Christianity to those that were oppressed by the Romans (Those that encompassed all races, as long as they were oppressed by Rome), and originally by the Norse (whites).

Strike said:
Then there's Oktoberfest,

Yes yes, let's focus on the last 100 years of global history, and blame an age old celebration on the fact of race.....Tell me Strike, did no other race celebrated the end of the summer and bountiful harvest that was achieved?

Strike said:
the Santa Claus parade,

A Christian celebration, dating back to pre Roman times.  Where race was not an issue.  We can debate the concept of western civilization, but, those of colour have been in prominent positions well in the Roman Empire, and the Catholic religion.

Strike said:
and who knows how many more?  These parades essentially celebrate white culture, from where they were born, and have been embraced by other colours throughout the years.

Amuse us, take the time and tell us what is "White" or Aryan" Centric?  More people of the Political Correct faction misinterpret what  a cause truly is, wouldn't you agree?

Strike said:

Yep, which is why I had to break down your ranting.

Strike said:

You lost me here, how is the above celebrations any different?

dileas

tess

48 - You completely argued my point, which is that we celebrate our culture.  Those examples are ones that are historically "white."  Which goes to my belief that we don't need a "White Pride" parade because "white" is not a culture, it's a race.

Silly, silly man.  ;)

I'm really getting sick of all these bullshit semantics.

The fact that we deploy all over the world, doing what we do, is all the explanation that is required here.

Quit trying to justify why you are Canadian, and just celebrate the fact that you are.

Everyone, today, makes it on their own merit. 99% of the time, if you end up on the street, driving a truck, or the Prime Minister, it has nothing to do with RACE. You make your own bed in this world and there are too may examples to try prove otherwise.

I refuse to be judged by the action of my ancestors. Or enter into ridiculous arguements why they did what they did. And I completely refuse to be responsible for their sins, IF they have any. They are not me.

Anyone here, that fully believes, that racism exists in a problematic proportion in the CF is an absolute nutter idiot and, quite possibly, a closet bigot themselves.

Raise John Brown's body or invoke the (i)lucid contemplations of Rodney King  ::). This thread has reached beyond stupidity and doesn't deserve to continue.

Strike said:
48 - You completely argued my point, which is that we celebrate our culture.  Those examples are ones that are historically "white."  Which goes to my belief that we don't need a "White Pride" parade because "white" is not a culture, it's a race.

Why do we need a Black History Month then? Shouldn't it be Carribean history month, and then an African history month, etc etc?

PuckChaser said:
Why do we need a Black History Month then? Shouldn't it be Carribean history month, and then an African history month, etc etc?

Because they followed all the proper procedures. They took petitions, they canvassed their MPs and MPPs, they crossed the T's and dotted the I's. they got support of Parliment and got it passed.

It's a fucking done deal!

Want a White History Month? Do the same damn thing. Just shut up and do it.

Is that about clear enough for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back