• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservist Pay for family day holiday

Do you think pay will be deposited early due to Family Day Mon 15 Feb 16

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Hanley613

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know if reservists will be getting paid this Friday instead of Monday the 15th (Family Day)? Because my pay clerk has no idea.

Thanks in advance!

Pay is electronic. I doubt the holiday will effect the deposit, unless the bank has its own policies. The CF pay run for 15 Feb should have been done by at least this past friday.

So I should expect to not get paid on Friday then? That's unfortunate for my current situation

I never get pay deposited on a Monday, it's always the Friday before unless you're bank has Saturday hours.

But both government and the banks are closed on Monday. Does this not make a difference?

PuckChaser said:
I never get pay deposited on a Monday, it's always the Friday before unless you're bank has Saturday hours.
So you think pay will be Friday then also?

The bank has to release the money at 0001 on the day it is to be paid. They get the money from DND on the working day before, but they're also not allowed to hold pay cheques over a weekend, so you get paid on Friday. The holiday doesn't matter because payday isn't Tuesday. It's more complicated for provincial holidays on Mondays.

Hanley613 said:
But both government and the banks are closed on Monday. Does this not make a difference?

Not true 100%.  Family Day is a "Provincial Holiday"; not a "National Holiday".  The Provincial Government may enjoy the holiday, but the Federal Government are all at work.

PuckChaser said:
The bank has to release the money at 0001 on the day it is to be paid. They get the money from DND on the working day before, but they're also not allowed to hold pay cheques over a weekend, so you get paid on Friday. The holiday doesn't matter because payday isn't Tuesday. It's more complicated for provincial holidays on Mondays.

Very helpful. Cheers. Happy We are getting paid Friday.

Hanley613 said:
Very helpful. Cheers. Happy We are getting paid Friday.

Unless your clerk was a Pte, they should absolutely know how this works.

Banks are federally regulated. Monday the 15th is not a federal holiday.  AFAIK pay deposits will be made for Monday 15 Feb, not earlier.

Hanley613 said:
I'm confused. Everyone has different answers.

Yes, but not all of them are right...

Family Day is a provincial holiday and is not recognized by the Federal Government.  The Federal Government (and by extension the CF) only recognizes ONE provincial holiday per province.  With the exception of Quebec, the recognized provincial holiday in each province is the first Monday in August (it goes by various names).  In Quebec, it's St-Jean Baptiste (24 juin).  For this reason, there is no reason for anyone to expect their pay to show up in their bank account prior to 0000 on 15 Feb 16.  However, this can be a bit of a crap shoot.  Since the banks do receive the money prior to pay day, they sometimes release it a little sooner than they're supposed to, but you can't expect this.

For the record, pay days in the CF are the 15th and last day of each month.  And yes, we're working an extra day this year...

Back