• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservist as a University student - few questions

Alright guys onto the dumb question;

I'm just going to show up at the Waterloo recruitment centre next week when I go back (in Toronto right now); do I need to bring anything with me?  Photo ID?  Diploma?

Because I need to grab it from home before I leave  ;D

to be honest usually you won't apply there on the spot , they will give you the paperwork and give you a list of things you will need to bring them back so you can apply ....

BUT .... having clothes on you is always a good thing , they have some kind of weird policy against nudist !!

krimynal said:
to be honest usually you won't apply there on the spot , they will give you the paperwork and give you a list of things you will need to bring them back so you can apply ....

BUT .... having clothes on you is always a good thing , they have some kind of weird policy against nudist !!

I figured, I just won't be back in Toronto for a few weeks so if there's anything of mine I need to bring, I probably need to bring it when I leave this time around.

Alright thanks man, I guess I gotta go buy some clothes now  :-[

yeah first time I went there I was rocking speedo with sunglasses .... thought it would help me get a job ..... seems like they are not into that that much !!!

but yeah , jokes aside , you can always bring everything .... usually they need birth cirtificate , all of your school diploma , they need the last 3 years of school sumary ( etc. ) ... I think that's about it !

krimynal said:
yeah first time I went there I was rocking speedo with sunglasses .... thought it would help me get a job ..... seems like they are not into that that much !!!

but yeah , jokes aside , you can always bring everything .... usually they need birth cirtificate , all of your school diploma , they need the last 3 years of school sumary ( etc. ) ... I think that's about it !

Awesome, I'll go prepare those; thanks again!

if you can just give them a call before you go , that way they will confirm everything you need to bring !

krimynal said:
if you can just give them a call before you go , that way they will confirm everything you need to bring !

I was hoping that, but there's no phone number listed.

Edit - Actually I'll give another recruiting centre a call!

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100

Read through the steps and prepare the paperwork accordingly.

The CFRC will not start your application until you meet with the unit to ensure that there is a position available for you pending successfully meeting requirements (at least most won't).

Step 1: Find a unit that interests you
Step 2: Attend one of their recruiting nights
Step 3: (If satisfied with unit) get letter of understanding from unit
Step 4: Attend CFRC and being application

Hey everyone, I'm 17 and in grade 12, i'm thinking of going to the recruiting office next week on the march break for the reserves. I want to join the Royal Regiment of Canada for infantry. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? Will it be hard to get into infantry for even just a reserve force? Also, what is issued to you when you first join up? Do you get the ICU's? Sorry for all the questions, just really curious and want to know all i need to know before going to the recruiting office! Have a great day everyone :)

All your questions can be answered there or by using the search function at the top of the page. When you go there for the first time act polite, but don't be shy. Show them that you actually want to be there and seem inquisitive. Don't act like a know-it-all. Other then that it's pretty much all common sense. Remember to use the search function. Hope it goes good, good luck!

I would suggest you visit the regiment first to get an idea of the kind of atmosphere you'll be working in. Give them a call and schedule an appointment with whoever is in charge of recruitment as that regiment (specifically) is the one that hires you, the recruitment offices "simply" makes sure you're fit for service via tests and what not. When I visited my regiment I actually got a letter from them to give to the recruitment office saying they have positions available.

I'm actually going through the application process right now so can't say a whole lot on experience in the Forces but my advice would be to start the application process ASAP if this is what you want to do. Don't worry too much about what you'll receive upon enrolment, the time will come, plus I've read around and it varies, depending on what is in stock and what not. The application process is kind of a "one step at a time thing" as appointments can be all in one fell swoop or lengthy waiting times in between. You never really know.

Best of luck with it!

Thank you all, I've begun my application process (for the 31 combat engineers.)

Hello,

I am interested in joining the army reserves but have a few general questions before I go and talk at an CFRC.

I am currently transferring between universities but should be back in school in the fall. At the moment, I have no work/school until then.
I would like to use this time (from now until September) to better myself and serve in the reserves (not to mention make some money for school).

1) If I was to apply right now, what would my spring and summer look like? (will I be able to complete my app process, do BMQ, etc...)

2) Can I do more than the weekends and nights? (I don't have school at the moment)

2) Depending on how my time pans about when school starts, will it be possible to suspend/quit the Reserves for a period of time?
(hopefully I can just continue doing it and balance school, but just in case)

3) If I live in Mississauga and get into a Toronto reserve, how and where do I have to commute? Will I need a car? (for training nights and weekends)

Thanks in advance.

First you need to think about just want you want to do as a member of the Reserve?  (ie; an occupation) 

Then you need to submit an online application and once that is done, then you need to contact a Reserve Unit in the Toronto area to see if they are hiring.

Don't put the cart before the horse.....

Click on the links for Navy, Army or Health Services Reserve to obtain contact info for your local units  --->  http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruitmentcentre-110

So until you decide what you want to do, until you apply, until you make contact with a Reserve Unit yourself, the rest of your questions can't be answered.

SwiftWolf said:
If I live in Mississauga and get into a Toronto reserve, how and where do I have to commute? Will I need a car?

This may be of interest to you, if transportation is a concern.

"The Toronto Scottish Regiment is an infantry regiment with companies in Etobicoke and Mississauga.":
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/32cbg_hq/units-unites/index-eng.asp#torscot

SwiftWolf said:
1) If I was to apply right now, what would my spring and summer look like? (will I be able to complete my app process, do BMQ, etc...)

2) Can I do more than the weekends and nights? (I don't have school at the moment)

2) Depending on how my time pans about when school starts, will it be possible to suspend/quit the Reserves for a period of time?
(hopefully I can just continue doing it and balance school, but just in case)

1)  If you apply now, chances are that there will not be any spots open on a basic training until the fall at the earliest.  I have heard of people lucking onto a full time summer BMQ, but those are very few and far between and not to be counted on.

2) Later on in your career (after BMQ), there are opportunities to work more often (depending on unit needs and requirements).  Most of the time it would be something along the lines of pre EX prep, or post EX cleaning.  There are also Class B contracts (full time reserve opportunities) other than courses your sent on, but you will be ineligible until you have finished BMQ and probably your BMQ(L) as well.

3) During your first year, you will most likely be doing BMQ every second weekend or so (friday night until sunday night), and it is critical that you do not miss any weekends.  Talk to the unit recruiter to see exactly the time commitment required.

Your best source of information will be the unit recruiter for which ever trade/regiment you want to join.

When joining a unit, how significant is the cultural background?

For example, if I join the Toronto Scottish Regiment, but I am not even close to Scottish, does it matter? (it is however, the closest regiment to me)

Back