• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservist as a University student - few questions

s54w

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently finishing up my first year in Computer Science, and I've been wanting to join the CF for awhile now.  Recently I've been looking into whether I can get into the Reserves and juggle that with University.

I'm currently in the co-op program, so I don't actually have summers off, as I read that many students like to do their BMQ and courses in the summer.

(I don't mind dropping the co-op portion to leave my summers free though.)

My main questions are:
- How long from when I start the application process will I be able to get in?  I'm looking to get started (and I mean BMQ) next summer (of 2014.)
- How will the schedule work for when it's not summer/when I'm at school?  I've tried to look around and I've been getting something among the lines of once a week, and then every other weekend.

My apologies if I misused any terminology, or if I asked questions that can be easily answered with some research.

Thanks for the help in advance!

a quick research on the site would of give you all the info

the application process is different for everybody , depending on when you apply , when the next available BMQ course will be open etc. etc. etc. ... sometimes you can do BMQ all in the same time over 1 summer , sometimes you do it by multiple weekends.

as long as the working goes , depending on your reserve unit you would be likely to work 1 night a week and 1 weekend per month .... usually your 1st year you will work pretty much all weekends to do qualifications , classes , etc. etc. etc.

http://forums.air-force.ca/forums/threads/109211/post-1205208.html#msg1205208

a forum I did 1 month ago

Where are you located? Are you wanting to go Officer or NCM? I'm a reservist currently on BMQ. There are some Officer Cadets on my course and from what I've gathered it was pretty difficult to get in vs getting in as an NCM.

From what I've heard and experienced, units in my area generally begin taking applications around March or April to start in September on a weekend BMQ, and then some will do another intake for a January weekend BMQ. With the following summer slotted for initial trade training. I know some do summer BMQs but I think they are more rare these days.

However, this is all completely dependant on where you live, what regiment you want to join, and whether it's officer or NCM.

krimynal said:
as long as the working goes , depending on your reserve unit you would be likely to work 1 night a week and 1 weekend per month .... usually your 1st year you will work pretty much all weekends to do qualifications , classes , etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, the info wasn't too consistent and I guess I was hoping maybe I'd get an up-to-date reply.

greenmachine said:
Where are you located? Are you wanting to go Officer or NCM? I'm a reservist currently on BMQ. There are some Officer Cadets on my course and from what I've gathered it was pretty difficult to get in vs getting in as an NCM.

From what I've heard and experienced, units in my area generally begin taking applications around March or April to start in September on a weekend BMQ, and then some will do another intake for a January weekend BMQ. With the following summer slotted for initial trade training. I know some do summer BMQs but I think they are more rare these days.

However, this is all completely dependant on where you live, what regiment you want to join, and whether it's officer or NCM.

Do I need a degree to go in as an officer?  I have no problem with either, and it sounds like as an NCM you get your ass kicked more (yay!)

A problem I *might* have is that I go to school in Waterloo (no units there, I believe.)  I have no problem going to Toronto on weekends, but I've heard there are weekday trainings and I have school Mon-Fri during study terms for sure.

Many thanks for the help, both of you!

to be an officer you have to have a degree OR trying to get one when you enrolled ...... They give you a time period in which you have to complete it.

to be 100% honest , I'm going back to school to do a degree , but I'm enrolling as a NCM , just because I think that the best officer are usually the ones that started as a simple private and work out a way to get into better position ....

but that's my opinion !

krimynal said:
to be an officer you have to have a degree OR trying to get one when you enrolled ...... They give you a time period in which you have to complete it.

to be 100% honest , I'm going back to school to do a degree , but I'm enrolling as a NCM , just because I think that the best officer are usually the ones that started as a simple private and work out a way to get into better position ....

but that's my opinion !

That's what I've heard from many other people as well, and part of the reason I'd probably pick to enrol as a NCM first too...hopefully I get my chance!

krimynal said:

but that's my opinion !

Reserve NCMs who are attending or done university are completely normal. A couple years back out of my section of I think 9 dudes, we had 25 or 26 years of university education between us. We currently have a PhD on BMQ as a private, and several guys in the ranks with master's degrees, and we're combat arms. I think I can safely say that the majority of the junior ranks mess in my regiment are currently university students. Granted, we'r ein a decent sized city.

but then again there some natural born leaders .... that will be AWESOME officer and never went as a private in the first place ....

I just think that .... like some officers that never started as private don't really care on how much some exercise or some drills might be a pain ... and when you was a NCM you saw that ..... also I personally think you can have a better brotherhood with your men when they know you were doing the same stuff they are doing now not so long ago .....

of course its Reserve VS Regular Force .... but anyways

Brihard said:
Reserve NCMs who are attending or done university are completely normal. A couple years back out of my section of I think 9 dudes, we had 25 or 26 years of university education between us. We currently have a PhD on BMQ as a private, and several guys in the ranks with master's degrees, and we're combat arms. I think I can safely say that the majority of the junior ranks mess in my regiment are currently university students. Granted, we'r ein a decent sized city.

I meant no disrespect whatsoever , I'm just saying for some that thinks about enrolling as an officer , I personally think it would be best if he had started as a NCM ..... but that's my personal opinion and I dont want to start a debate on that neither hahaha

s54w said:
Yeah, the info wasn't too consistent and I guess I was hoping maybe I'd get an up-to-date reply.

Do I need a degree to go in as an officer?  I have no problem with either, and it sounds like as an NCM you get your *** kicked more (yay!)

A problem I *might* have is that I go to school in Waterloo (no units there, I believe.)  I have no problem going to Toronto on weekends, but I've heard there are weekday trainings and I have school Mon-Fri during study terms for sure.

Many thanks for the help, both of you!

31 Combat Engineer has a Squadron in Waterloo. There is also the Royal Highland Fusiliers (RHFC) in Cambridge and Kitchener. Both very close. They are light infantry.

If you want to go NCM, get in touch with the units and find out if they will be accepting applications in the spring. You would be enrolled for September.  As far as Officer enrollment goes, I can't say much. I'm a Pte Recruit.  ;D

Also, you will most likely be on BMQ every other weekend from September to January. With training once on a week night aswell, as MOST regiments will have a recruit platoon. So far as your working schedule, it will look something like that until you finish basic.

Thanks so much, I will definitely look into that!

For the schedule too; I guess if I can get into a unit at Waterloo then weeknights should be no problem!

I work a full-time job which is shift work: 12 hour work days, 4-on 4-off rotation of 2 days 2 nights; also doing part-time university studies to achieve an end goal of a degree in Forensic Sciences and still find plenty of time to attend training and such with great support from my employer and my educator.

When and If you are in, there is the Canadian Forces Liaison Council website which has a number of useful tips and tools for Reservists in communicating CF-Employer relationship and building a better bond to achieve the time off for service and training that you need, as well as opening the employer's "eyes" to see how they would and will benefit from having a Reservist on their "roster" and much more.

PrairieThunder said:
I work a full-time job which is shift work: 12 hour work days, 4-on 4-off rotation of 2 days 2 nights; also doing part-time university studies to achieve an end goal of a degree in Forensic Sciences and still find plenty of time to attend training and such with great support from my employer and my educator.

When and If you are in, there is the Canadian Forces Liaison Council website which has a number of useful tips and tools for Reservists in communicating CF-Employer relationship and building a better bond to achieve the time off for service and training that you need, as well as opening the employer's "eyes" to see how they would and will benefit from having a Reservist on their "roster" and much more.

That's pretty impressive and inspiring; thanks for the info! 

I guess now is the time to applying!  Or maybe I should tell my parents first...

No I'll go talk to a recruiter first, that sounds easier  ;D

get all your stuff ready THEN speak with your parents , but bring facts and everything to the table , tell them your motivation , what you want to acheive as a final goal etc.

krimynal said:
get all your stuff ready THEN speak with your parents , but bring facts and everything to the table , tell them your motivation , what you want to acheive as a final goal etc.

That's the plan!  :D

Thanks, all of you!

s54w said:
That's pretty impressive and inspiring; thanks for the info! 

I guess now is the time to applying!  Or maybe I should tell my parents first...

No I'll go talk to a recruiter first, that sounds easier  ;D

Telling your parents about Reserves should be a lot easier than telling them about Reg Force. Trust me. :)

On another note, is anyone here serving in the 32 Combat Engineer Regiment? I'm considering getting involved.

Gunshark said:
Telling your parents about Reserves should be a lot easier than telling them about Reg Force. Trust me. :)

On another note, is anyone here serving in the 32 Combat Engineer Regiment? I'm considering getting involved.

If I was trying to tell them about Reg Force they'd probably kill me before I manage to apply.

hahahaha , like everybody said , just take your time to get all your paper right , and then talk to them , of course reserve might be easier since there is no contract involved and that you may leave whenever you want and deployments are on a voluntary basis

Back