• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve unit's roll WRT taskings

As leaders we must ensure that our soldiers realize that in the end the Army has the final say in weather or not they deploy; get a desired course or in which platoon / section they will serve.

I see, and I understand that. And although I can understand the unit's mentality, I also do think that it should be whoever's hosting the tasking that determines which soldiers are "qualified" for the position rather than the unit. I find it to be more impartial and unbiased that way.

Not everything appears on a member's MPRR.  There may well be compelling reasons for a parent unit to select one person over another, or to prioritize to ensure they will still be able to meet their other tasks while filling those from higher.

Particularly now, with significant numbers of Reservists deployed, training for deployment, and backfilling throughout the CF, unit COs have to be selective to ensure the continued viabiltiy of their units.  While it may be possible in some instances to push more pers out the door for a single task/mission/Roto, that sort of surge will likely not be sustainable - units will break and need reconsitution.  Indeed, were it not for Reservists augmenting deployed units and backfilling in Canada, we'd have broken the Regular Force several years ago.

There's a series of pressures imposed on units:  Force generate for operations; continue routine training; be prepared to force generate for itnernational operations; provide augmentation and backfill in stressed areas of the CF... the list goes on.  COs have to attempt to balance those pressures to the best of their ability.

Or, in very basic terms:  It's not all about you.  Get over it.

Hero

Do not forget that the Unit noms have to be vetted by brigade and higher. AND that the deploying unit will also have a say in the fitness of the pers to deploy. ( During the work up trg)

I understand your concerns and held the same ones myself for many years....I did mention that as an ISCC qualified CPL, and as a MCPL/ SGT /WO etc I waited for 18 years to get the chance to deploy.

Have you spoken to your Pl 2ic / CSM on the issue? I would highly recommend that you do.  Remember, merit lists are created from the bottom up; that is to say the Pls submit their Pl lists to the COY where they meld those together into the COY list. The same thing happens at the BN level.

Now it often happens that a soldier had been passed over for a nom because his immediate superiors were not communicating with each other or higher. IE: YOU may know that soldier X is a switched-on troop; but if you have not done your job ensuring that your sect comd is aware of X's desire to go on tour; then his name will not appear on the PL list or if it does, will not carry the correct amount of weighting at the COY and higher levels. ( Sorry, not preaching to you here, I do not know at what level of the COC your position is)

Even after the list comes back from BDE, there is usually time to amend it. Your RSM and CSMs should be reviewing the BDE list and, if required, taking action to correct any discrepancies. I know I had to on several occasions.

Cheers

SB

Thanks for t tip there Steel. I've already submitted a memo up the chain recommending the soldier in my section for the tasking. I'll have to follow up on it soon to make sure it did get passed up to the appropriate person though.

No worries Hero...

And do get ahold of yer Pl 2ic and talk to him / her or it. Remember that the Section has a voice at the PL level.

Forgotten_Hero said:
I find it to be more impartial and unbiased that way.

Stop kidding yourself. Soldiers would still bitch and whine that things were unfair no matter what level makes the selection. Maybe the CDS himself should pick the soldiers.

::)

Back