• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve QL2 & QL3 (the old basic traininig)

RCA...Aww, shucks :D and all this time I didn‘t think you cared!

As a matter of fact the G3 Tasks asked me if I wanted to go to Shilo to fill a Safety Offr task from 17 Jun until 25 Aug 01. While it was tempting (not!) my boss had other plans for me this summer. We are providing support for the 2001 World Track and Field Games in Edmonton and I will probably be in Halifax for a little over a week in August to take part in a Domestic Operations Exercise. Needless to say I will RV at your location sometime an hit you up for a frosty one. By the way, I was in Bordon last month and met up with Lt RB who was on her finance course (small world!).

For Gunner...

I‘m doing almost the same job as I‘ve been doing for the last couple of years in the office across the hall. It‘ll be good to see you again.

And the same **** is still happening!!!!!!!

The fact that a course is shorter means that instructors do not have time to correct disciplinary problems and follow-up on the correction. It means that there is not sufficient time for candidates to be introduced and adapted to the military lifestyle. It means that time on QL3 courses is lost to teaching or reteaching what should alraedy be known by all Army soldiers! It means that soldiers are arriving at their home units (after a QL3) not knowing how to dig a fire trench, fire a machine gun, or throw a grenade!

:cool: Yard Ape

At my unit the 16 day QL2 people came home knowing almost nothing. Some of them didn‘t know how to reassemble a rifle bolt. They had no idea how to do a right dress or even come to attention properly. Let alone fieldcraft. On CAC (the one week summer ex) we tried to teach them some of the stuff they missed.

I know that the engineers had to take booby traps and most of mine warfare (and some of bridging) of the 3‘s course in order to fit heavy weapons and grenades. People in support trades never get the heavy weapons training yet are still expected to pass MLOC.

Of all the reserve engineer QL3 courses run in Gagetown this summer, the one which graduated candidates of the highest standard was the one which took all of its candidates form the block QL2 course. They started the course more prepared than candidates who had graduated a weekend QL2 course.

On a seperate note, there were candidates who voluntarily withdrew from the block QL2 course because friends had told them that the weekend course run by thier home unit would be easier.

Once more into the fray!

This thread (standards of QL2/3) has lasted for so long in so many guises that it could almost constitute a web page all by itself.

Obviously this is a topic that embraces the very core of our exsistence as professional soldiers (full/part time not withstanding) and makes us all a little uncomfortable when in a ‘civilized‘ discussion (without all the table pounding, life threatening and swearing a good mess debate could muster) about the subject.

A great many people on this page have had many years of TI to establish their opinions regarding this topic and become incensed when challenged by calm reason and logic. I know, I‘m one of them.

I believe that this stems from our (my) passion for a system that HAS worked in the past and feels (again, that emotional stuff) that the system has become a shell of its‘ former self and that we (I) fear for its‘ current memberships‘ survival in the operational fields of the future.

What I personally fear is that when ‘the balloon goes up‘ I will lose my life or my friends will lose their‘s due to the shortcomings of forethought by the higher command groups and not for the lack of skill and professional soldier instincts bred into me as a young soldier.

Are the skills required to effectively survive and dominate the modern battlefiled being trained into our ‘new and younger‘ soldiers? From all the accounts on this page (and many others) I would respectfully suggest not.

Dileas Gu Brath

here‘s my beef on the subject

I did my reserve QL2 in May 1999. It consisted of about ten weekends, about 15 training nights. I came right of it into my QL3 Infantry. My QL2 was fairly informative and it gave me a pretty good base level of knowledge. The QL3 was about 7 weeks, then we went straight on to ARCON, a week long field ex in Gagetown. Now I considered this training good and all, but I could have used a bit more.
Recently I did a compontent transfer into the reg force, and received a recruit school by-pass. I came here to Kingston to go right on my QL3 and found it was mostly full people fresh from recruit school. Some of them gave me a hard time about my recruit school bypass (mind you they kept pretty quiet after I told them about my QL3 ;-) )
I came into this course thinking I would be just another troop, but now I find myself taking more of a leadership role within the course because alot of these recruit schools guys really don‘t have the knowledge that you only get from time in, reserve or reg force. So my humble opinion is that NDHQ had better start pulling their heads out of their hug ranking arses and start thinking for a change. We‘re producing substandard troops from recruit school and reserve QL2, and this is not acceptable. We keep getting troops that come into QL3s that are more concerned with ironing their uniforms and waxing the floor, as opposed to actually studying for the PC the next day. We all know the three D‘s have their own place in a QL3, but they should never, never take priority over learning. It‘s also amazing to see some of the people slipping through basic, you always get the odd bag of **** on every course, but seems that is consistently pumping out more and more of them. I don‘t blame the staff at CFLRS, it‘s not they‘re fault, it‘s the higher ups.

Welll that‘s why two cents on the situation

Fideliter

It comes down to money, No money poor, weak Recuits. Good work on going Reg.

Im with recce..............my 3‘s were six months long.............cant remember how long it was when I was in the infantry!

:cdn:

Hey everybody, I was just wondering if anyone would like to share their experiences with their QL2 and QL3 training (hell, even ql5 if you want), especially reserves, infantry, and recently done... What was it like, what exactly did you do.... I still haven‘t gotten that figured out, and I‘ve gotta wait until may to go on course myself...

-m72
-m67
-c9
-c7
-smoke grenades
-thunderflashes
-arty sims
-uhh I think that is it

-def positions
-section battle drills (maybe platoon level if your lucky)
-basic patrols (f,uck around with other courses if your lucky....heheh that was fun as hell)
-ranges
maybe some pt (if your lucky)
-sentry duty (fun fun fun)
-weapons cleaning
-stores cleaning
-cock (well a lil cock)
-townies from JDs (Infanteer took the grenade -that was funny)

All in all I made the best of it and had an awesome time. yeah pt was slack yeah the course is short yeah there were ppl there who shouldna passed but you just f,uck it and drive on. You will do things in those few weeks you will remember for a long time and will go home with many stories to tell. Just hope you get some good instructors and are in shape when you get there and you should be fine. A simple thing to remember is TEAMWORK -that is a fundamental skill you must have to allow things to go smoothly for you cause if buddy f,ucks up its not his fault its yours.
I loved patroling cause that is the shiznit I wanna get into later. Section battle drills are pretty tough ( remember F.I.D.O) but when you look back after completing the days worth of them you think to yourself man that was f,uckin sweet.

Disturbance

PS- a grenade referred to earlier is what you call a really ugly chick accompaning a really hot chick your friend needs you to take so he can get with the hot one hence the term - taking the grenade.

When can we expect to see this new Land Forces Basic course up and running? I‘ve been hearing about it for half a year now, but I still cannot get an answer as to when it will become the standard of all new soldiers training.

:cool: Yard Ape

WATC is suppose to start running them next summer.

Hey everyone.. I remember that recently it was discussed here how QL2 was bring shortened drastically, to even as little as 16-20 days in length.. Well, the reserve recruiter (are they as notorious as reg force recruiters?) just informed me that the QL2 will likely run about 40 days (or 7 weeks) this summer (although this is tentative)

This seems like good news to me, as this is going to be when I‘m doing my QL2 (and maybe QL3?), and I want good training..

Anyone else hear about the topic?

QL2 is being replaced by BMQ (Basic Military Qualification) - 20 days. In addition, the army has introduced SQ (Soldier Qualification) - 20 days. There is the 40 day total.

Hold on.

I went ot the recruiter over a week ago and he said the unit I plan on joining is running a QL2 starting Oct. 12. Are these changes not being implemented until next year?

Expect the BMQ and SQ courses to begin this comming summer. Also expect many serving soldiers to refer to the BMQ as QL2 (at least for a few more years). There are still members who refer to the basic trades training as TQ3.

The BMQ will be 20 days. QL2 is 16 days.

I have heard that there is a goal to reduce all QL3 courses to 20 days. This is not likely to happen in the Engineer world (QL3 is 36 days), but can someone comment on any of the other combat arms?

That‘s what I heard they were doing with Engrs, but as you said there was a lot of disinformation floating around CFSME this summer.
You can‘t possibly train an engineer in 20 days.

Back