• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve & PSHCP for dependants. Options when outside 3months of start date.

justmyalias

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings,

Long story short.

Attach Posted.  Started Class B +180 (several years going now, in a different city).  FF 7months, shockingly discover PSHCP for dependants was never activated, moreover effectively ended and was never reinstated when the last B ended and new one commenced.  More disturbed to discover that procedurally, now that I'm outside 3months from contract start, I must wait 3months till activated. Doh!

I can't afford to wait 3 months because my 'B' will BE ENDING by then-so what's the point?

I've called PSHCP, they said I can 'write a letter' and have an exception but that it would take long anyway.

At this point, unless I find a solution for PSHCP promptly, I guess I have to go with any civy policy I can find.  Any suggestions on who's the best/cheapest/most comprehensive?

I would like to know if anybody knows a way to have my coverage reinstated immediately?  I have had coverage for years now, amazed how it got bumped off this last time and nobody caught it :(.

/queue ramble

It's find it difficult when your OR is in limbo, when there's nobody around months at a time.  When you don't even get your statements for 4-5-6 months because of 'insert random reason'.  Though I asked a few times - it was just not happening.  Balancing not being too intrusive/annoying seemingly to ask for your statements is a line we have to tread no doubt.  Forgetting to follow-up on e v e r y s i n g l e facet of reserve admin life (I still am clueless on what to do with the Pension-though I see deductions being processed on my statements now) is a thing of beauty in and of itself.  Had I been receiving my statements all along - I would've discovered from the get go that not everything was being deducted properly.  Last enquiry I made was in Sept asking for my PSHCP to be reactivated.  Now it's December and still nothing was done :(.  As a junior NCM how'm I to keep tabs on MCpls and above in my OR so my families' well-being isn't pushed to the side?

I must sound quite reckless, but the truth is, I'm just not how to say, so inclined to follow-up on all the things when it comes to admin.  Having to wait a month here or a month there because nobody is around lends itself to completely forgetting about it for 2-3 months at time.

I've always believed that to be a full-time reservist with dependants-a manual or 'what to do package' would be very useful and handy.  Currently, it's a fend for yourself mentality.  At least now I know a few things about how to do the basics...but it took YEARS to learn that much.  A reference manual for what sort of benefits, entitlements, and services are available, as well as contact & helpful information readily available.  A few of my Class B renewals were met with a little confusion and complications, with myself having to do the leg work on one or two occasions for things that were handled prior and in subsequent Class B's.

I DEFINATELY do not fully absolve myself of this predicament as it is definately my own doing.  Having said that it would have been nice to see a tad more support & follow-through provided by the OR.  I love my OR to death...but yeeesh, a few rare instances I've felt like they've hung me out to dry.

/end ramble

Back