• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve MP

Muffin....theres a great name for a Rottie LOL...just kidding

That's a good one too... Muffin!  KILL!!

Has a nice ironic ring to it...

Timbit was the alternative, but he got too big.

Wow,
Caused a commotion with my self-depreciating humour...guess I'll stick to listening to everyother trade make fun of us. Seriously if we can't poke fun at our own image then we've become the very tight asses people think we are.

On that note here are some things I've learned to be true:
1.Your TC vest does not guarantee visibility
2. If you have to ask yourself or your jeepteam partner if you need another sign....you do
3. Traffic will roll past your TCP as soon as you start to eat/go to the bathroom
4. A cross country short cut will get you lost or stuck or both
5. as a MP, everybody knows your job and will not hesitate to tell you you're doing it wrong
6. If a signing task requires 4hrs to do, the packet crosses the start point in 2
7. a staple gun will never have a staple in it the first time you use it
8. Your jeep team is only organized when you first load it
9. The only place in the harbour that is warm, dry and has no bugs is the CP...and you can't go in there
10. Your route signing will never be good enough
11. The helicopter recce task will only come up when you're out of the biv
12. MP's were always tougher and had more fun and were better respected in the "good old days"
13. TC gear on a sunny day magnifies the heat x3
14. TC gear on a cold day does nothing
15. If you know the way and don't refer to your map....you will get lost
16. there will be no traffic when it's your turn to do radar
17. When traffic does come...nobody speeds.

Just some observations. I tried to leave out the ones that some folks may take umbrage to.

Cheers

Poppa said:
as a MP, everybody knows your job and will not hesitate to tell you you're doing it wrong

LOL...............now THAT is funny.........................and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true!

Please feel free to give me a call at 604-666-4031. I am responsible for recruiting reserve MP's in your area.

The closest MP unit is in Richmond. Some people commute from as far as chilliwack, but Harrison Hot springs would make you the most dedicated applicant so far.

I am very gratefull for the slew of accurate info I keep reading from people like MP 811. But things are changing quickly around here, so please call me for the latest accurate info.

Army reserve MP's do not get peace officer status, and chances are this wont change. But now our training includes a law enforcement module, as to better serve our reg force MP's when we augment them.

Dissident , I thought YOU were our most dedicated applicant. I guess I was wrong.

521-I'm sure we could get some carpooling arrangements as we have 2 guys in out PL out in the Chilliwack area. Just a thought.

Forgive me for being ignorant towards the specifics of this trade, especially in terms of the army reserve...but...if reserve military police officers are just now being provided a law enforcement module within their training - what the hell were they doing before?  I know reserve military police officers don't have peace officer status (Why is that, anyways?) - so if a reserve MP doesn't have peace officer status - what do they do?  Do they have peace officer status when working full-time, or on deployment?  How does this work??

Briefly, MP have four main roles:   Law Enforcement Ops, Security Ops, Detention Ops and Mobility Support Ops.   Militia MP focus on the last three as the decision was made to not train them to Reg Force standards, possibly due to the length of time of our QL3, although ARAF members do complete the Reg Force course.   A small number of Militia MP have also completed it but they are the exception rather than the rule.

In order to be considered a Peace Office you need to meet the criteria laid down in Sect 2 of the Criminal Code, in this instance being appointed "Military Police" under Sect 156 of the NDA.   Militia MP do not normally meet the standards and other criteria required to be appointed under Sect 156, so most fail the standard to be considered a Peace Officer while conducting their duties.    Having said that, there are some Militia MP who are appointed under Sect 156 however these are generally retired Reg Force pers who have very specific criteria they must meet to retain the appointment.

I have also heard that in order to be a reserve MP, you DO NOT have to have a police foundations diploma. How true is this?

No you don't need a police foundations diploma to be a Reserve MP.

Hi all, I am new to the forum, and while I realize this topic may be out of date, but I felt that this information from the National Defense Act and the Criminal Code of Canada might be helpful.
I am currently looking for a spot as an MP or MPO in a reserve capacity (I do have a 4 year degree). I have come to appreciate this board, as it provides excellent first hand information in many situations.
But I digress, for your consideration, two sections, from the aforementioned Code and Act:

(From the Criminal Code of Canada)

“peace officer” includes
(g) officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces who are
(i) appointed for the purposes of section 156 of the National Defence Act, or
(ii) employed on duties that the Governor in Council, in regulations made under the National Defence Act for the purposes of this paragraph, has prescribed to be of such a kind as to necessitate that the officers and non-commissioned members performing them have the powers of peace officers;

(From the National Defense Act)

Powers of military police
156. Officers and non-commissioned members who are appointed as military police under regulations for the purposes of this section may
(a) detain or arrest without a warrant any person who is subject to the Code of Service Discipline, regardless of the person’s rank or status, who has committed, is found committing, is believed on reasonable grounds to be about to commit or to have committed a service offence or who is charged with having committed a service offence; and
(b) exercise such other powers for carrying out the Code of Service Discipline as are prescribed in regulations made by the Governor in Council.

Baring the words "under regulations" having some major exclusionary component, from these excerpts it looks like all MP's and MPO's, whether in a reserve capacity or not, are considered to be peace officers under the Criminal Code. Whether or not this is actually the case in practice, I have no idea, and simply posted this for the consideration of the experts who have already been very helpful herein. Maybe it's something that changed since this thread was current?
I defer to the experts from here on.

Kind Regards-

Keep reading the forum.

Being a member of the Military Police trade and being appointed Military Police with credentials are, as of right now, two different things.

Both of these references need to be read in conjunction with Queen's Regulations and Orders 22.02(2) which states:

The following persons are appointed for the purposes of section 156 of the National Defence Act:

(a) every officer posted to an established position to be employed on military police duties, and

(b) every person posted to an established military police position and qualified in the military police trade,

provided that such officer or person is in lawful possession of a Military Police Badge and an official Military Police Identification Card.

Hope that explains it for you.

"(a) every officer posted to an established position to be employed on military police duties, and"

I apologize if I have interpreted this incorrectly, but in conjunction with the NDA and the CC, does this imply that all MPO's have peace officer status?

I really appreciate the posting of that information, certainly makes this clearer.

Regards-

No. 

Most, if not all, Reserve MPO do not meet the standard as they do not meet the requirements of the last line of the reference I provided.  You can't just pick and choose the portions of the references which you like, you need to read them in their entirety. 

Missed the 'and' on the end. Sometimes subsections A, B and C of section XXX refer to individual things, and are not always connected, hence my missing the 'and' at the end of subsection 'a'

Back