• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve MP in Air vs Navy vs Army

Murb

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry if this question has been done to death and I've just been horribly blind to the posts or something, but I was wondering if one was going to be an MP, is there a difference between choosing Air Navy or Army? I thought maybe Navy would be based on the ships maybe, but wouldn't Army and Air basically be based out on the same places? :-\
If there is no difference between the 3 options for MPs than do you basically choose which one you want based on how long you want BMQ to be and the extra section specific additional training? (ie, the background in airforce, etc)

Thanks in advance,

Murb

For Reg Force, there is no difference in uniform choice.

For Reserve, the difference is substantial.  Briefly:

1)  There are no Naval Reserve MP so this isn't even an option;

2)  Army Reserve MP are primarily oriented towards supporting the Army.  A few will attain credentialed status but most will not.  Your training is primarily focused on field skills (although this can vary greatly depending on what is the flavour of the day).  You will have to attend and be found suitable at MPAC.

3)  ARAF MP positions are relatively few and far between compared to Army Reserve.  They follow the same selection and training program as a Reg Force MP and, as such, are all eligible to be issued credentials when employed in a position which requires them.

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know!

And if you don't mind me asking additional questions...

If we get in on Army Reserve MP and then later want to move to a different occupation and to the regular force will we be able to change to AF or Naval depending on the job?

That and by the descriptions I think I might prefer the job of a MP versus MPO (hoping that is the right acronym for Military Police Officer), if I were to go in as an MPO would I be able to... idk... voluntarily demote myself if I want more like... field work?

A friend was also asking me, but I haven't been able to find the answer yet, If you apply to be the MPO but it's not enough spots or you don't satisfy the requirements or something would you be placed in line for the normal MP process? or would you have to be stuck in the line for MPO and not be able to go into an MP position?

My friend and I will be going to see a recruiter on Tuesday to ask questions and such but we want to know as much as we can before we go see him so it's less of a probing session and more confirmation and application help.

Thanks in advance,

Murb

Murb said:
Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know!

And if you don't mind me asking additional questions...

If we get in on Army Reserve MP and then later want to move to a different occupation and to the regular force will we be able to change to AF or Naval depending on the job?
Yes, in fact, depending on the new trade, a change of uniform may be required, not optional.  Also, it could be that in order to meet the uniform quotas you would be offered a position in a different uniform, even if it wasn't strictly required.

That and by the descriptions I think I might prefer the job of a MP versus MPO (hoping that is the right acronym for Military Police Officer), if I were to go in as an MPO would I be able to... idk... voluntarily demote myself if I want more like... field work?
Technically, yes but realistically, no.  Once you are commissioned you can not simply decide to become a Cpl because you decide you would like that more.  Also, just because you're the "boss" doesn't mean you can suddenly decide to start issuing tickets.  It has happened in the past and it has resulted in ridicule and rebukes for the officer(s) involved.

A friend was also asking me, but I haven't been able to find the answer yet, If you apply to be the MPO but it's not enough spots or you don't satisfy the requirements or something would you be placed in line for the normal MP process? or would you have to be stuck in the line for MPO and not be able to go into an MP position?
No, each stream has its own unique requirements, you can't put an application in for both at the same time.

My friend and I will be going to see a recruiter on Tuesday to ask questions and such but we want to know as much as we can before we go see him so it's less of a probing session and more confirmation and application help.
But that's what the recruiter is there for, to answer these types of questions from an authoritative source as opposed to some Anon on the Interwebs...
Thanks in advance,

Murb
No probs, good luck.

No, each stream has its own unique requirements, you can't put an application in for both at the same time

why not? you can apply to three trades at once.

C.G.R said:
why not? you can apply to three trades at once.

Within the same component and status, yes. One cannot apply to be a ranger, a reserve boatswain, and a reg pilot all at once.

Thats not what he is asking though, he is asking about applying as a reserve MP and MPO at the same time.

Shamrock said:
Within the same component and status, yes. One cannot apply to be a ranger, a reserve boatswain, and a reg pilot all at once.

If someone satisfied the requirements for both the Reserve MPO and the Reserve MP, he couldn't apply for say 1st choice MPO and second choice MP? Just so he can be in the profession either way? Even if the MPO spot is full or something to go though as an MP and then work his way to MPO later?

C.G.R said:
Thats not what he is asking though, he is asking about applying as a reserve MP and MPO at the same time.

Shamrock said:
Within the same component and status, yes.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. An applicant can have one (1) active file. That one (1) active file may be in up to three (3) trades but only for one (1) component and only for (1) status.

I highly doubt they would allow you to take up a spot on an MPAC AND and MPOAC

edit....forgot this thread was about reserves.....disregard

Depending what you are interested in ... I would suggest that Res Army MP would be the easier to get in to only because there are more positions and would have the duties would have the most variety. From my experience I have seen Res Army MP fill a more than a Res Air MP as they typically stick to policing roles only.

If anyone knows something different please chime in. I have limited experience with the ARAF side.

Back