• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve INT

• Thread starter CrazyCanuck
  • Start date
You'll probably find that your Studies are fairly common.  I think that Int is more interested in Linguists, than anything else.  So if you were to be a master of several languages as well, then you would likely be a great catch.

GW

ReadyAyeReady said:
1) Hey all, I'm just going through the application process right now and I've been reading on this site that some people have had a terrible time with waiting for their background/security checks to come through.   I myself spent 2 years in the UK at university and I wanted to know if that will seriously delay my application.   If anyone who has been overseas like myself can shed any more light on this then can they do so...it would be helpful to know.   Some people have said that they have had to wait 12 months or even longer because of having been out of the country...that sounds pretty insane to me (even with the fact that the government security clearance system is abysmally slow...a criticism which I've heard numerous times...esp concerning CSIS).   Anyway, I'm just worried that I might be sitting around for a year waiting for them to get the clearance through.

2)I've been told that the Intelligence Officer occupation is only open to serving CF members.   However, the CF recently posted on the recruiting website under the occupation description for Int a note that states that under exceptional circumstances they may recruit a person directly into the Intelligence Branch through the DEO plan.   Now I've got a Master's Degree in International Politics and Strategic Studies...does that give me at least a slim chance of getting into Intel right off the bat?   If not, can anyway give me some info on how long it takes and what the process is like of getting into Intel once you're in the CF.

Your time in the UK shouldn't be much of a problem since they are a close ally. The clearance process just takes a lot of time regardless of circumstances.

It's Int! Not intel! (Canadian thing. recce/recon)
Anyway, from my personal experience, almost all the Int officer's I've met were former non-com Int Ops. And Int Op is a remuster-only trade. I guess that probably doesn't help you but FYI :)

Your security check should not be delayed that much, if at all for attending a college/university outside of Canada. I attended a UK university for five years and had no problem with my security check. At your level, they will only be doing enhanced reliability, which is a basic search of credentials, credit, etc. It only becomes an issue if you come from, or have been visiting, a country of concern.

The best thing to do about your interest in INT is to seek out a recruiter.

I've been told that they will take people off civvie street, but only if they have some freaky experience or skill that they normally can't find or if they need it right away. And, I suspect they only do this for Officer applicants, as (as stated above) most if not all of the INT NCOs are remusters.

You could go in as an MP and switch, or do Infantry for a couple of years and then switch.

You may also want to try ResF INT trade, and then remuster to RegF at a later date.

Yes, we occasionally recruit Int Officers right from the streets.  You've got nothing to lose by trying.  A Masters in International Studies etc is one of the degrees we look for.  For your info, the Int trade, both officer and NCM, is severely stressed (ie not nearly enough people for the ongoing taskings) and our school can't pump trained Int Ops/Officers out fast enough.  If you can't get in right away, try to get a commission in one of the Reserve Int units (Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax), then transfer over to Reg Force.
We definitely need more troops/officers. If you get in, you'll be BUSY!!!!  Count on lots of tours also if posted to the Army.

WO :cdn:

ReadyAyeReady said:
If not, can anyway give me some info on how long it takes and what the process is like of getting into Intel once you're in the CF.

The recruiting site says "four years of military service including operational experience." 

I have a question about Intelligence

is it possible to transfer from a Reserve Infantry unit as an Officer to the Intelligence branch (Regular) as an Officer?

The reason I ask is that I'm currently in the process to join an Infantry Unit as an Officer Cadet, after I'm done my degree I want to possibly transfer to Intelligence on the regular side of things. So I'm just wondering if its possible later on, in about four years as that is how long I have left on my degree.

From Ian M - "is it possible to transfer from a Reserve Infantry unit as an Officer to the Intelligence branch (Regular) as an Officer?"

As long as you have a degree and meet the branch requirements you will be considered, the branch takes the best candidates who apply.

From Hachet Man - "How often and for how long to you guys go on tour"

Depends on your position/posting.  As with all tours they last 6 months.  Some deploy only occassionally, others deploy for 6 months, are home for 12 months, and then are gone for another 6 months.  These tend to be in the "hard Army" positions such as the Brigade HQs.  We have Int Ops/Officers on almost every mission.

Well... I have applied for  DEO since almost 19 months ago and still waiting for the CSIS security screening release. The recruting office told me that this delay in my application is due to my residence overseas. Does somebody know what is the maximum time required to process a level III security screening? Note that the CSIS finsihed conducting interviews with my character references since almost a month ago.The other question, is it normal to take this much of time, or who knows maybe longer since I have passed the written test and a pre-interview seven months ago?
Thanks.

I'm thinking of applying to join the intelligence res. Does anybody know concretely what kind of training is involved, and what specifically they do? And what kinds of people intelligence attracts?

oh sigh. First thing I thought of. "Oxymoron."

:)

(don't hate me people!)

actually, im curious too. Is this really an "active" trade...?

I had heard you can only OT into it, and require a min of 10 years in? Pure rumour of course....

Meridian said:
oh sigh. First thing I thought of. "Oxymoron."

:)

(don't hate me people!)

actually, im curious too. Is this really an "active" trade...?

I had heard you can only OT into it, and require a min of 10 years in? Pure rumour of course....

Not sure about reserves but in reg force you can apply for OT to int after 4 years of service.

aesop.. for regs.. does it matter what your current MOC is, or do they accept pretty much from any MOC?

Meridian said:
aesop.. for regs.. does it matter what your current MOC is, or do they accept pretty much from any MOC?

Any MOC will do.  I aplied in 97 but then changed my mind.  ( i was a 041 at the time)

Meridian said:

Sorry. What is OT? Oh yeah, a completly unrelated abbrevation. What does TD stand for? I know it is field pay but... thanks.

If you're interested in joining Int, and finding out what your local Int Company ( Coy) does, try and set up a visit with your local Int Coy so you can actually talk to members to find out what specifically you'll do as an Intelligence Operator or Int Officer. In the reserves, some Coys will allow you to join off the street, others require that you OT (Occupational Transfer) from another trade in the military.

Just be aware that Army Intelligence is not the James Bond / CIA / MI6 Movie style Intelligence. In a nutshell, on the reserve level it's mainly knowing about the enemy, weather and terrain, and how they can effect a commander's mission. It can be a rewarding trade if you apply yourself.

elizabeth said:
Sorry. What is OT? Oh yeah, a completly unrelated abbrevation. What does TD stand for? I know it is field pay but... thanks.

OT stands for Ocupational transfer.  Thats when you switch from one trade to another.

TD stands for temporary duty.  It is NOT field pay !!  it is given when you go on course or something of the sort.  Field pay is called FOA ( field operations allowance) and it is a standard rate per complete 24 hours spent in the field.

So, is there a difference between OT and remustering? Thanks for the info though!

I'm in 3 Inttelligence Company in Halifax (reserve unit). For the reserves you do not have to come from a prior trade (ie you can go from being a civvie to Int) where as reg force you must have a certain amount of time already in as mentioned previously in the thread.

As for what Intelligence does, well, I myself only just finished BMQ today (oooooo and does it feel good) but from what I know from the lectures and training I have been permitted to sit in on is that Int is all centred around information and what to do with it and how to inturpret it. If you're looking for door kicking, explosions, and lots of action, then this probably isn't the trade for you.

That's not to say there wont be any action, just not to the level you would get in the Infantry for example. We did have one lecture the other day on securing a building and cataloging item of informational value you'd find in order to track insurgents or what have you. For that the intructor giving the lecture said an Int Op would most likely be insterted into an Infantry unit to clear the house or building and then take pictures, detain, or what ever else.

But the main goal of Intelligence is getting and using information be it from a patrol and talking to locals (HumInt or Human Intelligence) or looking and photos, data, etc. etc... and that's all I really know. From what I have learned so far, I think it's an interesting trade. Many in other trades (as I have experienced) will make fun of it and say stupid things like "You don't need to go to the range, you're going Int" or "All you do is look at maps." or on the other end of things think you'll be James Bond.

I reccomend it though, as I have been enjoying it thus far. Don't listen to what other misinformed people say about the trade. I say go to the local Int unit and ask their recruiter. That's what I did and now I'm on my way to becoming an Int Op.

Back