• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Full time ?

Dogboy

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm trying out for the CF Reserve at this time and my curint job may not be lasting long (contract up for bid)
so if i join the Reserves can i get more days of work then the 1 half day a week and some week ends?

There's usually additional Cl A days avail, but normally they go to trained troops (less babysitting is required).  Also the chance for Cl B taskings come up every now and then (again, usually for trained troops).

I wouldn't plan on it. Class B and C contracts are rare, especially for a nugget. When I was in the reserves, there were usually a few class A days avail but only after you were done your 3's.

I think it really depends on the unit, and trade you join.
My unit gives out lots of class A days to even the the untrained ptes.
But, saying that, I don't think it will be enough of an income to do much, so I probably wouldn't plan on Class A, maybe just get a part time job?

-KaT

I got 173 class A\B days last year. It depends on the unit and what ex\taskings come up. But don't count on it. And its not that much money when you're new...

7 years Airfield Engineer, a little under 6 years class B/C (2 tours), and about 4 months class A. It becomes infinitely more easy to get work though when you are 3s trained, and as a tradesman it's even better to be 5s (3s aren't technically allowed to work unsupervised. technically)..

Could someone please explain to me the difference between A,B and C contracts?  Thanks.

Class A - Part Time Employment (at 85% of Reg F Pay Rate).  Most of the training you conduct with your Reserve unit during the year is Class A.

Class B - Full Time Employment for a fixed period of time (at 85% of Reg F Pay Rate).  When you go on courses or taskings during the summer, you will be paid Class B

Class C - Full Time Employment for a fixed period of time in support of Domestic or International Operations (at 100% of Reg F Pay Rate)

Hope this helps.

There is also differences with regards to benefits and the amount time you are allowed to work.  You are only allowed to work a certain number of Class A in any given fiscal year (I think it is 180 full days).  While on Class A you are entitled to some dental benefits provided you meet certain requirements (ie trade trained, length of service completed).  There are also two kinds of Class B.  Class B under 180 days, and Class B over 180 days.  The distinction is the benefits you can receive.  Basically (I know I am simplifiing, there are always exceptions to every rule), Class B under 180 get the same benefits as Class A.  Class B over 180 get more extended coverage (medical, dental, physio).  Class C is you are basically seen as a regular force person (cept you were a reserve cap badge.).  As was already mention Class C is the rarest contract, usually you only get Class C when you go on tour.

Cut to the chase, do three years in the Regs! If u do not like it say thanks and carry on.

The Militia/Reserves is a part time job and to base your whole income/livelhood on Class A and some Class B work is unrealistic.

Especially as an Pte!!

(this is in no way a slag at the Militia as I am proud alumni)

Fac et Spera

Ich Dien---Crow

Hatchet Man said:
regular force person (cept you were a reserve cap badge.).   As was already mention Class C is the rarest contract, usually you only get Class C when you go on tour.

What's this "reserve cap badge"? I seem to remember wearing an engineer cap badge, not a reserve cap badge.

And you can make a nice living in the reserves, depending on the unit and your trade. I did for several years, there were guys in my unit who did it longer than I did. It's a great way to serve if you don't want to leave the place you're living in.

Class B Commando's(Army) Perma Shad (Navy) living from contract to contract. Did it for 4 years!

Reserves is a part time job! (my opinion)

but (the exception)

Feral,

you should point out that you belong to a very skilled reserve unit with specialized (AES- I assume) tradespersons that are sought out for every tour. (Plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc)

I had the privilege of working with 14 AES on OP Hurricane 99 and just recently on OP ATHENA.

The AES is not comparable to a reserve line unit in terms of training and employment and deployment.

Crow

Feral said:
What's this "reserve cap badge"? I seem to remember wearing an engineer cap badge, not a reserve cap badge.

I think you knew what I meant, ie your home unit capbadge (only applies to us infantry folk though)

Hatchet Man said:
I think you knew what I meant, ie your home unit capbadge (only applies to us infantry folk though)

I could very well be wrong, but I do belive that Tankers have Regimental Capbadges as well.

looking loking for full time work as a perminint thing from the Reserves but as a back up incace i lost my regular job and needid something till i get back on my feet. but thanks for the info.

Love793 said:
I could very well be wrong, but I do belive that Tankers have Regimental Capbadges as well.

my bad forgot armoured have regimental badges too, so rarely get a chance to work with them in reserve world.

Munner said:
THere are four classes of pay, not three:

A,B,B-A,C

Those are contracts types, not classes of pay. You are either getting paid a full day or half day at 80% or 100%. With Class A and B/A there can be a lot of flexibility (WRT full days and half days).  Class B and C are usually full days only.

Dogboy the chances of you landing a class B job are pretty slim as a Pte, and most class B are usually for RMS clerk positions (ie they want a qualified RMS clerk) or other specialized trades.  Class B that are open to any MOC are very rare, but again you usually need some sort of clerk experience to apply even to those jobs as well.  This has been my personal experience.  Don't look to the reserves as means for full time employment, even as a back up.

Back