• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements

Hale, could you please provide me with a list of Reserve medical units (doesn't matter if they're army, navy or air if there is that distinction over there). I tried a search on the ADF website, but I came up empty, so any help would be great! Cheers!

There is a difference, each of the services maintain their own medical units, http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/default.asp?p=184, will take you to the unit locator for the army. It is worth noting that over here all recruiting is done centrally rather than by the individual units themselves. I'm not sure how, in practice, this works for exchanges. I'm sure an e-mail to adf recruiting outlining your situation will generate some useful advice.

Yup been there done that, but unfortunately Aus is too big and too unfamiliar for me to look through EVERY single city & province, hence I asked the lovely Hale to provide me with some guidance. However, a quick e-mail to recting certainly would help! Cheers!

This is the only AGR (Active General Reserve) Medical Unit in Sydney.

Other AGR Units have medics attached as such, and there is literally heaps of AGR units within Sydney alone, including a Commando unit.

Here is the address, or do a google search for more.

Also try searching for 2 Div or 5 Bde for more units, this may help you hopefully.

Officer Commanding
Medical Coy
5 CSSB
1 Hills Street
Banksmeadow, NSW 2017
Australia

Cheers,

Wes

That's a great start Wes, thanks! When I get down under, if I can get this exchange working, I'll buy you a beer :D or two ;)

I'm going to contact the Australian Consulate for this but I thought I'd ask Wes or someone else who might have a know.

In light that we are now able to travel to the great land down under to conduct training, which type of visa do we require? there is a huge list of visas, and I'm just not too sure what exactly we need. Anyways, anyone know?

WRT to visa, since this program is for reserves, I would imagine that you would be in Oz for some other reason (such as University or work).  In that case, you would need the visa for whatever your primary purpose in the country was for.  I was on a student visa the entire time

Lazy W... you really havent answered my question....

MedTech said:
Lazy W... you really havent answered my question....

He has actually.  But here's the info page for visas.

http://www.dimia.gov.au/immigration.htm

There is a big stir up about the...136 visa (I think) which is the skilled worker visa.  But this is a pretty good opportunity for anybody who's doing a university exchange (USask Education and Kinesiology programs) or a holiday trip.  I tried a few years ago on my exchange to organise this and things were in the works back then.  Great program.  For anybody going to Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide or New Castle, bring your ice hockey gear. 

And everytime some friend emails me a bit of news about some new coolguy unit forming, I get more and more depressed about getting married.  The Jack Daniels costs more here, the surfing isn't good ALL the time, and trying to get into the reg force sucks - medical standards are much ...older (colour perception). 

Anybody looking to go for a trip down to Melbourne drop my a line (especially around Canada Day - enclaves of Canucks all over the place).

Chimo

This is a great initiative to those reservists who are undertaking university programs or whose civilian company have sent them to work in Australia or Great Britain/Northern Ireland.  At my last unit there was a Navy Reservist Musician who went to Australia to do her Masters in Music and she was able to parade with the Band of the Royal Australian Navy.  She represented Canada well and provided some surprised looks with her slightly different uniform at the band performances.

CANFORGEN 129/08 VCDS 021 151514Z JUL 08 - PRIMARY RESERVE CLASS A FOREIGN SERVICE
http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2008/129-08_e.asp

REFS: A. MOU BETWEEN THE DEPT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE OF CANADA AND THE MOD OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
CONCERNING THE RESERVE FORCES FOREIGN SERVICE ARRANGEMENT DATED 17 MAY 05 (DND 2000052201)
B. MOU BETWEEN THE AUSTRALIAN DEPT OF DEFENCE AND THE DEPT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE OF CANADA CONCERNING THE RESERVE FORCES FOREIGN
SERVICE ARRANGEMENT DATED 20 JUN 07 (DND 2007013432)

THE CHIEF OF RESERVES AND CADETS (C RES AND CDTS) SIGNED THE TWO REFERENCE DOCUMENTS FOR CANADA ENABLING MEMBERS OF THE PRIMARY RESERVE (P RES) FROM CANADA, THE UK, OR AUSTRALIA TO PARADE IN THE OTHERS COUNTRY WHILE MAINTAINING THEIR CLASS A PARADING STATUS AT THEIR HOME UNITS. THESE ARRANGEMENTS ENSURE DUTY OF CARE FOR MEMBERS PARADING IN THE HOST NATION, A CONTINUATION OF SERVICE WITH THE PARENT UNIT WHILE OUT OF THE COUNTRY, AND AN OPPORTUNITY TO COMPARE, AND CONTRAST TRAINING WITH ALLIED NATIONS. THE AIM OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO PROMULGATE THE PROCESS REQUIRED TO ACCESS THE RESERVE FORCES FOREIGN SERVICE ARRANGEMENTS (RFFSA) WITH THE UK AND AUSTRALIA AND TO ENSURE THAT P RES CLASS A RESERVISTS ARE AWARE OF THE OPTION TO PARADE OUTSIDE OF CANADA WHEN THE NECESSITY ARISES DUE TO CIVILIAN CIRCUMSTANCES REQUIRING AN INTERNATIONAL RELOCATION

APPROVAL AND COORDINATION OF THE MOU S IS DONE AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL BETWEEN THE SIGNATORY MOD STAFFS. C RES AND CDTS IS THE NATIONAL AUTHORITY FOR RESERVISTS FROM WITHIN CANADA AND IS ALSO THE AUTHORITY FOR RESERVISTS FROM OUTSIDE OF CANADA. THE DIRECTOR RESERVES (D RES) IS THE OFFICE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE MOU S ON BEHALF OF C RES AND CDTS

P RES MEMBERS MAY APPLY THROUGH THEIR CHAIN OF COMMAND TO D RES FOR PERMISSION TO PARADE OUTSIDE OF CANADA. PERSONNEL RELOCATING TO THE UK OR AUSTRALIA WILL BE ADMINISTERED USING THE EXISTING MOUS. D RES WILL MAKE APPLICATION TO INTERNATIONAL STAFFS ON BEHALF OF THE APPLICANT AND NOTIFY THE CHAIN OF COMMAND WHEN PERMISSIONS ARE IN PLACE ENABLING FOLLOW-ON DIRLAUTH FOR SENDING AND RECEIVING UNITS

PRIMARY RESERVISTS RELOCATING TO COUNTRIES OTHER THAN THE UK OR AUSTRALIA MAY APPLY FOR CONSIDERATION TO PARADE ON A CLASS A BASIS USING ONE OF THE EXISTING MOU S AS A TEMPLATE. D RES WILL THEN DETERMINE ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS WHETHER IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A PARADING ARRANGEMENT TO BE MADE OR NOT

THE GUIDE TO USING THE EXISTING RESERVE FORCES FOREIGN SERVICE ARRANGEMENTS CAN BE FOUND ON THE D RES WEBSITE AT: HTTP://VCDS.MIL.CA/DRES/PUBS/COMPENSATION/NEWMOU UNDERSCORE E.ASP

Say I just wanted to go on "vacation" to AUS for a year or so, can I still apply for this or is it only for people being forced by work or education requirements to go there?

I can't look on the DIN or whatever it is...

Thanks.

popnfresh said:
Say I just wanted to go on "vacation" to AUS for a year or so, can I still apply for this or is it only for people being forced by work or education requirements to go there?

Thanks.

copied from the site, looks like no:

All members of the Primary Reserve or UK Reserve Forces relocating temporarily to either Canada or the UK as a result of a job transfer or secondment with civilian employers, or for purposes of attending an educational institution may apply under the provisions of the MOU through their chain of command

popnfresh said:

Thanks.

Are you not doing a CT to the RegF anyways ?

Applying common sense...(OK, dangerous, I know)...How could/why would the PRes limit your ability to take advantage of this based on why you are going?  Another example that doesn't fall into the examples listed - say you are the PRes spouse/child of a RegF member posted on an exchange, or the spouse/child of a civilian being transfered there/studying there.  I think the website info could be "examples" and not all-inclusive.  The benefits to the CF and the member are still there.

exgunnertdo said:
Applying common sense...(OK, dangerous, I know)...How could/why would the PRes limit your ability to take advantage of this based on why you are going?  Another example that doesn't fall into the examples listed - say you are the PRes spouse/child of a RegF member posted on an exchange, or the spouse/child of a civilian being transfered there/studying there.  I think the website info could be "examples" and not all-inclusive.  The benefits to the CF and the member are still there.

directly from the memo of understanding (MOU):

The RFFSA will apply to a Reserve Force Member who is in the Receiving State attending school, working for a civilian employer on temporary assignment, or while accompanying a family member who is attending school or on a temporary work assignment. 

CDN Aviator said:
Are you not doing a CT to the RegF anyways ?

Yeah I got a call today from Ottawa wondering why I'm still waiting to be interviewed etc...my unit has not updated my file or sent the required documents to the required pers, even after I gave it to them...Ottawa wants to fast track me, but it all hinges on a few people doing work, and need I say as a Pte I have little pull when it comes to getting stuff done.

THUS, I have money, I have time...but I'm still looking for my adventure. I guess I could always take a basket weaving course in Aus and do this...

CountDC said:

The RFFSA will apply to a Reserve Force Member who is in the Receiving State attending school, working for a civilian employer on temporary assignment, or while accompanying a family member who is attending school or on a temporary work assignment. 

Ah - that's clear, then.  The "vacation" thing wasn't so much a concern, but I would have thought that dependents should be included.  Makes more sense now.  Thanks.

CountDC said:

I may be pulling a technicality but for the provision 'working for a civilian employer on a temporary assignment,' can the civilian employer potentially be a foreign (ie Australian) one?  For someone without citizenship in the foreign country, a work visa would require that employment be a 'temporary assignment.'

Hey guys, I'm currently a reservist in Toronto. I am planning to move to Australia in December. I am curious as to how I would go about getting attached to an ADF reserve unit in Sydney? A couple buddies of mine are trying to do the same as we speak, but they said that it is difficult and taking forever to figure out. I figure if I get a jump on this, maybe by December they will be ready for me. I am planning to return to Canada after about 24 months, as my civvie career dictates. Any ideas on how to get the ball rolling? Thanks.

Just off the top of my head, I would suggest several things.  Go through your Chain of Command with your request.  Find a "Sister" or Affiliated Unit, if you can.  Contact the Australian Embassy/Consulate for information.  Contact the Canadian Defence Attache (through the proper channels).  Talk to Australian Troops and see if they have any ideas of what process to take.

Exchanges have occurred in the past and will continue to happen, so you have some hope.  Hopefully, it can be figured out before you have to be back.  ;D

Back