• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements

Haggis said:
Skitzo_222:  Check your PMs

DAA, IRT CANFORGEN 177/12, contacting the High Commissions or Embassy will not help.  They will simply refer you to your parent unit.  Go to your parent unit and refer them to CFG 177/12.  The process must be initiated there.  E-mail me on the DWAN if you have any questions.  My e-mail is in CFG 177/12.

:goodpost:

And thnks for bringing that to our attention!!!!  How would a scenario such as this work???

Reg F member posted OUTCAN and whose spouse is Res F and belongs to a PRL which does not have Class A positions available.  How would the program apply to them?

My understanding is that the MOU is not a guarantee that they would be able to parade class A but just provides the possibility.  It is best for the mbr to do some of their own research and propose potential host units that can accommodate them.

DAA said:
How would a scenario such as this work???

Reg F member posted OUTCAN and whose spouse is Res F and belongs to a PRL which does not have Class A positions available.  How would the program apply to them?

An excellent question that we have run across before with the NDHQ PRL. 

The Reservist would have to transfer back to their environment and find a "home port unit/Division" that is willing to take them on their establishment AND fund their Class A parading in the receiving state.

Haggis said:
An excellent question that we have run across before with the NDHQ PRL. 

The Reservist would have to transfer back to their environment and find a "home port unit/Division" that is willing to take them on their establishment AND fund their Class A parading in the receiving state.

That would require a very charitable unit indeed...

Brihard said:
That would require a very charitable unit indeed...

I've been working on these files for almost four years and have yet to find a CO who is that charitable.

Haggis said:
I've been working on these files for almost four years and have yet to find a CO who is that charitable.

We have had a few "really good" people who worked for us on full-time Class B (eg: PRL Managed), whose Reg F spouse was posted OUTCAN and they naturally followed, but they transferred over to the Supp Res prior to leaving.

And the shame of it all.......If they should ever come back to our area, which may very well happen, and a Class B position opens up, which it does from time to time, and they apply we can't even look at rehiring them if a currently active PRes member applies.  Supp Res pers are at the back of the line....

Surprised that Ottawa doesn't consider limited funding for keeping these people "active" and involved.

I was in touch with Haggis on this one, but I'm starting the process right now on a neat one. I've got a former active duty US Marine Corps infantryman who's now on their 'individual ready reserve'. Think of it as five years compulsory supp res where once a year you're paid to fly in and do a muster parade for the sake of annual readiness. He's up here now going to school - he's a dual citizen - and is very interested in attaching to my unit to parade and train with us. Trouble is because he's IRR, there isn't a field unit that 'owns' him; he's just on a big list somewhere. So I anticipate significant difficulty in trying to get buy in from their side. The trouble is, on the Canadian side I'd have a pretty good idea of who to at least go to. With the Americans their entire system is literally very foreign to me and I don't know the ins and outs that normally help me muddle my way through bureaucracy...

This'll be fun.

DAA said:
Surprised that Ottawa doesn't consider limited funding for keeping these people "active" and involved.

A conundrum we'd face in that case is ensuring that "Ottawa" provides these folks with enough Class A days to make a worthwhile contribution to the receiving state.  We've had some requests come through authorizing just enough days to keep a member off the NES list while serving OUTCAN. Receiving state units aren't interested in this so it's hardly worth the staff effort at times.

I'd love to be able to support this.  But what little money I have in my training budget goes towards funding opportunities which will produce a return on investment on the Armoury Floor/deck plates/flight line of P Res units and aid in readiness and succession planning.

Hello, I am a Ccanadian combat engineer reservist, my wife has an awsome job offer in St. Louis, am I able to get attached to the American military ?

It is possible for a Class A reservist to parade in the US, yes.

Don't ask me the particulars, but I know it can be requested.

rog101 said:
Hello, I am a Ccanadian combat engineer reservist, my wife has an awsome job offer in St. Louis, am I able to get attached to the American military ?

RESERVE FORCES FOREIGN SERVICE ARRANGEMENT
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-for-members-reservists/foreign-service-agreements.page

CAN Reservists serving overseas (merged thread)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/58217/post-1179622#msg1179622
See Reply #39, 40 ... and those following for discussion of RFFSA.

I don't know if it's possible, but I do know that the U.S. Army Engineer School is only two hrs away from St. Louis at Fort Leonard Wood, MO but maybe you already knew that. I believe the CA has one or two officers there (Capt/Maj) either on exchange or as LNOs.

The Missouri National Guard's 35th Engineer Brigade is at Ft Leonard Wood.

http://www.moguard.com/thirty-fifth-engineer-brigade.html

I'm a Jr Officer in the CAR Armoured Reserve and wondering if it's possible to do an exchange with the Brits while I'm there studying or working for a couple years? Does anyone have any experience or references on something like this?

Thank-you in advance!

edit for clarity

There is a thread somewhere on this Site that discusses this.

See also,

Reserve Force Foreign Service Arrangements ( RFFSA )
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-for-members-reservists/foreign-service-agreements.page
The Reserve Force Foreign Service Arrangements (RFFSA) are a series of Memorandums of Understanding (MOU) between Canada and other countries with similar Reserve Force structures.

Back