• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Co-op enrollment 2018-current

compton194

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm in Grade 11 and wanted to get into a Canadian Forces co-op that my school was offering. In order to be accepted, everyone had to pass the CFAT. I failed twice, having a weakness in the problem solving section.

While my ignorance and lack of serious preparation isn't an excuse, I was never told that we only got three attempts in life to pass this test. Many more kids from my area are in the same predicament that I'm in and the future career I wish to pursue is now in jeopardy.

While I plan to take years to prepare for my final attempt, is there any way that my previous failures could be nullified as I was not of legal age to serve at the time?

Don't quote me on this but I believe you must wait the mandatory 6 months (Again, don't quote me on it) before you retake it. Also, I'm fairly sure you have to be 16 years old to take the CFAT in the first place you might want to talk to your recruiter about that. This would also go well in the CFAT thread.

compton194 said:
I'm in Grade 11 and wanted to get into a Canadian Forces co-op that my school was offering. In order to be accepted, everyone had to pass the CFAT. I failed twice, having a weakness in the problem solving section.

While my ignorance and lack of serious preparation isn't an excuse, I was never told that we only got three attempts in life to pass this test. Many more kids from my area are in the same predicament that I'm in and the future career I wish to pursue is now in jeopardy.

While I plan to take years to prepare for my final attempt, is there any way that my previous failures could be nullified as I was not of legal age to serve at the time?

Short answer no. 
The policy is set up for a maximum of 3 attempts at the CFAT.
Although you are stating you were not of legal age to serve, I'm not sure what you mean by that. 
All Reserve Force members must be 16 years of age to be enrolled into the CAF (this is only as a PRes member who is also enrolled as a full-time high school student). 
Anyone under the age of 18 requires parental/guardian consent to go through the enrollment process to join the CAF; so to write the CFAT your parent/guardian would have had to agree on your behalf; as such your previous 2 attempts stand.

Edit Note: Although this is a CFAT style question; being that it's centered around co-op I'm going to leave it in this thread so that others interested in the co-op  program understand the importance of completing the CFAT to the best of your ability right from the first attempt.

Not sure if this has occurred in other parts of the country, if it hasn't I believe that it should be strongly looked into.  I think that from reading this article it was a resounding success and will hopefully continue and expand going forward.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/one-of-a-kind-navy-co-op-program-graduates-first-class-of-students

Hat's off to those who made this happen.

The Army Reserve has done a variety of co-op programs over the past twenty years or so.

It requires negotiations with local school boards, but can be an effective recruiting tool.

BZ HUN and proud recruits, looking sharp.

Czech_pivo said:
Not sure if this has occurred in other parts of the country

Yes, some other Naval Reserve Divisions also have similar programmes.

Czech_pivo said:
Not sure if this has occurred in other parts of the country, if it hasn't I believe that it should be strongly looked into.  I think that from reading this article it was a resounding success and will hopefully continue and expand going forward.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/one-of-a-kind-navy-co-op-program-graduates-first-class-of-students

Hat's off to those who made this happen.

Congrats to HUN - now the question is how long will the 19 pers hang around? 

Co-op program isn't a panacea and location has a big factor (Southern Ontario has fuckload of pers biting at the bit to get it in and the economy there is hot (i.e. senior rank Class A viability is high), PVO, HUN, STA, YOR, CAT, CAR have it easy) - versus my location (YQT - economic vacuum that limits the Class A viability to those in post-secondary - eventually they go RegF like I did, or get out);

dapaterson said:
The Army Reserve has done a variety of co-op programs over the past twenty years or so.

It requires negotiations with local school boards, but can be an effective recruiting tool.

Very true and generally effective for recruiting.  The downside is that a co-op BMQ is significantly more expensive to run that a weekend BMQ during the school season and retention is about the same when both delivery methods are compared.

From the article, though, it appears that this BMQ was delivered in a manner far different from the traditional "Army" co-op model and more like an RST model. 

Back