• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve BMQ - 15 Nov '13

PrairieThunder said:
I doubt it'll be 0400.

First 2 weekends on mine we were up until 0130, with Sentry duty and reveille at 0530. As we progressed and started meeting timings and not getting jacked up as much we would be done training by 2200, 1hr 30min to clean, study, prep for morning. 2330 lights out and up at 0530 for PT. Sentries maintained at all times during the night (our Armoury is situated nearby a homeless shelter/drop-in rehab).

But, different divisions do different things.

On my course currently, we have to be up at the parade square ready to go at 0500, but obviously we go up at 0455. We all wake up at 0400 to shave, get ready especially if it's a ruck march. You are sure lucky for that extra 30 minutes I must say. Fire picket sucks when you have a shift from 2-3...

First weekend truly felt too easy to be true... wasnt told to do a single pushup.
The hardest part for me was to sleep beside the darn vending machine.
Met alot of good guys though super excited for next week.

it got a little more interesting this weekend... learned a lot of new stuff... while feeling sleep deprived.
Btw any tips on making these boots more comfortable to march in? any special insoles? or breaking in methods?

Msidd said:
it got a little more interesting this weekend... learned a lot of new stuff... while feeling sleep deprived.
Btw any tips on making these boots more comfortable to march in? any special insoles? or breaking in methods?

I filled mine with hot water and tromped around for a couple hours(I also have two pairs, so one stayed dry), although nothing works like just wearing the things.  Going grocery shopping, hiking, etc. 

I yanked out the original insoles and stick in a thin flat wool felt set(like the ones for the mukluks, but about a half cm) topped by ones you get fitted for on the Dr Scholls machine at Costco before BMQL.  That combined with Body Glide+foot powder kept me from getting a single blister or chafed spot. 

lol im getting a feeling youre pulling my leg with this extra wool felt stuff... thats intense.

Messorius said:
I filled mine with hot water and tromped around for a couple hours(I also have two pairs, so one stayed dry), although nothing works like just wearing the things.  Going grocery shopping, hiking, etc. 

I yanked out the original insoles and stick in a thin flat wool felt set(like the ones for the mukluks, but about a half cm) topped by ones you get fitted for on the Dr Scholls machine at Costco before BMQL.  That combined with Body Glide+foot powder kept me from getting a single blister or chafed spot. 

Hello, how long is the bmq for reserve? I am currently doing it in Montreal, and they said 23 days, but is it counted as 2 and 1/2 day per weekend? or simply 2 days? And is it every other weekend or it always varies? I wasnt given this info yet and our next date starts Jan 10.
Cheers!

our course is 12 weekends long. each course weekend is counted as 2.5 days. it's every other weekend, except over the holiday season when we're on stand down. the three weekends dates before grad weekend are in the field.

[edit] forgot to add some details

sounds good, Ill confirm with my Sgt when possible in order to set up my school schedule for winter.

Cheers

xavier92 said:
Hello, how long is the bmq for reserve? I am currently doing it in Montreal, and they said 23 days, but is it counted as 2 and 1/2 day per weekend? or simply 2 days? And is it every other weekend or it always varies? I wasnt given this info yet and our next date starts Jan 10.
Cheers!

It is that damn new math.....Two weekends = 5 days.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but, does anyone have any details involving the MOC training for reserve armoured soldiers? The following is a quote from forces.ca:
Reserve Force members are trained to the same level as their Regular Force counterparts. They usually begin training with their home unit to ensure that they meet the required basic professional military standards. Following basic training, Army recruits train for the soldier qualification for approximately one month and then Armoured Soldiers attend the Combat Training Centre in Gagetown, New Brunswick for 11 weeks to achieve their occupational qualification.
The bold/underlined part is what concerns me. I am still in HS, and only get 8-10 weeks of summer vacation. Can I begin MOC training in the summer that I do SQ, then finish the rest (about 7 wks) the next year? Or will I have to miss school in order to complete the last 1-3 wks of MOC training? Or is forces.ca outdated on this front as it is on many others? Thanks.
Edit: Forgot something.

CF-Hopeful13 said:
... I am still in HS, and only get 8-10 weeks of summer vacation. Can I begin MOC training in the summer that I do SQ, then finish the rest (about 7 wks) the next year? Or will I have to miss school in order to complete the last 1-3 wks of MOC training? Or is forces.ca outdated on this front as it is on many others? Thanks.

These courses were recently combined and split up again... now they are called DP1.1 and DP1.2  Each is about 4 weeks long and if your hands are tied due to school, you could split them up. I know guys who did 1.1 last summer and will be doing 1.2 coming summer.

Msidd said:
These courses were recently combined and split up again... now they are called DP1.1 and DP1.2  Each is about 4 weeks long and if your hands are tied due to school, you could split them up. I know guys who did 1.1 last summer and will be doing 1.2 coming summer.
Alright, awesome. Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Msidd said:
lol im getting a feeling youre pulling my leg with this extra wool felt stuff... thats intense.

Cpl at my unit told me to try it, I did, it worked.  Up to you what you want to do for your own feet. 

CF-Hopeful13 said:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but, does anyone have any details involving the MOC training for reserve armoured soldiers? The following is a quote from forces.ca: The bold/underlined part is what concerns me. I am still in HS, and only get 8-10 weeks of summer vacation. Can I begin MOC training in the summer that I do SQ, then finish the rest (about 7 wks) the next year? Or will I have to miss school in order to complete the last 1-3 wks of MOC training? Or is forces.ca outdated on this front as it is on many others? Thanks.

You'll do your training at an area training center (for Amoured soldiers in LFCA training was in Meaford for example) The course was a month long when I did it 5 years ago. Now they have DP 2 combined as well so the course is about 2 months long (give or take)

Sorry to go off topic from the main thread, but when bringing civilian items such as clothing and hygiene kit, do I put in a separate civilian bag or simply within the duffle bag?

Thank you!

xavier92 said:
Sorry to go off topic from the main thread, but when bringing civilian items such as clothing and hygiene kit, do I put in a separate civilian bag or simply within the duffle bag?

Thank you!

You put everything inside the duffel bag you're issued, as they stated that you can't bring personal bags anymore.

Back