• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve as summer job

chrisispoop

Inactive
Reaction score
ive tried searching the forums before i posted this so i wouldnt make a repost on a similar topic. i didnt find anything so i made this. apologies if i did make a double post.

deep down ive always loved the army ever since i was a little boy. Now im going to grade 12 next year and ive been thinking heavily about it. i cant stop thinking that its the perfect job for me.

Anyways, i have been thinkin about joining the reserves next summer as infantry. I was wondering if i could synchronize all the steps to becoming accepted (CFAT, medical.. etc..) so that my training starts when summer begins. If i was to do this, when should i initially visit the recruiting center to begin? I am already physically fit and i am confident that i could get it.  . However, i would like to take advantage of the army paying for my education later on and that is why i only want to be reservist... for now. So basically, for the summer, could i work long hard hours (40 hours a week) as if it where a full time job or would i have to be a full time soldier to do this.? And when school starts, would i only work weekends and be interupted by the semi-annual two week training. or would i only get to go to school when the enlistment contract expires.

kinda confused here, plz help. thx.  :salute:

Most units have a winter BMQ course that begins in February so if you are looking to sign up for the summer of '08, you can begin the application process in January or February. Now, having said that, some things can take longer than expected and your file can be held up especially if the recruiting centre is busy with other priorities. If you are fortunate, you can start parading well before your BMQ date and have a head start on things for the summer. You may find however, that you will want to go on course with your buddies.

Honestly, your best bet is to get a list of Infantry Units in your area from your local recruiting centre (unless you already know which one you want to join) and contact or visit them in September. (Very few are returning calls or sending out letters right now but I could be wrong.)

Good luck.

However, i would like to take advantage of the army paying for my education later on and that is why i only want to be reservist... for now
You might draw some heat for this comment. Just a head's up.

EDIT: Sorry I am in my 14th hour at work, I didn't notice your last name is "Ispoop". Do kids bug you about that?  ::)

thx for the info, just two things on my mind.

convincing parents  :(

and i cant start early b/c i still have school you see, and i cant start late b/c id have school also , once again another  :( is deserved.

also, what are the hours like as i mentioned? can i join reservist and ask for more hours?

ps: the ispoop is just a silly name, i actually get no complaints. lol

Chris,

Before anyone else steps in with a more blunt approach, a few words of advice.

Grammar, capitalization, etc., counts here.  While you may be a very good writer, it is not necessarily conveyed when suitable attention and effort isn't applied to the written word, which is a great part of how you are judged on line until people know you better.  Also, it's a valuable skill in the military or elsewhere, so we encourage attention to detail in written expression.

Secondly, nicknames are also taken at face value.  MikeG was pointing it out to let you know it's not necessarily going to be accepted without comment here.  You may wish to consider a change to help build your own credibility as a participant on the forums.

Thank you.

Army.ca Staff

Reservists usually work one evening per week, for my regiment it's from 7:00 to 10:00 every Tuesday, and one full weekend per month, which is usually late Friday evening to late Sunday afternoon. People in high school/college/university usually don't have a problem fulfilling their commitments to both school and their unit during the year.

Apologies Admin. And Conq, only that many hours? I'm not saying thats bad, its actually a very nice deal during school, but doesnt me provide enough hours during the summer. hmmmm

Not enough hours in the summer???

Read on ChrisK.

Going back to my humble Militia beginnings in Saskatchewan, during your summer training, you get paid even for your days off, and that might not be very many. They used to call it a route letter, and if you were away training or in support of training say from 01 Jun - 01 Sep, you got paid for each day in between that, and pay tax.

Don't expect to be working out of your local armoury either, you'll be away for the whole period at an area training establishment. Kiss you summers good-bye, but the mates you will make and the good time you'll have, well, you'll be back for another endless summer!

During the winter/off summer months, there are normally courses/camps over Christmas and Easter, and depending on what trade you go, one can get extra weekends supporting other local units in the field.

Hope that helps you out

I'm not saying thats bad, its actually a very nice deal during school, but doesnt me provide enough hours during the summer.
Don't worry - you'll get plenty of "hours" on course.  >:D  In the summer, you might be wishing for less hours.

can i join reservist and ask for more hours?
There are numerous Reservists working at my building 9-5, Mon-Fri in various positions.  If you are just looking for a few extra bucks, there are opportunities to volunteer for extra duties as well.

As for your parents, read this thread: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/49100.0.html or this one http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/64353.0.html

Basically Chris you'll be working part time from Mid September to May or possibly June with a Reserve unit.

You are to attend one training night a week and one weekend excercise a month. (except for December as Christmas holidays kick in)

When you are on course in the summer you'll find yourself quite busy.  Infantry can be a very demanding trade and long hours can be expected when on course.  Mornings usually start at 5 am and end whenever your intructors feel like it.
How many hours you work in a day isn't relevant to what you make in the army.  You always get paid by a full day or a half day (less than 6 hours).

To become a fully qualified infantry soldier you will have to complete basic training, soldier qualification and basic infantry course.  That's three courses to do.  If you begin in the winter and get onto a part time basic training course then you can effectively get that course out of the way and get onto the really good stuff.  By the time summer rolls around you could find yourself going to battleschool for the more aggressive and interesting courses. IMHO.

In all honesty though I wouldn't worry about reserve service interfering with your studies.  I joined at 16 when I was just going into grade 11 and I've been able to meet my commitments quite well.  I'd say if it's what you want to do then go for it.  Just stick it out and it'll be a great experience.

I did 3 years of college while in the Reserves.  That included taking "taskings" (jobs, if you will) at the Spring and Summer battle schools as an Instructor...busy?  Sure.

But it was worth it.

My 2 cents.

Thanks a lot everyone for the help. I am a step closer to getting on the right path. Im glad theres a place such as this that helps people get the information they need. If you have more to say though, im listening, I'll be with this post until the end.

ChrisK said:
So basically, for the summer, could i work long hard hours (40 hours a week)

I remember when I was in high school, working 40 hours was alot. Then you quickly discover, the working day can get much longer. I'm sure there's a few people on here that work 10,12,14,16 hours a day. And for some, much longer.

Back