• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Researchers create Part-human, Part-pig embryos to grow Human Organs

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
...Human organs for future transplants.

Why do I have a feeling this may spark more wild theories from the tin foil blogosphere about pigs born with human brains who may rise up one day to overthrow humanity..."The Planet of the Pigs"?  ;D

International Business Times

US Researchers Create Part Human, Part Pig Embryos In Effort To Grow Human Organs For Transplant
By Avaneesh Pandey @avaneeshp88 On 06/06/16 AT 2:27 AM

Scientists in the United States have successfully created part human, part pig embryos, the BBC, which was given exclusive access to the University of California, Davis’ research, reported Monday. The experiment, which created “chimeras” — pig embryos embedded human stem cells — was part of the researchers’ efforts to grow human organs inside pigs.

The researchers allowed the chimeric embryos to mature inside pigs for 28 days, before terminating the pregnancies and analyzing the tissues. They concluded that if the embryos had grown further, the pigs born would look and behave like any other, but would have one organ that would be composed of human cells — in this particular case, the pancreas.

“Our hope is that this pig embryo will develop normally but the pancreas will be made almost exclusively out of human cells and could be compatible with a patient for transplantation,” reproductive biologist Pablo Ross, who is leading the research, told the BBC’s Panorama program.

(...SNIPPED)

Part pig, part human... it's wrong to be using sailors for medical experiments.

Gives a new meaning to the "long pork".

It is also unnecessary, since stem cells are already present in your own body and can be harvested and manipulated without chimeras, embryonic stem cells or anything else for that matter. Two possible avenues of approach being researched are implanting the harvested stem cells in the damaged organ to regrow as new, healthy tissue, or to use manipulated stem cells in a 3D printer (with some sort of scaffolding) to make ready made organs.

So, I wonder how many Muslims will choose life over religion if they need a transplant and the only one available is the human/ hog scenario?

I read a story elsewhere that mentioned some scientists are growing ears using apples as the building blocks.

recceguy said:
So, I wonder how many Muslims will choose life over religion if they need a transplant and the only one available is the human/ hog scenario?
Or Jews?

Back