• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Request your reaction to new website

Penny

Inactive
Reaction score
This looks new. The  Veterans of Canada Corporation.  http://www.veteransofcanada.ca/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

I'm not sure what to make of this corporation.  According to the home page they support Veterans and Reservists with job opportunities.
This sounds like a good thing. As does the GM credit card giving you $500 towards the purchase of a car.

But how come I've never heard of this before? I searched through the forum for related terms and didn't find anything. So maybe it's new. Don't know.
Anything that helps or raises awareness of Canadian Veterans is something I'd support.

I have learned that this forum is a great place to ask questions because of the wealth of knowledge here.
So I'm wondering - Have you heard of this company before? And if you have, what was your reaction to what they are doing?

Penny said:
... As does the GM credit card giving you $500 towards the purchase of a car...

Actually, it's not the card that gives the $500 discount. It is a GM program.

As for the website, it is not new (see bottom (c)2006), but I have never seen it before. Without being a member, I can not comment on the information contained as it appears that to access the job fair section and other sections, you must be a member.

211RadOp said:
Actually, it's not the card that gives the $500 discount. It is a GM program.

The GM visa gives you points for purchases that you can used to get a discount on a new GM car.

i got  a bad feeling about this one. why would they require personal info such as service #, unit,  rank and year of enrollment? why dont i just hand over my sin # and visas too  ::) ? does this strike anyone as strange?

They certainly appeared bone fide up to that point. I am reluctant to give that much personal info without further knowledge of the group. I admit that they seem to have a fairly good advisory panel, but I'm still leery.

I'm with Brat why would they need your SN#/unit/rank/year of enrollment, something to me doesn't smell right.

From a web perspective, the enrollment/registration page does not use https... I would be very wary of submitting anything on an un-secure page....

From Google:

VETERANSOFCANADA.CA - HomeDISCLAIMER – VETERANSOFCANADA.CA Incorporated – BN 83787 3728 is a Corporation and NOT an agency of the Government of Canada.www.veteransofcanada.ca/ - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

As they are not a government agency, you shouldn't be sending them any of your Service particulars. 

Internet Security Folks.

People are paid incentives of various types by foreign governments to find out what and who you are.  They spend hours, days, weeks, and years creating files on potential "weak links" in our Security.  Are you one of those weak links?

Thanks everyone, good points all around.

I am also reluctant to give up personal information. It just doesn't sit comfortably. I have to ask - why would they need it?
On the other hand, the list of advisors looks good. Why would someone put years of service and reputation on the line if they didn't believe in the positive benefits?

Please let me know if you learn more.

Out of curiosity I did contact these people yesterday by telephone.  The chap I spoke with is an ex-MSE OP.  He claims that the organization is wanting to provide a go between "members" who are persons who are presently serving or have served in a uniformed capacity in Canada, (ie. military, police, fire service etc) and businesses that wish to offer discounts for their services.  The information they collect is intended for verification purposes and not offered to outside sources.  They claim to have a high ratio of police officers as members at present and do have the backing of veteran's outfits such as the RCMP Veterans Assn., Air Force Veteran's Assn  and the like.

The guy was not aware that service numbers were considered designated.  He said that the last three of your SIN would do instead.  I was quite blunt to him and said that the general feeling I caught here was that they may be somewhat dodgy.  He did not get offended by the remarks and said that they were just looking for getting discounts from business for their members.  I talked with the him for 10 min or so and honestly did not get bad vibes off of him.  So I guess at the end of the day it will be up to each individual to make up their own mind.

I am always leery of any company that fails to identify its executive members, but at least there is an address and phone number, which (if current and valid) gives the site more credibility.... 

http://veteransofcanada.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=64

FOUNDING BOARD OF ADVISERS

Mr. John Melbourne
President, Air Force Association of Canada 

L/Col (Ret'd) Tom Doucette CD
Director, Military Museums

Major (Ret'd) CJ Wallace CD
National Vice-President, The CAV 

Inspector Hugh Muir
Stellarton, NS Police Service

Mr. Donald J. Leonardo, CD
Co-Founder / Chief Executive Officer VETERANSOFCANADA.CA
Board Member - Foundation for Canadian Heroes

Ms. M. Jane Myden
Co-Founder
VETERANSOFCANADA.CA
Chairman of the Board - Foundation for Canadian Heroes

And there's your credibility.  Unusual that they have their board members listed under "Charitable Initiatives"... most sites have them under their own heading...

Thank you all for your comments and advice about http://veteransofcanada.ca website.

Firstly there are two programs that are available from GM -

A) a $500 discount as part of the Canadian Forces Appreciation Program that has now been extended to February 2009 for all active and retired military. and,
B) The GM Visa promotion with http://veteransofcanada.ca that gives a 6% return instead of the usual 3% on every dollar of purchases.  This can then be put towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle.

Secondly thank you for the suggestion on the security of the website, we have now installed the security certificate. (https:)

Sincerely,

Donald J. Leonardo CD.
Veteran / Co-founder / Chief Executive Officer
VETERANSOFCANADA.CA
Toll free: (888) 210-HERO (4376) Tel: (403) 697-8629 / Fax: (403) 697-8639
don@veteransofcanada.ca

I viewed the website (never registered...yet...) but i'm still kind of unclear as to the site and enrollment benefits - I realize there is a section titled "Benefits of Membership", but still, i'm not quite clear.  Do I get special discounts at businesses across Canada?  Do I get looked at in a more favorable light when I apply for a loan?  Is there a cost for any of these "benefits"?

Hi BINRAT

This is from the front page hope it answers your questions (Bold)

FREE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP REGISTER NOW

Join today and start taking advantage of the promotions and discounts our Business Partners have to offer. Visit our Member Listings or add one of your own. Looking for work? Are you a reservist? Releasing from the CF? Looking for a career change? Check out the Job Fair for employment opportunities or visit the Learning Centre for training or educational programs listed by participating Business Partners and Educational Institutions. The Community of course is the place to post your profile and interact with other members. All this and more for FREE!

Back