• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the M109s

Korus

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Does anybody know what the M109s are being replaced with? I vaguely remember somthing about the CAESAR ( http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/caesar.htm ). Can anyone confirm or deny this?

[Edited for Spelling]

Ahhh... those were the days.... hours on end, doing "Detachment Front", "Detachment Rear", "Mount".. blah blah blah.. at the K Lines. I kind of enjoyed the 109.

Well I guess your luckier than I. In a little over 10 years I did‘nt even get to see the insides of one. L5+C1‘s only. Just curious, was there a punishment piece? [ie. running with the towing eye of the L-5]

What are we thinking? Is that monster even armoured? Why don‘t we buy something heavy,yet mobile that can actually withstand more than a slingshot hit? Lets stick with something hardcore, similar to the M-109, or actually build something CANADIAN!

Well, once again I‘m not sure if the CAESAR was chosen as the replacment, that was my question.. :)
But it would fit in with a restructure of the CF to make if more of a quick reaction force..

"Compared with other self-propelled artillery systems, it has greater strategic mobility, has a maximum road range of 600 km, and can be rapidly deployed to a far off theatre of operations by transport aircraft such as the C130 Hercules. "
-- FAS
here‘s another, more descriptive website..
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/caesar/index.html

I can‘t recall a punishment piece - maybe I was just good ;-) I do remember "Mr. Handspike" though lol My first exposure to the M109 was a Regular Force Det 2 I/C Course, in CFBG around 1985, methinks.

I heard a rumor (I did some gateshifts overseas with a MBmr, so this is my info source) that Canada was looking to the South African G-6 (Which looks pretty squared away at FAS.org). Also, alot of talk about something being jammed onto a LAV-3 chassis?

The G6 would be a great piece of kit, except that we can‘t stuff one into a C-130. A C-17 or A-400M could handle it fine, of course. . . .

Instead of putting a 105 mm on top of a LAV-3, I‘d rather see us just buy the Rooikat , but since it‘s South African, too heavy, not a LAV-3 and already in production/service I guess it‘s disqualified. Go figure.

I, personally, love the look of the G6.. It just so darn... neat.. :)

I want to get me some in 1:300 scale for my wargamming.

One of the systems that we have looked at is the MOBAT SP 105 mm.
http://www.jed.simonides.org/artillery/mike/misc/mobat/mobat-intro.html

http://www.rdmt.nl/defenceengineering/index2.htm?mobat.htm

In all honesty, I don‘t think anyone has about a replacement other then mothballing the 109.

What we need is a 155 for heavier longer range support (weight of fire), and a 105 for closer direct support (speed of fire). MLRs would be nice for CB (but a pipe dream).

Tracked are gone so that leaves either wheeled or towed. Wheeled are nice, but heavier and more expensive. And anyway, I think a wheeled 105 a waste of money because you can get light wieght towed 105s.

The C3 is already in place, so that‘s is probably the way we wil go (or stay). However, the British Light Gun or US M101 would be perfect for 105s.They are light weight, 6400 mils travesable, and transportable. And there is no change in ammunition.

For 155, the one that makes the most sense is the American M198 in service now. Unfotunatly it is towed, but budget restraints would force us down this route. The best option for wheeled, I think is the South African G6, but purchase costs rule this out.

In the end, the cutting of the M109 is to save costs, and nobody has looked at the cost/benfit of purchasing a new 155 system. So in the end you will probaly see a mixture of 105 and 81mm motars in keeping with our peacekeeping and cost saving image.

I heard ( from high up ) we were selling our 155mm ammo, so I doubt were picking up anything that uses that 155 ammunition.

Bugger you Herbies.
I‘ve lost enough sleep over the year‘s when we Thumper Head‘s have been in a hide and yous lot come in and wake up the whole neighbourhood! :mad: ;) :)

But on a serious note why don‘t we buy the Brit. version that come‘s with a range of 25+k.,45k+ model‘s.(has all the latest tech.)
I had a chance to see them in Sanski Most?in 97.
They were impresive.

We alway‘s need the GUN‘S!!! :salute:

We alway‘s need the GUN‘S!!!

Hmm, if we can just sell the politicians on this point. What the government wants us to do will determine what we need to accomplish it. The move away from tanks and medium artillery may or may not be a bad thing depending on what role the military will play in foreign policy. Hopefully the defence review next year will answer some of those questions.

Back