• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rename 97st to Heroes Boulevard? (Edmonton)

I would like to thank Dr. Crowell for his efforts to revisit an idea that I proposed to City Council, The Naming Committee and Edmonton Salutes Committee for a renaming of 97th Street in honour of those that have served the country especially those that gave their lives.

The message must have been heard by the right people this time as no one in the previous or current city government would even entertain the notion when it was first suggested. With media support this time it may come true and that would be a tremendous accomplishment.

As you can see below from my original submission I had suggested that 97 Street from Jasper Ave to the city limit be renamed “Veteran’s Memorial Trail” in recognition of Canada’s soldier’s commitment to the current mission in Afghanistan as well as service in UN missions, WWl, WWll, Korea etc.

I believe that “Veteran’s Memorial Trail” would honour those currently serving as well as those that have gone before as well as those that will follow in the future.

The name “Heroes Boulevard” to me is offensive in that it makes serious omissions as well as broad generalizations. A Veteran is by definition is a soldier that has served his country and should be recognized for this. A Hero is someone that has through selfless deeds proven him or herself to be out of the ordinary, acting above and beyond the call of duty. Are all that have served veterans? Yes. Are all that have served including the ones that have given their lives heroes? No.

The Queen recognizes heroism in Her Majesty’s Canadian Forces through an approved system of honours and awards. I don’t believe that she has relinquished that responsibility to anyone other than our Governor General.

It takes a special kind of person to become a soldier, that is the big decision. To follow orders without question, to go everywhere and anywhere the current government decides you should go is not heroic it is simply the life of a soldier.

There are soldiers that do not accept deployment and are quietly released from service. I know this as I have witnessed it first hand. I have done my two overseas tours to Croatia and Bosnia, did all that was asked and came back alive. Am I a hero for simply doing what was asked of me? No, but I am a veteran.

When a senior travels down “Veteran’s Memorial Trail” they can feel that they are included, when I travel down the same street I can feel the same way. It is an unfortunate truth that dying for ones country is noble but not always heroic or necessary.

"Veteran's Memorial Trail" sounds like a very fitting name.  It will be identified by many who have travelled that route since the Base was first built, not just the current members who have recently seen Tours overseas.

I signed today. My comment:

I believe that Verteran's Memorial Trail would be more inclusive of all who have served. It is important to remember those who have served in other theatres, not just the current one. After all, "some gave all, all gave some".

andre63 said:
The name “Heroes Boulevard” to me is offensive

“Veteran’s Memorial Trail” 

Offensive I feel is the wrong choice of word, why not say there is simply a better choice.

Vet's Mem Trl sounds good.

I will be happy to see the road renamed with a name which reflects military service.

I too am a Vet, but not a hero by any means. Yes, and I was happy to return in one piece also. I see things differently now, or maybe just from another angle.

Did we do brave things? Well I really don't know, as they were the right things to do at the time, and later I have reflected that perhaps they were in fact stupid things, but stupid saved the day on many occasions.

Regards from yet another tropical spring day,

OWDU

Veteran's Memorial Trail.... I like it!

From all of us to all of you.... Thank you André63

:cdn:
Honestly I mean no disrespect to our fine troops but this renaming of streets is getting a bit too much. Sooner or latter we're all going to wake up in a town that was navigable with numbers but succumb to names.  It's my opinion that any and all named areas should stay off of the streets in a City with a great grid system going  for it. Why don't we honour them by dedicating a park or a homeless shelter or a school, not renaming a major artery.  No...this is an absurd idea and all other naming projects have been as well! ;)

Ever notice how everything before the words "but" or "however" is a lie?  ;)

Kat Stevens said:
Ever notice how everything before the words "but" or "however" is a lie?   ;)

Ummm... like "butt-ugly"?  >:D

monkeymirror said:
Honestly I mean no disrespect to our fine troops but this renaming of streets is getting a bit too much.

Sooo, do you realize this is mostly a bunch our fine troops here?  How is that not being disrespectful? 
Sooo, are you saying you would get lost if the streets have names instead of numbers?
No disrespect, BUT, that says a lot about you!   ::)

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
Sooo, do you realize this is mostly a bunch our fine troops here?  How is that not being disrespectful? 
Sooo, are you saying you would get lost if the streets have names instead of numbers?
No disrespect, BUT, that says a lot about you!   ::)

- Actually, Edmonton HAD a good grid pattern set up. They picked a crossroads SE of the town, waaay out, and numbered the streets going to the West and the avenues towards the North.  Two problems.  One: After 100 years, Edmonton now has 750,000 people and has spread past 'waay out' so that we now not only live in the NW Quadrant, but in the others as well, hence "12564 142 Ave NW" signifies that the address is in the NW quadrant.  Two: Any good idea taken past it's logical conclusion rapidly becomes a bad idea - Grid pattern numbering of streets/avenues only works well if they are STRAIGHT.  Once a section (1 Mile X 1 Mile) is developed into a bunch of squigglyworm subdivisions, you go crazy following one route as it's name changes ten times as it curves north or west.

But, I agree that straight roads should follow the grid pattern numbering system.

monkeymirror said:
...renaming of streets is getting a bit too much. Sooner or latter we're all going to wake up in a town that was navigable with numbers but succumb to names.  It's my opinion that any and all named areas should stay off of the streets in a City with a great grid system going  for it. Why don't we honour them by dedicating a park or a homeless shelter or a school, not renaming a major artery.  No...this is an absurd idea and all other naming projects have been as well! ;)

Good gawd! I nearly fell off my chair when I read this!

Talk about being petty, worrying about names vs numbers, while a war rages, this guy comed up with this.

I am not offended, just disgusted.

I guess it takes all kinds to make our world turn  ::)

We all have opinions I guess, incudling this person.  Monkey, I hope you sleep well tonight.

OWDU

So the new named roads are hard to navigate, that is not what we are talking about here. Does anybody get lost on Whyte, Argyll, Norwood Blvd? Probably not as these "named" streets also have numbers. Mailing addresses could continue to be same so that businesses do not have to change their advertising or letterheads. Some people would still call it by the old name (but the signage would state one or both names). Might take a while but I think the new name would catch on, especially if media outlets use only the new name.

Name changes can be done gradualy.
When Montreal changed Dorchester Blvd to René Lévesque Blvd, the city admin "miffed" the admin of Westmount & Montreal East.
End state..... 30 years later - it's still Dorchester @ both ends and René Levesque in the middle.... and it's still easy to navigate.

When I lived up in Sept Iles QC, they had north/south arteries numbered & east/west arteries named (Arnaud, Brochu, Dequen,etc)
trouble is.... what do you do when you get to Zulu & what do you do when you decide to build east of 1st ...

I think it is a good thing when the people of a city decide to honour one of OR a group of it's own.

Back