• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remustering as an NCM...suggestions?

RorerQuaalude

Inactive
Reaction score
After a few weekends of Res. Officer's Basic, I'm starting to thing that at this point I might not be ready to be an officer (i.e. command a platoon). It's not that I don't like what the army's about, in fact I quite like it. I find the military way of life gratifying as hell, it hasn't been too pleasant nor fun so far, but it has been gratifying. I'm definitely not going to quit or give up, I've made myself sure of that, but I have been considering, for some time now, that I might want to remuster as an NCM. I noticed that the candidate on my course that's the most 'With it' and overall the best candidate served time as an NCM previous to applying as an officer. I figure, based on how much I've been screwing up (I'm the worst candidate on the course, with absoultely no doubt, and that's no bulls*it) if I remuster as an NCM and work my way up through a few years of being an NCM, and learn the ropes from the bottom, I'll end up being a potentially far better officer. Right now, I really have doubts if I could ever lead a platoon. Also, remustering could allow me to pursue some time in the trade I most wanted, which was a Medic. I find that trade to be both incredibly interesting and noble. I've also noticed a much stronger sense of comraderie and cohesion amongst NCM's, which I see as absplutely essential.  I've been putting a lot of thought and consideration into this, and have been for a long time. I'm aware that the basic training phases for NCM's and officers are essentially similar (save for the leadership week). Does anyone have any suggestions? Bear in mind that some day I'd really like to have a commission, but at this point, doubt my readiness.

Pure curiosity... and also maybe to help you think:

Why do you want a commission if you don't think you would ever be ready to lead a platoon?
What did you say to convince the recruiting staff that got you an offer... and how is it different now?

As an aside... it may not be the best place for you... the best "fit" as it were... but adversity also builds character... and from what I remember, the first few weeks of any basic course is very, well.. basic, and getting your head out of the civvy gutter and into the mil one :)

Have you talked to your cadre about this?

It's not that I don't want a commission, it's just that I think I'd make a far better leader if I served as an NCM for a while and 'got my lumps' as Heinlein would have said. I'd absolutely love to lead a platoon some day, but it's in my deepest opinion that I'd be the best leader possible if I understood things in the perspective of those under my command. As it said in the topic 'Up from the Ranks!' a greater sense of cohesion and respect would be present for an officer who's marched in the boots of a Pte. . It would also allow me to better understand the strategy of platoon leadership on a more individual basis (i.e. understanding the dynamics of a section attack by actually serving time as a Pte. in a section). As for remustering and becoming a Medic, that's essentially me wanting to pursue at least some time in a career I'm interested in. I really feel I'd be getting the most out of the military if I did so.

Wait until you finish Basic Officer and see if you still feel the same way.
Regardless of how terrible you think you are, you'll know more about what you want by the time your finished.
Now is probably not the time to be thinking about this, now get to practicing and studying.

Regarding the officer cadet with previous time as a NCM, of course he's got his stuff together, he's already done it before... don't assume that because you have time in as an NCM that you'll make a better officer. Yes, there are plenty of excellent officers that have been comissioned from the ranks, but there are also plenty of excellent officers that were never NCMs. A bad officer will be a bad officer regardless.

I know an individual who I'm not going to name, but while on basic training, they claimed that in a couple of years, they were going to go for their comission, and because of their experience as NCM, and because they had been in cadets, they were going to make a great officer. On the other hand, this person was lazy, uncooperative, and had terrible self motivation/discipline.   The general consensus that it was easier to ignore him while he ran around trying to tell people what to do without doing any work himself, rather then try to make him do work. Now, do you think this person would make a good officer?

Follow the CF principles of leadership, and you should do well. Two of my particular favourites are achieve personal competence, and lead by example.

I agree, finish the course before you decide anything. Being an officer, WO, NCO or NCM you will still have to take your lumps, that is the way it is supposed to happen.

SHARP WO

Another question: how hard is it to change your MOC? Like, what if you sign up as an NCM, but you don't like your MOC, is it easy to change or transfer?

Changing MOCs in the Reserves requires that your unit, or another, has an opening for a soldier in that new MOC. You may also be subject to assessment by a Personnel Selection Officer (PSO) to confirm your suitability for the new trade. It can be initiated by consulting with the unit(s) to establish if a transfer would be approved by the COs. Start by talking to the Orderly Room Chief Clerks regarding the process.

In the Regular Force, changing MOCs requires that you apply for Trade Reassignment in accordance with CFAO 11-12 -- OCCUPATION TRANSFER OF NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS REGULAR FORCE (http://www.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/011-12_e.asp) . The desired tade will need to ne "open" to transfers in, as well as your current trade being "open" for transfers out. the process will include assessment by the PSO as well as support from your chain of command. Most trades hold periodic boards to assess requesting applicants against the number of positons they are looking to fill from occupation transfers. It is not unusual for some soldiers to wait years and reapply every year to get into desired trades.

Regarding multiple MOCs, no, you only have a single MOC at any one time.

Just a Sig Op said:
Follow the CF principles of leadership, and you should do well. Two of my particular favourites are achieve personal competence, and lead by example.

Last time i checked its was "Acheive PROFESSIONAL competence".......

Aesop, you're right on that.........Officers and NCO's do not quit. If you quit in training, you will quit on the battlefield and then you will be failing in your task to lead and motivate your troops. Adversity is part of the game. Better to have the DS boot you out for not having what it takes, than quitting when it gets hard.

My .02 cents.

TM

Take it from someone with experience, make sure you're 100% certain you're in the MOC you want to be in.
Changing MOC's is not particularly difficult, per se..but it is a headache (Nay, a migraine) where you have to have the patience of a buddhist monk.

Che said:
Take it from someone with experience, make sure you're 100% certain you're in the MOC you want to be in.
Changing MOC's is not particularly difficult, per se..but it is a headache (Nay, a migraine) where you have to have the patience of a buddhist monk.

I can attest to that......the whole process for me took over a year!  Its easier to transfer to cetain MOC's are they are bigger but in other cases ( as for aesop) some guys have applied for 5 years before they made it.  I went trough alot of ups and downs while waiting for the seletion board to anounce the results.

Mileender said:
Also... can you have more than one MOC?

Officially, no, you can't have two MOCs at the same time, but you will occasionally find people who are cross-trained, through a former MOC (I can think of one example off the top of my head, I met a cook with an armoured regiment who's a former armoured crew-man, still acts as an armoured crewman when not required as a cook), and somtimes you'll have people acting outside their MOC (Being tasked to work in supply or in transport is pretty common for all trades).

But no, don't expect to be able to do *all* the cool stuff by simply jumping MOCs (Personally, I want to blow somthing up, and I want to drive an HLVW. Working on both...)

Back