• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Relocation in the Regular Forces

armyguy1

Inactive
Reaction score
I read on the forces.ca website that you can expect to be relocated every couple of years.

What I am wondering is... Lets say I get accepted to the CF as an Infantry Officer and get placed with the Patricia's in lets just say Shilo Manitoba. Would my relocation be within the Patricia's to Edmonton? Or could I ended up serving for one of the other two Infantry regiments in Canada?

Also, does having a family affect this relocation? What if you have a wife and kids? If a relocation is necessary I understand the military would make it as painless as necessary for you, and the family. But is there ever situations where the family is fairly well routed into the community and you can become exempt from relocation's?

For career advancement you will be posted outside of the battalion/regiment,  this will happen regardless if you are single or married.  Postings could be to the Infantry School in Gagetown or to Brigade HQ, etc.

armyguy1 said:
But is there ever situations where the family is fairly well routed into the community and you can become exempt from relocation's?

And no, that will not happen.  However, you have the choice of going unaccompanied......at your own cost.

armyguy1 said:
does having a family affect this relocation?

No. You are the one with a CF career.

What if you have a wife and kids?

They move with you or they don't move with you. Either way, you will be moving during your career, multiple times.

But is there ever situations where the family is fairly well routed into the community and you can become exempt from relocation's?

Although some people seem to be luckier than others, there is no exemption from postings. Single folks have no great desire to move just because folks with families won't.

armyguy1 said:
Lets say I get accepted to the CF as an Infantry Officer and get placed with the Patricia's in lets just say Shilo Manitoba. Would my relocation be within the Patricia's to Edmonton? Or could I ended up serving for one of the other two Infantry regiments in Canada?

You could end up just about anywhere an infantry officer is employed. You could end up at NDHQ for example, in headquarters somewhere in Canada, a reserve unit wherever..........It's not because you are an infantry officer that all your postings will be in infantry units or even infantry-related jobs.

thank you all for your comments, it was very informative

Wasn't there a huge ass thread just a month or so ago about moving/postings/et al that took all this in?

Say you take a trade, can you get posted to a garrison? (after you complete your full training on a base of course)

That happens.

On completion of my first regimental tour, I was posted to another minor unit on the same base. Several of my contemporaries were posted to brigade and area HQ on the same base.

"You could end up just about anywhere an infantry officer is employed. You could end up at NDHQ for example, in headquarters somewhere in Canada, a reserve unit wherever..........It's not because you are an infantry officer that all your postings will be in infantry units or even infantry-related jobs."

I am wondering, why would a regular forces officer be posted at a reserves unit?

armyguy1 said:
"You could end up just about anywhere an infantry officer is employed. You could end up at NDHQ for example, in headquarters somewhere in Canada, a reserve unit wherever..........It's not because you are an infantry officer that all your postings will be in infantry units or even infantry-related jobs."

I am wondering, why would a regular forces officer be posted at a reserves unit?

Why not?

Invaluable knowledge continually flows from our Regular Force counterparts.

armyguy1 said:

Staff positions, etc.  It happens in the same way with Naval Reserve units (there's usually one Reg F MARS officer in each NRD, for example.)

armyguy1 said:

Each reserve unit has a small full time cadre, some of which will be reg force posted in to bring in some experience and expertise that is hard to build internally in the reserves.

My unit for instance has a reg force chief clerk, a reg force regimental quartermaster sergeant, a regular operations officer who doubles as our adjutant, and a WO and a Cpl as well.

Sometimes the regs will also use reserve units for compassionate postings- a good guy who has a kid who's in and out of hospital, for instance, might find himself posted to a reserve unit in Toronto.

GAP said:
Wasn't there a huge *** thread just a month or so ago about moving/postings/et al that took all this in?

Yup, and the will be another one in about a month.

Back