• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reliability Screening for Criminal Records delay

Manlord

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried to find information about this topic but without success. My question is not about if I could be hired but how long do I have to wait to get clearance.

My record is because I gave a false fact to the police about a fraud I got which was my fault. I have no more legal or court obligations.

I applied last year for the PFOR and my file has been sent in Ottawa in early June. I called a few times at the Recruiting Center but they have no information about my status. Now it is almost 1 year later (10 months) and got no news. The recruiting center can't even update my information (because 1 year later things change), one of my references died and I can't replace him.

This waiting is being stressful. How long should I expect to wait?

Manlord said:
How long should I expect to wait?

You may find some answers here.

Recruiting > Criminal Record (merged)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12896.0

Manlord said:
Hello,

I tried to find information about this topic but without success. My question is not about if I could be hired but how long do I have to wait to get clearance.

My record is because I gave a false fact to the police about a fraud I got which was my fault. I have no more legal or court obligations.

I applied last year for the PFOR and my file has been sent in Ottawa in early June. I called a few times at the Recruiting Center but they have no information about my status. Now it is almost 1 year later (10 months) and got no news. The recruiting center can't even update my information (because 1 year later things change), one of my references died and I can't replace him.

This waiting is being stressful. How long should I expect to wait?

There are a couple issues in this post that need to be addressed. Firstly, giving fraudulent information to a peace officer is a serious offense. The seriousness of the offense is dependent on the circumstances of the offense of course. But remember, the Recruiting Center see first and foremost the fact that the applicant has a criminal record based on fraudulent activity. However, that doesn't necessarily mean you are disqualified for being accepted. It does mean that your application will take more time to process. Be prepared to be asked some tough questions and provide honest and satisfactory answers. Those are my thoughts on that.

Second, I do not seem to understand why you cannot update your application. All people I know who have had to update their application have been able to do so at most stages of the application process. I would ask the recruiting center why they cannot update your application.

Lastly, you ask how long you will have to wait. Your biggest hurdle is your criminal record. Applicants with no criminal record and a very uncomplicated file are waiting up to a year right now. You would have to wait at the very minimum a year! No one can say the exact time of your waiting. Your best actions right now are to stay in contact with your recruiter to ensure at the very minimum your application is continually being processed. You don't want it to become static and doing nothing. Also, there are many threads about criminal records and processing...you need to look harder.
Best of Luck!

Just to go along with what Regman said, I dont have a criminal record, and Ive been waiting 1.5 years.

The only issue I had was failing the vision test and having to get eye surgery, which should have, realistically put my application on hold for 3 months. Due to that eye surgery, I missed selections for my trade by 2 weeks. I am now looking at another 6 month wait, minimum, simply because of issues with my file manager ive been having. 

Some applications go smoothly, like my husband. He applied and was off to BMQ 2 months later, whereas with me, Itll be 2 years before I go.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst :)

I've looked into this quite a bit as I have a record myself. I've got a few questions that may be useful depending on the answers.

1) You said you lied to a police officer "about" a fraud. Were you charged with fraud, obstructing police, or both?
2) How long ago did this offense occur? If It was prior to the "Omnibus" bill passing, you may still be elligible for a "pardon" assuming 3 years have passed if your case was proceeded on by the Crown as a summary case. If it was an indictment, it would be five years. It's now five years for any offense, and you get a "record suspension" instead of a pardon. This applies to you if you were convicted AFTER the bill passed into law.
3) Are there any things that make your application stand out? Are you well educated? Did you place first in a recent marathon? Are you a volunteer in your community? Could you get more references if they asked? Basically, are you able to prove that this was a mistake and explain yourself, or are you going to end up looking like this is something you do a lot? The nature of your offense leads me to believe any employer would  second guess/investigate your responses.

And this stuff can apply to any aplication for any job with any employer. In fact, I'm not able to offer any "forces related" advice since I'm not yet a member. Answer those questions to yourself if youre more comfortable, and keep those responses in your pocket for any job interview until you get a pardon/record suspension

Http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/100231/post-1221947.html#msg1221947.

Another thread which may be helpful ^^^

pointfiveoh said:
1) You said you lied to a police officer "about" a fraud. Were you charged with fraud, obstructing police, or both?
2) How long ago did this offense occur? If It was prior to the "Omnibus" bill passing, you may still be elligible for a "pardon" assuming 3 years have passed if your case was proceeded on by the Crown as a summary case. If it was an indictment, it would be five years. It's now five years for any offense, and you get a "record suspension" instead of a pardon. This applies to you if you were convicted AFTER the bill passed into law.

Thank you for your interest. As I have not been clear enough initially, I will answer to 1 and 2.

1.  At first I got charged for both the fraud and the lie, but as I didn't commit the fraud, the charge got pulled back and then I got convicted as a summary case for the lie (misdeed).

2. The offense occured in March 2008 and got convicted in December 2009.

I didnt know that I could be eligible for the old pardon. I will look into it.

Edit: After some research, I think it is too late to get the old pardon since you had to fill your request before a deadline that was somewhere in Q1-2 of 2012. In my case, I will have to wait until 2016 for my record to be suspended.

I had a "Youth" Record from when I was 15 years old for a few Aggravated Assaults and it took two years for my Status to finally come back positive.  First they wanted all my old court documents, letters from my probation officer and every program I was with while I was on probation and and a two professional references since the incident and a letter in my own words describing the entire situation  (For good measure I also send them a photocopy section of the criminal code that blatantly states that youth records cannot bu used to hinder employable by the military).  My status was then decided on my some captain in Borden and a small board.  This entire process took two years, I am sure then kept putting me on the bottom of the pile but I kept on them and so should you!  It shows interest and now all the guys at my local recruiting center know me by name and gave me a pat on the back after it finally came back approved. 

Back