• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Release for Failure to Meet Physical Fitness Standards

Transporter

Inactive
Reaction score
Under what release category is someone who fails to meet the physical fitness standards released from the CF? Under the terms of this release category, are they entitled to Severance Pay? If they were eligible for an immediate annuity at time of release, would there be any implications on pension?

Transporter said:
Under what release category is someone who fails to meet the physical fitness standards released from the CF? Under the terms of this release category, are they entitled to Severance Pay? If they were eligible for an immediate annuity at time of release, would there be any implications on pension?

My guess would be QR&O 15.01, Item "2.b." (Unsatisfactory Service  -  Unsatisfactory Performance.  ie; Who has the ability to improve but continues to display a lack of application or effort in the performance of his duties. (See Item 5(d) for cases where unsatisfactory performance is attributable to an inherent lack of ability or aptitude.)

As far as the impact on Severance Pay, I don't have access to my links at the moment, so can't comment until the a.m.  Off the top of my head, there shouldn't be any appreciable impact, except under an Item 1. release.

Thanks for the info.

I know that since Mar 12 we no longer accumulate severance pay to be used upon voluntary release or at retirement, but its my understanding that severance is still payable under certain release circumstances, equivalent to an amount payable for number of years served if opted not to take the PiL, or for the number of years served after taking the PiL. So I have been curious to know what would happen if say, for example, after 35 years of service, someone all of a sudden just happens to not be able to pass their PT test and is released accordingly. Would they get Severance Pay and would there be any implications for their pension? See where I'm going with this?

Entitlements under the CFSA are not linked to release items.

For severance, the rules are at: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-204-pay-policy-officers-ncms.page?#sec-204-40

204.40(7) (CFSP – Entitlement) A member is entitled – on the day before the member ceases to serve in the Regular Force or in the Primary Reserve – to CFSP unless

the release of the member under Item 1, 2, or 5(f) in the Table to QR&O article 15.01 (Release of Officers and Non-Commissioned Members) has been approved before that day and during the member's eligible service

Ok, I've read the ref about 10 times now and have to admit I have no clue what it means. If you understand it, what is your assessment relative to the example I provide above? Eligible for CFSP or not?

Thanks.

The ref states that you get CFSP unless you have a release item of 1, 2 or 5f.

Therefore, requesting release in advance (a 4 series release) may be beneficial if any 2 or 5f release is looming.

NOTE:  Do not take career advice from random people on the internet.  Speak with your chain of command and career manager for up to date, documented advice.

Internet_dog.jpg

Thanks, and copy all wrt the chain of command advice. This is not something that I'm considering, or is looming for me, just something I've been curious about, particularly since accumulation of severance ceased.

I just pm'd you a doggy bone.  ;D

DAA said:
My guess would be QR&O 15.01, Item "2.b." (Unsatisfactory Service  -  Unsatisfactory Performance.  ie; Who has the ability to improve but continues to display a lack of application or effort in the performance of his duties. (See Item 5(d) for cases where unsatisfactory performance is attributable to an inherent lack of ability or aptitude.)

No one would ever be released from the CF under Item 2 of QR&O 15.01 for failure to pass to pass a PT test.  It would be 5d or 5f, depending on the circumstances. 

Pusser said:
No one would ever be released from the CF under Item 2 of QR&O 15.01 for failure to pass to pass a PT test.  It would be 5d or 5f, depending on the circumstances.

You're probably right regarding the Item 2.B. category as that seems a bit too harsh, so a 5.F. would probably be more suitable given the wording "because of factors within his control"  which pretty much echoes the wording in DAOD 5023-2.

Back