• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Relax and Chill out!

kawal said:
I dont know how to swim,will that be a problem during my BMQ?thanks.
You'll have some PT sessions in the pool which will require swimming.

kawal said:

You're killing us man.

Take some fucking swim lessons and stop multi-posting.

I was just swimming with my 7 year old. I told her to hold her breath and showed her that she floats. You can do it too.

doerksen27 said:
easiest course i've ever had was bmq
Funny  my hardest course was BMQ. My Driver Wheel and Comms courses were coffee courses. Believe it or not my BIQ was done on weekends. The only course i had to go away for at any length was my SQ. I even done mods 1-5, but nothing has been as difficult as my first course.

kawal said:
jwtg said:
You'll have some PT sessions in the pool which will require swimming.

It's been a while since I taught at CFLRS, but in '06, there was no requirement to pass a swim test. I remember thinking that was more than a little ridculous, too. From your replie to kawal, I gather passing the swim test is mandatory once again?

I read a handful of the messages above - Recently Ive been day dreaming of 'getting the call' as Im just past the interview and am waiting for intake (which I understand should be happening this summer).

Im wondering if anyone has a "if i knew then what i know now..." story about basic training. You know? We all have 'em. Like, would marching or standing at attention be more comfortable with rinky-dink gel insoles from the grocery store? ... or .... thick socks? thin socks? ... ok that ones pretty dumb. How about compression shorts? I played a lot of competitive sports and always found it more comfortable with spandex under my uniform.

Being 28, Im pretty stable in regards to my state of mind - im not worried about failing or any other crap. But with the extremely boring job that I currently have.... this is what I day dream about. And believe me. I do a ton of day dreaming. So I invite you to share your "If i knew then..." story. Maybe it will help the new recruits in their future.... or maybe itll make us chuckle. Whatever.

(High Five!!)

Well here's my nickel worth of thought.

Seeing you are likely going to one of the older hands in your platoon...just hang back for a little while and resist the urge to provide "advice" to the kids. Let them make their own mistakes...it's good training and life experience for them.

Spandex is your friend.

Never miss an opportunity to keep quiet.

Never refuse help (even if they don't know what they're doing).

Natural leaders attract followers by the herd.

Never ever lie

Always admit your shortcomings

Look before you speak...thinking before will help as well.

I always have the same basic advice for BMQ:

Do what you are told, how you are told, when you are told.  Remember 'teamwork'. 

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Hey guys, I appreciate the information!! Im reporting to BMQ in August, then likely to Gagetown for the Artillery training.
Riding high on many different emotions - Looking forward to my lifes next adventure.

Do what Im told, when Im told, how Im told. Got it!
Also, I spoke to an old guy the other day that was M.P,,, I liked his advice of "eat the elephant one bite at a time"

Taking a deep breath, and just gonna go with the flow...
Wish us luck!

Thanks

paracowboy said:
This post hasn't even been up for a full day yet, and I've already gotten a few "Yeah, but"s, and "What if"s.
There are none.
Trust us, we've been doing this for a very long time, now. Over 100 years. We got a system an' everything.
Really.
It's an ancient system, dating back to the Greek Hoplites. Most of the bugs are worked out of it by now. Honest.
The CF wants you to become Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen. Your instructors want you to succeed. Your success is our success, and it makes the CF, and Canada as a whole, stronger. You will be shown everything you need to know.
All you have to do is show up, try hard, never quit, and look out for your buddies.
That's it.
Literally hundreds of thousands of people have gone through the same thing before you. They made it. It's not impossible.
You have questions. You have doubts. Good, it means you're not an idiot. Only an idiot would not have second thoughts and doubts. Only a fool doesn't experience trepidation and fear.
I won't lie to you. There will be difficult moments.
If it were easy, it wouldn't be worthwhile.
But, it's not as though you were being set up to fail.
Quite the contrary.
Don't sweat the small stuff. It doesn't matter if you can't iron, or can't do 1,000 push-ups. You will be taught and you will be built up. You will be brought up to the Standard.
Don't worry about whether you can bring this, eat that, or whatever else is preying on your mind. It will all be attended to. You will be given everything you need to succeed. The only thing you have to bring, the only thing that cannot be supplied, is the will to succeed.
All you have to do is show up, try your hardest, never quit, and help your buddies.
We'll take care of everything else.
I promise.

Now go for a run.

Of everything I have read on this site, as I prepare for my swear in and BMQ dates, the above mentioned is what reminded me... "Keep it simple my friend". From a "recruits" perspective it is very easy to get caught in the trap of worrying about the little useless things. This happens because we are trying to prepare ourselves as best as we can. I can tell you from my side. I am 31 years of age, husband and father of 3. The last 5 years have been hell dealing with lay off after lay off. Dealing with that for 5 years it is easy to not trust the unknown. The CF has certain "secrets" being a Civi and dealing with everyday "civi stuff" also puts you in the place of not trusting. But again in my place I am going to do it because I have the motivation to do it. Failure is not an option. I will be open and say I indeed have the drive to do it, but do I know what I am going into? Hell no! Would it even make it better if I knew? Probably not, it would actually probably make it worse. So for anyone else that is in the recruitment process. Good Luck to you all, stop worrying about YOU and start worrying about the guy in front of you (as the guy behind you is watching you and so fourth). I think personally it would be interesting to see that stats on the people I have read on here say "I think I will pass just fine" or "should make it" ....... It sound very, undecided. So I am just going to go, keep my mouth shut, do what I am told, help my neighbors to succeed and graduate. My name is Jason Culp, I am stoked to get my dates and here is hoping I will see you all on the other side! Good Luck to all and remember. KEEP IT SIMPLE MY FRIENDS!

Cheerio  :salute:

mrjasonc said:
[...]Good Luck to you all, stop worrying about YOU and start worrying about the guy in front of you (as the guy behind you is watching you and so fourth).[...]

My elders and peers always told me to "stop worrying about the others and start doing for yourself".  ::) :-\

Were your elders or peers in the military?

It's more, "sort yourself out (not look out for #1), then look after your buds." Looking out for others is not a wrong thing to do in the military.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Were your elders or peers in the military?

It's more, "sort yourself out (not look out for #1), then look after your buds." Looking out for others is not a wrong thing to do in the military.

Regards
G2G

Yes
And it goes without saying that I am referring to before enrollment - let every man skin his own skunk...

ERR said:
Yes
And it goes without saying that I am referring to before enrollment - let every man skin his own skunk...

I am referring to the fact that I did not come from a military back ground and am like the above stated have "sorted myself" out into choosing this lifestyle on behalf of and for the benefit of my own family. Yes a given is that before you can indeed look out for someone else you need to be sorted first. That being said, looking at what I do know about Basic Training (which given is not very much). The fact remains for example: that if you have your bunk done and ready to go for inspection early, and one of your team is falling behind, would it hurt you to help him/her? My point is teamwork and working together. It is ensuring that your team has a certain "gel" or "chemistry" regardless of how well you know each other. I would believe (and I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong by one of the above veterans) that, that would be one of the goals in the military way of life. You do not always get to choose your team, you never know who you will get paired up with or sent out on a deployment with. In the end you need to know where you need to be, this ensures your team knows where they need to be ..... again, it is keeping it simple ...

mrjasonc, you're tracking things right! :nod:

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
mrjasonc, you're tracking things right! :nod:

Regards
G2G

G2G, Thank you, helps my confidence a lot to know I am on the right track. I am certain that the instructors are "did NOT fall off the turnip truck yesterday" and sure as hell don't "look like a goat stuck in a snow storm" ... therefore one would assume they have a fairly good idea from the first day "who has got it" and "who does not". Integrity, character, ownership are apart of ones personality that CANNOT be taught. As those are qualities that you either have or you do not. Upper body strength, distance running, aiming, first aid, swimming and all other physical components can be worked on. Integrity, character and ownership you either have it or you don't. You either look for the easy way or you start digging. At the end of the day, I can only imagine what each instructor goes through to develop each CF Member whether Officer or NCM. I look forward to joining a TEAM and proving myself worthy of being a member of the Canadian Forces and making my Nation a safer place, and looking out for those less fortunate then us. One thing I pride myself with (and I am hoping that one day I am proven wrong with) is thus far no one has challenged me greater then I have challenged myself. So basic training ..... Let's see what you got. Last time I said the words "I quit" was when I quit smoking in the spring now that I actually think about it lol ......  :facepalm:

…and the RCAF badly needs more AVS Techs, particularly as newer fleets are avionics/automation heavy.

Keep us updated!

Well said Mcpl. I am in the process of getting back into the CF. Long story. Lets just say, I was in previously for a yr with no training at all & paperwork wasn't done correctly, lol. What does MCC stand for in the selection process?

paracowboy said:
I've posted this advice in any number of threads, but you guys still aren't getting it, so I'll try again.

RELAX.

You're getting yourselves all worked up and freaking yourselves out over stupid crap. How do I pass this? What happens if I fail that? How many people failed your Basic? Did they get shot? Are they dog food now? If I sprain a follicle, will I be re-coursed?

Your instructors are professionals who fully intend to see every one of you become little Privates in our special club, we got goin' here. If you show up reasonably fit, with the proper attitude, and LISTEN TO THEM, that is exactly what will happen. You will pass, and join our cheery ranks.

People, literally THOUSANDS of men and women have undergone this training before you. They have passed, and without this website to hold their hands, and give pep talks, and group hugs. Nobody sang "Kumbaya" with me when I got on the bus. My Dad shook my hand, said "Don't ever quit", and that was it. And I sit here, with looking down from the giddy height of MCpl. If I can do it, so can you.

Stop panicking, do your PT, and THAT'S IT. That's it. It's that friggin' simple! There's no need to read any secret books. There's no requirement to study before you go. Everything you will need to learn will be taught to you, with the necessary Standard demonstrated (and whatever "cheats" and "hints" are applicable).

Read my thread on Blisters, Shin Splints, and PT in the Training forum. It has several posts in it dealing with attitude. Now, for the sake of whatever Being you hold sacred (or profane, I'll swear by anything) RELAX.

Just some friendly advice. Feel free to ignore it. Most of you will, I'm sure.

Back