• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Relationships

What is your current relationship status?

• Single

Votes: 57 48.7%
  • Have a GF/BF

Votes: 29 24.8%
  • Married

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Divorced

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Big T

Inactive
Reaction score
And how easy is it to meet someone and maintain a healthy relationship while in the army?

Hey Big,

I've been with my girlfriend for over a year and we both decided on me going into the Army. We talked about EVERYTHING possible, pro's/con's, etc. I then applied and have waited for 8 months and am now leaving for BMQ on October 31st. So far from my view it has been a solid choice for the both of us. We went up and down throughout the whole wait about the choice to join but went back to the numerous discussions we had and how we came to this choice. Now that I am going she is more relaxed as she can see a solid future. Thats my experience from the application, testing, waiting process. Hope it helps!!

Although I'm not owned at the moment, I may still be able to contribute. I think that it depends on the individual far more than whether you're in the army. You'll have jerks both in the army and in civi life that don't know how to treat others, and those people will never have a good strong relationship. Then you've got really good, caring people that have people skills (and bowstaff skills, and drawing skills) both in the military and in civi life that can get along really well with the opposite sex (or same sex, if that's your thing...not that there's anything wrong with that). Certainly you'd have a tougher time with getting anywhere with hippie girls (or guys, if you like), due to the clash of beliefs, but that sort of thing isn't ONLY an army problem. Also, keeping a relationship may be a little more difficult because of the special demands of the job, being away for months at a time on tour, for example.

On the other hand, you may be more likely to get into a relationship because of the "I'm in the army" line. This sort of tactic is even more effective if you're in the Navy.

I would imagine it is alot harder to leave when you are "taken" but then again, you don't have to worry about "finding" someone later iether...

Thanks for the Posts guys, I appreciated it, and im sure others have as well!

PS NIck scott you forgot about the "Nun-chuck skills"!!  ;) ;D

I may only be 17 (18 in January), but I believe that a solid relationship is built on trust. My boyfriend wanted to join the Regs before he met me, and has now decided on the Reserves mainly because it's part-time and he wants to go to College and be a Police Officer. I admire his ambition and his passion for the Army, so I support him in everything he wants to do. If he wanted to go Regs, I would support him there as well.
Slim2
:cdn:

It may take going through a few (or alot) of women but eventually you should be able to find someone to put up with the military lifestyle. At first you probably wont even want a gf because you'll be too busy being a drunk but when you do decide its time to settle down, try not to get one who will put the soap box in the window everytime you leave.  >:D

camochick said:
It may take going through a few (or alot) of women but eventually you should be able to find someone to put up with the military lifestyle. At first you probably wont even want a gf because you'll be too busy being a drunk but when you do decide its time to settle down, try not to get one who will put the soap box in the window everytime you leave.   >:D

too funny, but true...

NavalGent said:
On the other hand, you may be more likely to get into a relationship because of the "I'm in the army" line. This sort of tactic is even more effective if you're in the Navy.

This is, ahem... debatable...  ;D

camochick said:
try not to get one who will put the soap box in the window everytime you leave.  
(Attempt at innocence..ON)
What, you don't think it's admirable for someone to offer doing laundry to pass the time?
(Bad attempt at innocence ..OFF)

Perhaps the poll above should also include a "Married Service Couple" choice. Those of us married to other serving members sometimes face unique situations such as being simultaneously deployed. I would be interested to see the stats on that. But it also has it's benefits as well, I know what the service expects of 9er because it also expects it of me. Sometimes it's harder, but sometimes it's easier. Is it just me or is anybody else noticing the huge increase in the trend of marrying someone else who's also in? It was an easy choice for me...I love a man in uniform...especially an ARMY man (Sorry NavalGent). Ironic thing is that I was posted in Halifax at the time and met this Airborne boy from Pet...the posting request was in (yeah that's why I volunteered to go there) and I ended up loving him and the Army way of life. The rest is history. Every one of the singles that work for me now are dating other military pers, perhaps the best choice to understand the ups/downs and stresses that come with service to your Country?? :-\  Oh yeah...but some of them have been through an awful lot of military dates as well!!  >:D

armyvern said:
Oh yeah...but some of them have been through an awful lot of military dates as well!!  >:D

Always interesting in today's climate of harassment complaints and the like. I guess the old adage "how do porcupines mate...? very carefully!" applies to soldiers as well  ;D

Single, and staying that way for a damned long time!! My last attempt at a relationship has pushed back the commitement cycle by at least 3-4 years.

With dating, marrying or doing whatever with a service member does take a special and unique kind of individual and it is definatly not for everyone.  And yes, you must be cautious of the soap box carriers...they are the 'extra special' type.  As to finding someone while in the service...I know most girls would love to date a man in uniform...

Mike_R23A said:
Always interesting in today's climate of harassment complaints and the like. I guess the old adage "how do porcupines mate...? very carefully!" applies to soldiers as well   ;D

Thankfully, I do NOT have dating co-workers bandying about Clothing Stores....but there does seem to be an awful lot of Infantry guys interested in dating Supply females??? I wonder why that is??? Do infantry guys get bonus points for this??

armyvern said:
Thankfully, I do NOT have dating co-workers bandying about Clothing Stores....but there does seem to be an awful lot of Infantry guys interested in dating Supply females??? I wonder why that is??? Do infantry guys get bonus points for this??

Supply females? Infantry guys are interested in dating females of any trade!

Though supply females may be able to obtain some of that gucci kit you hide behind the counters, that's the bonus!  ;D

it doesnt matter what trade you are. It even hapens that instructors in St-jean dtae their recruits. So I think ti doesnt matr what trade or where you are. Its all over the place.

Mike_R23A said:
Supply females? Infantry guys are interested in dating females of any trade!

Though supply females may be able to obtain some of that gucci kit you hide behind the counters, that's the bonus!   ;D

I only say this because every female working in Clothing here who is married....is married to an RCR.  ::)

armouredgirl680 said:
it doesnt matter what trade you are. It even hapens that instructors in St-jean dtae their recruits. So I think ti doesnt matr what trade or where you are. Its all over the place.

The difference is, that is ethically wrong, and clearly verboten. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it shouldn't.

armyvern said:
I only say this because every female working in Clothing here who is married....is married to an RCR.   ::)

Interesting...  ;D

Well it still  hapens and it will never change .It hapened to me  that my other half fell in love with one of his recruits.

{quote]Though supply females may be able to obtain some of that gucci kit you hide behind the counters, that's the bonus![/quote]

*SNORT!*

Are you kidding?

When you are married to a Bin Rat, all the Gucci stuff gets locked up even tighter, because "I don't want it to look like you get special treatment because I'm married to you!"

I get to see it. I get to know when it is coming in. But no touchee untill everybody else has it.  :crybaby:

DG

DG-41 said:
{quote]Though supply females may be able to obtain some of that gucci kit you hide behind the counters, that's the bonus!

*SNORT!*

Are you kidding?

When you are married to a Bin Rat, all the Gucci stuff gets locked up even tighter, because "I don't want it to look like you get special treatment because I'm married to you!"

I get to see it. I get to know when it is coming in. But no touchee untill everybody else has it.   :crybaby:

DG

Also because a certain Sgt knows a certain Warrant would be looking across the counter with a raised eyebrow asking WTF?   ;) ;D

Back